Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-12-2009, 05:06 AM   #1
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Questions about Ziggy

Ok. I was doing some surfing and came across a few things about Ziggy Hood that made me wonder.

1. Ziggy is 6-2 1/2, 300 pounds. He ran a 4.88 at the combine, and a 4.83 thereafter, BECAUSE HE DIDNT LIKE THE COMBINE NUMBERS. Yeah, he went home and workedout to get better numbers. What does THAT say about the guy... but that isn't part of the question.

2. At the combine,
Quote:
he was ranked first among the draft's defensive tackles in 10-yard burst (1.62 seconds), 20-yard burst (2.81 seconds) and shuttle run (4.55 seconds).
3. In comparison, He is taller, skinnier, and faster than B.J. Rajii, with less character issues, 30 pounds less weight.

Now...

Is it just me, or does it seem that Ziggy has the bigger upside? He doesn't struggle with weight, but is a full inch to inch and a half taller. He DEFINITELY has the frame to put on another 10 to 15 pounds with it not affecting too much of his speed. 315 aint a bad playing weight there.

Some draft guru's (choke) say that he doesn't have the ability to be an anchor... but how do they say that? Again, he benched (by 1) more than Rajii and moved faster than him. Is it ONLY because of the weight? That is easy to fix. http://cfn.scout.com/2/840504.html

Then, have any of you read about the kid and his character? Check out this article when he was drafted. Read especially what his girlfriend and best friend says about him, and them. You are judged by the company you keep. . . and this kid is impressive. Both of them seem to have a head on their shoulders. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09116/965729-66.stm

So in the end my questions are...

1. How can this kid be seen as not having a high ceiling? Even though some think he has already maxed out, the metrix and the attitude say different.

2. How in the world do we continue to get high-calibur, high-character players?

3. How can Rajii be rated as so much better, with such a great upside, when this kids' metrics beat Rajii's in most places, INCLUDING second team academic all american.

3b. Do you think he is scared of Harrison yet?
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:42 AM   #2
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560
Default Re: Questions about Ziggy

The only pre-draft knock that I heard about Hood was that his lower body strength wasn't so great. I don't know??? That sounds like an easy fix to me.

Nice research Preacher, it does look as if the Steelers aquired the best overall D-Lineman in the draft.
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:25 AM   #3
Hapa
Banned

Member Number: 8230

I love the speed and agility he has but if his lower body strength is bad, that's a huge issue. Guys have to build that up all the way from high school, it's not something you can fix in one offseason.

Lower body strength is MUCH more important than any bench press or upper body lift. I don't understand why the combine tests the bench press, it really is pointless. How much someone can squat or power clean is a much better indication of their power.
Hapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:40 AM   #4
BubbyBrister
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 10741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Ok. I was doing some surfing and came across a few things about Ziggy Hood that made me wonder.

1. What does THAT say about the guy... but that isn't part of the question.
It says that he felt lower numbers might get him drafted higher, or in the first round.
You'd be surprised how motivating a few extra million dollars can be :)

On a more serious note, I like the extra effort.
BubbyBrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:42 AM   #5
BubbyBrister
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 10741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa View Post
Lower body strength is MUCH more important than any bench press or upper body lift. I don't understand why the combine tests the bench press, it really is pointless. How much someone can squat or power clean is a much better indication of their power.
True.

However, they are also much more dangerous lifts. Not to mention the amount of weight that they would put up on a squat...you couldn't really have spotters.

I'm sure that with the Bench, these guys pretty much push to failure and the spotters catch/guide the weight, since even 1 rep short of what you were expected to get can mean a big money difference.

Going to failure, or pushing so hard on a squat that you pass out (happens) in order to save a few $$$ would probably be a bad idea, and poor asset management for the league.
BubbyBrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa View Post
I love the speed and agility he has but if his lower body strength is bad, that's a huge issue. Guys have to build that up all the way from high school, it's not something you can fix in one offseason.
One offseason no, but over a couple offseason, you definitely can make a big difference. Squats do WONDERS for legs. The bigger question is whether he has a large percentage of quick twitch or slow twitch muscle. If he was able to improve his time by .05 seconds in just a few weeks, I have a feeling he has a decent percentage of fast twitch muscle, and that can be built, quite fast comparatively.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #7
triphahn
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13282

The Steelers obviously put a great deal of time, effort and manpower into evaluating their draft picks. They rely so heavily on the draft that a bad pick can set them back quite a bit. I am going to go out on a limb and say hood is going to be a bad ass in the NFL.
triphahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:31 PM   #8
The Definiti0n
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13192

I seen alot of draft boards having him rated higher than Tyson Jackson and Perry. I think this years draft was another case of teams reaching for need instead of taking BPA. Thus allowing another stud to land in our lap. I.E. Mendenhall
Old 06-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #9
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
3. How can Rajii be rated as so much better, with such a great upside, when this kids' metrics beat Rajii's in most places, INCLUDING second team academic all american.
I don't know, but I have to say everything I've seen of Raji was damn impressive. It seriously looked like his opponents were trying to block a bull. I wouldn't rate him as anything less than a top-of-the-line DT prospect; maybe one of the most game-ready DTs to come straight out of college in years.

Why Hood isn't considered on the same level, I don't know. Might have to do with the fact that Raji is a true nose tackle, which are considered a higher-value pick than a DE propect because they're harder to come by. Or maybe Hood somehow flew under the radar. But while I understand Raji going high just based on pure explosiveness, I cant explain why 6 other DLs went ahead of Hood.

But I'm glad they did, because otherwise we wouldn't have gotten him!
Old 06-12-2009, 07:58 PM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
I don't know, but I have to say everything I've seen of Raji was damn impressive. It seriously looked like his opponents were trying to block a bull. I wouldn't rate him as anything less than a top-of-the-line DT prospect; maybe one of the most game-ready DTs to come straight out of college in years.

Why Hood isn't considered on the same level, I don't know. Might have to do with the fact that Raji is a true nose tackle, which are considered a higher-value pick than a DE propect because they're harder to come by. Or maybe Hood somehow flew under the radar. But while I understand Raji going high just based on pure explosiveness, I cant explain why 6 other DLs went ahead of Hood.

But I'm glad they did, because otherwise we wouldn't have gotten him!
Yep.

And you make a good point about the difference between a true nose guard and a DE.

I just wonder what happens if this kid puts on the 30 pounds, preferably in muscle, lower body especially, as he already seems to have the upper body muscle.