Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 06-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415
Default This could size up as a monster AFC war

I know, I know, one blown out ACL later (like last year) and it could all change. But as things stand right now, it looks like the battle to win the AFC this season could be insane, with the Steelers right in the middle of the hunt, in my opinion.

1. Pgh - Current world champs, who have done nothing but gotten better on paper (I know, I know - on paper, but sometimes it translates to real life.) OL - the weak link - has jelled for a season and has chemistry going for it (if not all the much talent, I know.) But chemistry is big. I am sure Ben will have the fellas over for another week at the lake house, further cementing the camaraderie of the guys. Plus new OG might be an upgrade. Getting the rookies from last year back this year is like having had two drafts this season, with Mendenhal ready to be a real contributor and punter offering way better than the rubbish we had after he went down. Sweed, without question, will be much more productive. Timmons will be a much bigger play maker than Foote. Ben will be even more seasoned after his 2nd SB win. He is approaching his prime.

Only potential fault - other than injuries, as always - is the loss of B-Mac. I am trusting the front office/coaching knows what they are doing in not sweating that position, but, to be honest, I believe whatever their plan is, it will still be a downgrade for this season in that spot over last year. No rookie or back up, is going to outperform what Mac gave us. No way. But with Timmons, etc. the opposing QB might have even less time to throw so it might not matter.

2. NE - With the best coach and QB in the league, you can't count them out. Their offense is ready to just blow threw the roof, with all those weapons and a pissed off Brady ready to tear everyone a new a-hole. But their D in is some what of a flux. Their front 7 is not nearly as beastly as it once was, with Seymore and company no longer being super human. Secondary is still suspect. But, bottom line, they should be formidable over all.

3. TN - Fisher just keeps putting out tough teams, other than his off years when he losses so much to free agency. He hasn't lost THAT much this year and he has depth. Lendell White has checked into OTAs down 20 pounds and looking hungry for first time in his career. Chris Johnson is a legit home run, every down runner. With a nice draft, TN could very well be a 12+ win team once again and a real threat in the play offs.

4. Indy/SD/Balt/Miami - not sure which one of these teams will remain a threat, but at least one of them will. You might scoff at Miami, but with Tuna, he usually keeps making advancement and he will have more talent than they had last year plus a better understanding from entire team on what they expect. Plus, J-Peezy said they are the team to beat in the East. LOL. I am not counting out Balt. even though they seemingly lost a lot on D. I just have a feeling they will find a way to keep the D very tough, with their QB now no longer a rookie with more play makers to work with.

Bottom line, Pgh is in it, but they will need some breaks, or at least, not bad breaks, to win the conference again. But there is no question, as we sit here and now, Pgh is right in the mix to win it again. But I suspect it will be a very competitive year. Got to like our schedule though. One could say, it was our nasty, tough schedule that put us in a hardened mode to win it all last year, which I don't disagree with. However, you don't want a schedule of wars all year long each season. I feel the cream puff schedule is a nice switch this season.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #2
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931
Default Re: This could size up as a monster AFC war

If Brady is not mobile or goes down again, then you can rewrite this thread. Miami will be tough, but they don't have enough depth to go deep in the playoffs. The Chargers have Norv Turner which equals one and done. Indy should win their home games mostly, but on the road they could end up splitting. Too much coaching change for them to be considered going to the SB. TN lost their best defensive player and have a systems QB. They may struggle early and then come on towards the second half of the season. Fisher is a good coach, but he doesn;t have enough talent on the field.

I still say the Steelers have a better chance of repeating than any of the above mentioned teams even with the media hype for the Pats. All the team needs to do is stay healthy and we should win #7 which could look a lot like SB XIV.
AllD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
JackHammer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 5640

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllD View Post
If Brady is not mobile or goes down again, then you can rewrite this thread.
The problem is, it doesn't take much mobility to move around inside of the pocket like Brady does. He makes his living inside the pocket, not outside. He'll have to knock off some rust to be more nimble within the pocket, but beyond that I expect his knee to be strong enough to move within the pocket quite well. He has a solid o-line and weapons that will get open a lot. Once the rust is gone, and the timing is back, the plays will develop fast enough that he won't have to move very far at all because, more often than not, the ball will be out before the pressure gets to him. I'd worry more about how his knee holds up to him throwing off of it 30-40 times a game.
JackHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

Behind our o-line he'd get his neck snapped every game. Brady is hella NOT MOBILE. I'd say very comparable to Rivers, no joke. Have you guys seen him run his 40?

Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post

2. NE - With the best coach and QB in the league.

Sorry this thread loses all validity with that statement.

C'mon man!

It is apparent that the media has brainwashed you like so many other naive people who have just swept the CHEATING under the rug.

Dude that statement just baffles the mind. The best in the league? Pfffft. They haven't won a title without the video help and blatent holding by the o-line. Belicheck and Brady will ALWAYS be cheating shitstains! Gooddeal made sure the refs looked the other way when the o-line held during thier ALMOST perfect season so that the whole cheating thing could be easier to dismiss. Once on the big stage and the WHOLE WORLD was watching the refs had to call the holding and therefor the Giants pass rush was able to smash that asschin in the mouth.

Belicheat and Marsha can swing from my ass hair!

Besides, if the Jets new rookie QB can come in and make some plays the Jets will win that division.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,951 Times in 3,405 Posts

Quote:

Besides, if the Jets new rookie QB can come in and make some plays the Jets will win that division.
talk about losing validity...

Old 06-10-2009, 10:34 PM   #7
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

indy is gonna fall apart with dungy,mudd,moore gone it is already affecting them peyton is crying about the assistant coaching staff already maybe a 10 win but doubt it

SD is on the slope backwards and wil continue the slide

ratbirds- their defense is falling by the wayside id be suprised if they do anything this year. i think film study of wacco wil catch up to him this year 8-8 tops

miami - fluke season last year might be 9-7 but i think that wins the division the the cheats

TN- might be a 10 to 12 win team

NE- karma starts to take over (and i have to agree with HotG on this one except the jets thing)

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:43 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,951 Times in 3,405 Posts

mudd and moore arent "gone".

they now have "front office advisory" positions.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Screw the Patsies. I don't think they did enough to replace their defensive players. A$$CHIN won't see the field enough to run the score up because teams will be doing that to them. Moss is getting old. Brady is a gimp. They screwed people every which way two years ago and people have LONG memories. Their schedule is tougher this year than last year so, although they may win their division, they will be playing on the road if they get past the Wild Card game where they get knocked out. No way they win every game this time around. Hopefully Belicheat finally gets fired after this season.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:02 AM   #10
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Of The GODS View Post

Sorry this thread loses all validity with that statement.

C'mon man!

It is apparent that the media has brainwashed you like so many other naive people who have just swept the CHEATING under the rug.

Dude that statement just baffles the mind. The best in the league? Pfffft. They haven't won a title without the video help and blatent holding by the o-line. Belicheck and Brady will ALWAYS be cheating shitstains! Gooddeal made sure the refs looked the other way when the o-line held during thier ALMOST perfect season so that the whole cheating thing could be easier to dismiss. Once on the big stage and the WHOLE WORLD was watching the refs had to call the holding and therefor the Giants pass rush was able to smash that asschin in the mouth.

Belicheat and Marsha can swing from my ass hair!

C'mon Man, you're better than that. Statements like that make you sound like a Cryhawks or Cardinals fan.
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote