Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-20-2009, 04:11 AM   #41
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Patriots can be king of all eras

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughC View Post
Just to put some perspective in to this debate, the guy is not talking about the best franchise of all time....
Uh, yeah, he is, and he's practically already handing them this coming season's Lombardi to boot:

Quote:
With three Lombardi Trophies in the 2000s, the Patriots [team stats] have staked a claim as the NFL’s team of the decade. A fourth Super Bowl and 12 more regular-season victories in 2009 would allow the Patriots to stake their claim as the team for all decades.

The Patriots are loaded, again, and the return of a healthy Tom Brady makes them the team to beat in 2009. So we’ll place Bill Belichick’s crew atop our annual offseason rankings.
I don't see how one doesn't get "best team ever" out of that. It's as clear as day. Don't know about you, but I've gotten really tired of seeing that team get sucked off by the sports media at large on an annual basis when they have won NOTHING for almost 5 years now.

Quote:
....just win another championship and let the results speak for themselves.
Yeah, right. We win another championship (like this past season) or if any other team wins it, for that matter, it'll be pretty much a given that Tommy Terrific and his merry band of metrosexuals will be picked as the "team to beat" once again in 2010. It's so predictable you could set your watch by it.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:22 AM   #42
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Uh, yeah, he is, and he's practically already handing them this coming season's Lombardi to boot:

I don't see how one doesn't get "best team ever" out of that. It's as clear as day. Don't know about you, but I've gotten really tired of seeing that team get sucked off by the sports media at large on an annual basis when they have won NOTHING for almost 5 years now.

Yeah, right. We win another championship (like this past season) or if any other team wins it, for that matter, it'll be pretty much a given that Tommy Terrific and his merry band of metrosexuals will be picked as the "team to beat" once again in 2010. It's so predictable you could set your watch by it.

It's hard to believe how much the patsies get blown by virtually every media outlet.

This one here just blows me away:
Quote:
A fourth Super Bowl and 12 more regular-season victories in 2009 would allow the Patriots to stake their claim as the team for all decades.
All decades??? How the f**k do you figure that!? The steelers owned the 70's. The 49ers owned the 80's. The cowboys owned the 90's. The Raiders have as many Superbowl wins as the patr*ts, plus... they are the only team to play in the Superbowl in 4 out of the last 5 decades. The patr*ts did nothing during those decades but suck ass! Everything about this article and the patr*ots is a f**king joke!
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:35 AM   #43
The Patriot
Head Coach

Member Number: 7750

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
It's hard to believe how much the patsies get blown by virtually every media outlet.

This one here just blows me away:

All decades??? How the f**k do you figure that!? The steelers owned the 70's. The 49ers owned the 80's. The cowboys owned the 90's. The Raiders have as many Superbowl wins as the patr*ts, plus... they are the only team to play in the Superbowl in 4 out of the last 5 decades. The patr*ts did nothing during those decades but suck ass! Everything about this article and the patr*ots is a f**king joke!
Yes, you've mentioned that twice already. It's very impressive.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #44
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

I'm dunmer for having read that drivel.

The Pats* can call me when they win 4 in 6 years.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #45
silver & black
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
Yes, you've mentioned that twice already. It's very impressive.
It is... isn't it?

Too bad there is NOTHING impressive about your cheating ass team.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #46
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,953 Times in 1,846 Posts

See cheating does pay off.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #47
HughC
Starter

Member Number: 8512

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
. . . . .
. . . . .
I can certainly see where you get that point of view; but respectfully, I disagree with your assessment of the article. Let's look again at exactly what the columnist wrote:

Quote:
With three Lombardi Trophies in the 2000s, the Patriots have staked a claim as the NFL’s team of the decade.
He's not crowning them; he's saying with three SB's they're in the discussion for team of the decade.

Quote:
A fourth Super Bowl and 12 more regular-season victories in 2009 would allow the Patriots to stake their claim as the team for all decades.
Now he's saying that if they win the SB this year then (a) they would be team of the decade, and (b) they're in the discussion of which 'team of the decade' is the best 'team of the decade.' Again, not crowning them; the columnist is saying if they win, then the discussion starts.

Quote:
The Pats joined the 1972 Miami Dolphins as the only teams in NFL history to play a perfect regular season, posting a 16-0 mark in 2007. The Patriots also matched the feat of the 1990s Cowboys by winning three Super Bowls in a span of four years (2001-04).
Shame on the writer for not pointing out that the Pats failed to seal the deal in regards to the unbeaten season when comparing them to the Dolphins. And shame on mentioning three in four without mentioning four in six.

Quote:
Another Super Bowl in 2009 would allow the Patriots to match the 1970s Steelers and 1980s 49ers with four titles in a decade.
Nothing untruthful there.

Quote:
A 12-victory regular season would give the Pats 114 wins in the decade, breaking the NFL mark of 113 set by the San Francisco 49ers in the 1990s.
I'll take this one with a grain of salt. On one hand there are now 16 games in a regular season - again, something the writer should have mentioned if he was going to use this stat. On the other hand the combination of free agency and a salary cap does make it far more difficult to win consistently now in comparison to back then, so I'd say it's a wash.

And BTW, this whole discussion - and how fans tend to look at dynasties - is by the decade. Yes, the 49ers did have an incredible ten year run but generally speaking football fans compare 'team of the 70's' vs 'team of the 80's' vs 'team of the 90's', etc - which is what this writer is doing. What the 49ers did from the middle of one decade to the middle of another decade is splitting hairs and irrelevant.

Quote:
The Patriots are loaded, again, and the return of a healthy Tom Brady makes them the team to beat in 2009. So we’ll place Bill Belichick’s crew atop our annual offseason rankings.
A rather overly simplistic analysis, but it is only June. So he ranks them first, big whoop. Seems to me from past experience that better things happen when all is said and done when the team is not the preseason favorite.

Besides, if I can only have one to choose from, isn't a post-season championship a whole lot more gratifying than a preseason number one ranking?

Bottom line that I got out if this is the writer says that if the Pats win the Super Bowl, then they are the team of the decade and they enter the discussion of who is the best "best team of the decade"? They're not going to win that title, but a fourth Super Bowl championship would earn them entrance to the discussion along with the Steelers, Cowboys and 49ers. But unless or until that happens, they're still on the second tier.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #48
The Patriot
Head Coach

Member Number: 7750

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
It is... isn't it?

Too bad there is NOTHING impressive about your cheating ass team.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #49
silver & black
Team President

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Patriot View Post
What a let down. I thought you would have more than a worn out picture as a come back.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:58 PM   #50
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
I can certainly see where you get that point of view; but respectfully, I disagree with your assessment of the article. Let's look again at exactly what the columnist wrote....
Excellent points. I can see now why you read the article the way you did as well.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote