Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2009, 04:19 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter
 
Galax Steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Galax Va
Posts: 89,870
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3287
Thanks: 1,017
Thanked 3,160 Times in 1,342 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Family Outraged After Quadriplegic Marine Denied Free Admission to Michigan Amusement

* Print
* ShareThis

The family of a U.S. Marine is outraged after a Michigan amusement park insisted on charging the veteran admission to enter the park despite his being a quadriplegic -- according to a newspaper report.

Heather Lovell told the Grand Rapids Press that she had been at the park acting as a chaperone for a children's group, and her fiance, Joshua Hoffman, was just meeting up with her there briefly before she took him to his stepbrother's graduation.

But even after she explained that Hoffman had been paralyzed in 2007 by a sniper's bullet in Iraq and is unable to speak, let alone go on rides, the park insisted both Hoffman and his nurse could not join her in the park without paying, Lovell told the Press

"It was really just outrageous," she said. "He is not physically going on any rides."

Michigan's Adventure General Manager Camille Jourden-Mark said park policy requires even non-participants to pay the admission fee.

"We just can't be in a position of picking and choosing. We have grandparents (who pay admission) that come in our park every day that have no intention of ever going on a ride," she told the Grand Rapids Press.

Jourden-Mark later offered the family complimentary passes for Hoffman and a guest, the Press reported. Lovell said she has not decided whether they will use the passes.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,526986,00.html
__________________
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:03 AM   #2
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter
 
stlrtruck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 8,783
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2398
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Family Outraged After Quadriplegic Marine Denied Free Admission to Michigan Amuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
* Print
* ShareThis

The family of a U.S. Marine is outraged after a Michigan amusement park insisted on charging the veteran admission to enter the park despite his being a quadriplegic -- according to a newspaper report.

Heather Lovell told the Grand Rapids Press that she had been at the park acting as a chaperone for a children's group, and her fiance, Joshua Hoffman, was just meeting up with her there briefly before she took him to his stepbrother's graduation.

But even after she explained that Hoffman had been paralyzed in 2007 by a sniper's bullet in Iraq and is unable to speak, let alone go on rides, the park insisted both Hoffman and his nurse could not join her in the park without paying, Lovell told the Press

"It was really just outrageous," she said. "He is not physically going on any rides."

Michigan's Adventure General Manager Camille Jourden-Mark said park policy requires even non-participants to pay the admission fee.

"We just can't be in a position of picking and choosing. We have grandparents (who pay admission) that come in our park every day that have no intention of ever going on a ride," she told the Grand Rapids Press.

Jourden-Mark later offered the family complimentary passes for Hoffman and a guest, the Press reported. Lovell said she has not decided whether they will use the passes.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,526986,00.html
There are certain individuals in this country who should receive a free pass to every freakin' thing that costs other average Americans to enter. Those individuals are the men and women who freely sacrifice of their limbs, life, and family and don the uniforms of our military. Even as much that their families should also be allowed to enter without payment as long as they can show military ID. Those people also include veterans!!!

This country is losing it's respect for those that protect it!
__________________

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend
 
revefsreleets's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Akron, Ohio Home of LeBron James
Posts: 15,403
Gender: Male
Member Number: 5353
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Family Outraged After Quadriplegic Marine Denied Free Admission to Michigan Amuse

It's always been this way. If this park doesn't have a military or vet discount, they should, but this is a business. They aren't in the business of giving everything away (and, if they are, they won't be in business for long).

He should have received a discount, but not gotten in for free. Also, did they have a military ID on them? If not, how do they know that he received his wounds from war?

Just like everything else, this isn't a clear-cut black and white case.
__________________
Official Steelersfever Arians Nuthugger
revefsreleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend
 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,890
Member Number: 16327
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Family Outraged After Quadriplegic Marine Denied Free Admission to Michigan Amuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
It's always been this way. If this park doesn't have a military or vet discount, they should, but this is a business. They aren't in the business of giving everything away (and, if they are, they won't be in business for long).

