Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-17-2009, 03:47 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,584 Times in 1,518 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Steelers RB Parker sprinting to stay ahead

Following a recent Steelers practice, Willie Parker stayed on the field after many of his teammates had retired to the showers.

He ran a series of sprints and at times had a sled with weights on it strapped to his bulging shoulders. After the extra work that is the rule rather than the exception for Parker, the sixth-year veteran said something that may bode well for a running game that proved to be rather pedestrian last season.

"I'm getting that speed back like I had two or three years ago," Parker said while still trying to catch his breath. "I'm faster than I've been."

The Steelers are counting on a healthy Parker he missed fives games in 2008 with knee and shoulder problems to bolster a running attack that ranked 23rd in the NFL last season with just under 106 yards per game.

And after averaging a career-low 3.8 yards per carry Parker is returning to his roots in that he is carrying himself as the player who broke into the NFL as an undrafted free agent not the player who has made a pair of Pro Bowls and nearly won a rushing title in 2007.

"That's my mindset, man, just going back to my first year and doing the things I used to do," Parker said.

"He wants to be better so he's working a little harder than he did last year, and I don't blame the guy," Steelers running backs coach Kirby Wilson said. "He's got a lot to prove in his mind, and he's on a mission to accomplish that so my hat's off to him."

One thing the 5-foot-10, 209-pounder wants to prove is that he is not entering the downside of his career, which can often be the case with 28-year-old running backs who have absorbed a lot of hits as Parker has.

In that sense, it is a critical time for Parker and not just because he is entering the final year of his contract. Rashard Mendenhall, the Steelers' first-round draft pick in 2008, has fully recovered from a shoulder injury that prematurely ended his rookie season.

The Steelers are hoping Mendenhall can make the kind of jump that 2007 first-round pick Lawrence Timmons did in his second season. Coach Mike Tomlin is noncommittal, however, when asked how Mendenhall will factor into the running game this season.

"I'm just simply asking him to have the savvy and awareness of a second-year player," Tomlin said. "How he plays will determine his role."

There is little doubt that Mendenhall will push Parker if he stays healthy, something the latter said he welcomes.

"I love to compete," Parker said, "and Rashard's getting it out of me."

That was evident a couple weeks ago when rain forced the Steelers to practice indoors. Parker stayed afterwards to run. He was still working out even after some of his teammates had already changed and left the team's South Side facility.

Parker didn't run from the time the Steelers won the Super Bowl at the beginning of February until they resumed practicing in late April. It's apparent, however, that he hardly neglected his conditioning.

And that he has since made up for lost time.

Parker's stomach is flatter than a chess board, and he boasts a ripped upper body as well.

While the Steelers are finished with practice until the start of training camp at the end of July, Parker said he plans to push himself even harder while he is away.

His training will include regular sessions in his native North Carolina and Florida so he can incorporate heat and humidity into the workouts.

Tomlin said last week the top priority for the Steelers players should be returning for camp in good shape. One player he will not have to worry about in that regard is Parker.

"I love the work ethic," Wilson said of Parker, "and I think he sets a great example not only just for the young guys, but his teammates overall because he's putting it in."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_629795.html
Old 06-17-2009, 04:09 AM   #2
BlockMonsta
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13642
Default Re: Steelers RB Parker sprinting to stay ahead

Good, I am a big fan of FWP and hope that we resign him. But at the same time, I want to see what Mendenhall can do. And that SHOULD happen if our OC is willing to use Mendenhall and Co even with a healthy WP..which did not happen much last season.
BlockMonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:49 AM   #3
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
He ran a series of sprints and at times had a sled with weights on it strapped to his bulging shoulders. After the extra work that is the rule rather than the exception for Parker, the sixth-year veteran said something that may bode well for a running game that proved to be rather pedestrian last season.

"I'm getting that speed back like I had two or three years ago," Parker said while still trying to catch his breath. "I'm faster than I've been."
It sounds like FWP is in fantastic shape. Between our stable of backs and hopefully developing a few maulers on the line, we could really have a decent running game this year....last year was depressing at times, quite honestly.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:59 AM   #4
The Definiti0n
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13192

[Should I mention Frank Summers now or....[insert sarcasm smiley here]
Old 06-17-2009, 07:24 AM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Definiti0n View Post
wait for the sarcasm smiley!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:33 AM   #6
LambertLunatic
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2563

Quote:
Good, I am a big fan of FWP and hope that we resign him.
I like FWP, but he's not likely to last much longer. I can't see resigning him at his age, considering the wear and tear he's already had on his body. This is especially true since there very well might not even be a 2011 season due to the CBA. The Steelers stay consistently good by knowing when to cut a player loose. The only way we resign Willie is if he gives a HUGE hometown discount, which he'd be foolish to do. He's probably doing his last contract, and would want to break someone's bank.
LambertLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:00 AM   #7
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambertLunatic View Post
I like FWP, but he's not likely to last much longer. I can't see resigning him at his age, considering the wear and tear he's already had on his body. This is especially true since there very well might not even be a 2011 season due to the CBA. The Steelers stay consistently good by knowing when to cut a player loose. The only way we resign Willie is if he gives a HUGE hometown discount, which he'd be foolish to do. He's probably doing his last contract, and would want to break someone's bank.

I think FWP will be with us. I don't think he will try to break the bank. Mendy Still has to show that he can be the back this year. Mendy somehow has already been crowned the next great back and has not done anything in the NFL to date. I think we need to take a wait and see approach.

My best scenario would be to have both backs as a combination THE FAST AND THE FURIOUS
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

I would like to see FWP stick around for his entire career. He is a STEELER and a great story of beating the odds and a very hard worker with great character and class. Good luck in 2009 Willie!!!!!
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #9
Rek
Starter

Member Number: 10681

THAT'S my boy!! Get that speed back baby. Nothing scarier than a running back that is powerful and big enough to shake off defenders and still cut and sprint to the holes and outside.

A motivated FWP is FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC for the Steelers!
Old 06-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #10
mmalone
Team Captain

Member Number: 13521

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Definiti0n View Post
Dude, Summers is trying to be the #1 Fullback... 245lb

A job Mendy, moore and willie are not big enough for....

Summers is trying to beat out Davis and McHugh and do better than russell....

Do you see summers in another position?