Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-13-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default How does Tomlin need to improve?

As mentioned in several articles Tomlin says he needs to get better. Of the duties of a head coach (in no particular order and please add to the the list) how do you folks think he needs to improve?

1. Hiring and managing the coaching staff
2. Providing input on drafting college players
3. Coaching the players during practices.
4. Dealing with distractions.
5. Adjusting the depth chart. (i.e deciding who starts)
6. Managing the playbook by adding or deleting plays
7, Overriding the OC or DC play calling during the game.
8 Halftime adjustments
9. Having the team ready to play on every Sunday.
10. Dealing with the media.
11. Working with the owner/front office
12. Game day coaching and side line behavior.
13. Disciplining the players and maintaining control of the team.
14. Leading the team.

Thoughts anyone?
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
triphahn
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13282
Default Re: How does Tomlin need to improve?

Right now I am so optomistic about our team. You put a great quarterback behind our defense and the potential to go all the way is there every year. When you add a coach like Tomlin our chances grow exponentially. Looking at the list you can give him pretty solid grades all the way down. Whats most impressive is that coming off an incredible season that was capped off with a Superbowl victory in only his second season and he is still very hungry, very humble and very capable. God I love the Steelers.
triphahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
As mentioned in several articles Tomlin says he needs to get better. Of the duties of a head coach (in no particular order and please add to the the list) how do you folks think he needs to improve?

2. Providing input on drafting college players
3. Coaching the players during practices.
4. Dealing with distractions.
5. Adjusting the depth chart. (i.e deciding who starts)
6. Managing the playbook by adding or deleting plays
8 Halftime adjustments
9. Having the team ready to play on every Sunday.
10. Dealing with the media.
11. Working with the owner/front office
12. Game day coaching and side line behavior.
13. Disciplining the players and maintaining control of the team.
14. Leading the team.

Thoughts anyone?
There is no way any of us are in position to even evaluate most of the things on your list. But from what I've seen and heard, he is awesome at most everything. No one can say he doesn't have the team ready to play. No one can say he doesn't do well as the coach. One of the only things that stands out on the list is overriding OC or DC to find the right plays. I have to say that sticking to a one-back formation and trying to run the ball on too many first and second downs in that formation is simply a waste of a play. THAT I find frustrating and THAT I feel MT should be overriding and fixing so Ben's job isn't that much harder.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
There is no way any of us are in position to even evaluate most of the things on your list. But from what I've seen and heard, he is awesome at most everything. No one can say he doesn't have the team ready to play. No one can say he doesn't do well as the coach. One of the only things that stands out on the list is overriding OC or DC to find the right plays. I have to say that sticking to a one-back formation and trying to run the ball on too many first and second downs in that formation is simply a waste of a play. THAT I find frustrating and THAT I feel MT should be overriding and fixing so Ben's job isn't that much harder.
ever think he might WANT a 1 back system? Just food for thought....

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:12 PM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
You have to remember that Tomlin is a coach with a defensive background.

Also, from everything I have read is that Bruce Arians' offense is one that doesn't often use a fullback. Tomlin agreed to that when he made Arians the OC.

Not to mention that Tomlin is a guy who lets his coaches coach. He isn't the control freak type like Gruden.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

IMO, Tomlin's biggest weakness and most needed area of improvement is knowing when to throw the challenge flag. The latest example was Fitz's first TD catch in the SB - he clearly dropped it on the replay and I wish MT would have challenged it. I know he has someone in the booth advising him what plays to challenge, but as HC, he needs to make the call on his own at times as well. This is, however, a very small complaint and I have confidence he will get better at it, though.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

He needs to dig up some of Cowher's play books and get some running plays and especially screens.......The screens last year were atrocious.......They need to work on the screens in practice to fool our D........He also needs to work on the play selection in the red zone.......Another not so good season last year.....We could have scored 40 plus points in the SB........Have several 4- 6 down sets of plays rehearsed and memorized so we do not have to huddle.......It will confuse D's........No huddle in the red zone is a defense killer when the offense is in sinc.......And we need a little bit more quick passes.......That flusters all the timing of the defenses......Ben gotta start calling all of the plays.....I think he is ready........This is what will make mike a better coach........And a Mohawk for camp.........
Old 06-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,128 Times in 2,634 Posts

i think tomlin was being kinda humble yet clearly showing he was the captain when he said he needs to improve.

i think he is the shit and he knows it.

i think he will continue to focus on improving watching film and dissecting other coaches tendencies.

Quote:
1. he must be willing to cut ties and loyalties with larry z. if the line doesnt show improvement this season. 3 years is enough. he showed he can do it with players by letting mahan go and upgrading with hartwig.

7. i think he kinda did this last year and told arians to get back to the run near the end of the season. tomlin and him do have differing offensive philosophies, but tomlin is an "if it aint broke, dont fix it" kinda guy, hence him not switching lebeau or the 3-4.

in the SB there is sideline audio of tomlin predicting what the cardinals were gonna do on that final play at the goal line, and telling lebeau what play they were gonna run. he left it up to lebeau to actually call the defensive play and put james harrison into place to intercept the ball and return it 100 yards.

this is what tomlin and every coach constantly need to work on getting better at.

the actual chess match itself.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
IMO, Tomlin's biggest weakness and most needed area of improvement is knowing when to throw the challenge flag. The latest example was Fitz's first TD catch in the SB - he clearly dropped it on the replay and I wish MT would have challenged it. I know he has someone in the booth advising him what plays to challenge, but as HC, he needs to make the call on his own at times as well. This is, however, a very small complaint and I have confidence he will get better at it, though.
Excellent point! I agree he needs to be better in this area and I have confidence that as he gains experience he will.

I think Tomlin showed a lot of improvement from his first year to his second year in having his players ready on game day.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:18 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,128 Times in 2,634 Posts

oh, and isnt tomlin something like 0-7 in 4:15 games? he needs to improve that.

can no lose...!