He should have received a discount, but not gotten in for free. Also, did they have a military ID on them? If not, how do they know that he received his wounds from war?

Just like everything else, this isn't a clear-cut black and white case.

My thoughts exactly.

Fact is, the park has a limit of how many people can be in it. Most parks have to close the gates when that limit is reached, regardless of whether the people are or are not riding rides.

Frankly, I think this was handeled wrong. Military ID should have been produced. However, to assume that you can enter to meet someone, regardless of the reason, is a little silly.

Now, for the overall park, yeah, they should have a policy where military get in at a deeply discounted price. It is just respect for them and their families.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
JEFF4i
Banned
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 776
Gender: Male
Member Number: 10645
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Family Outraged After Quadriplegic Marine Denied Free Admission to Michigan Amuse

Double-negatory.

Amusement park shouldn't have any obligation to let him in, but, they should have.

*shrug*
JEFF4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:10 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter
 
Galax Steeler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Galax Va
Posts: 89,870
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3287
Thanks: 1,017
Thanked 3,160 Times in 1,342 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Family Outraged After Quadriplegic Marine Denied Free Admission to Michigan Amuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEFF4i View Post
Double-negatory.

Amusement park shouldn't have any obligation to let him in, but, they should have.

*shrug*
You are right they shouldn't be obligated to let him in but he wasn't going to be able to ride any rides he was just going to be in the park with his family.
__________________
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:26 AM   #7
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach
 
SCSTILLER's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charleston, SC via New Brighton, PA
Posts: 1,093
Gender: Male
Member Number: 4202
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Family Outraged After Quadriplegic Marine Denied Free Admission to Michigan Amuse

OK, I am indifferent on this one. I am active duty, and anytime I go anywhere I ask if they have a military discount, if they don't no biggee, I will pay like everyone else. I didn't join the military to get 10% of perks or get into places for free, I joined because I wanted to serve. I think that, yes, the park should have made an exception to let this Marine (after he or his nurse fessed up ID) in for a discount at the least, but the family and the Marine and the nurse should not be expecting it.
__________________
"Good men drink good beer!" Hunter S. Thompson
SCSTILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:40 AM   #8
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter
 
stlrtruck's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 8,783
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2398
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Family Outraged After Quadriplegic Marine Denied Free Admission to Michigan Amuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSTILLER View Post
OK, I am indifferent on this one. I am active duty, and anytime I go anywhere I ask if they have a military discount, if they don't no biggee, I will pay like everyone else. I didn't join the military to get 10% of perks or get into places for free, I joined because I wanted to serve. I think that, yes, the park should have made an exception to let this Marine (after he or his nurse fessed up ID) in for a discount at the least, but the family and the Marine and the nurse should not be expecting it.
First, thanks for your service.

Second, I don't think anyone joins the military, makes the sacrifices they do, just for the 10% perks. If they do, then they're a little off base. Anyway, I've always been in the belief that the military personnel are the one group of individuals that are the exception to almost every rule. While they shouldn't be looking for freebies and handouts, companies should be more than willing to honor those who serve.
__________________

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:00 AM   #9
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,454
Member Number: 8456
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Family Outraged After Quadriplegic Marine Denied Free Admission to Michigan Amuse

Discount or free admission should have been handed out as sign of respect for wounded war vet sacraficing his life to protect our country.

P.S. I am guessing I can only find this story on the fair & balanced fox news website
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #10
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach
 
SCSTILLER's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charleston, SC via New Brighton, PA
Posts: 1,093
Gender: Male
Member Number: 4202
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Family Outraged After Quadriplegic Marine Denied Free Admission to Michigan Amuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
First, thanks for your service.

Second, I don't think anyone joins the military, makes the sacrifices they do, just for the 10% perks. If they do, then they're a little off base. Anyway, I've always been in the belief that the military personnel are the one group of individuals that are the exception to almost every rule. While they shouldn't be looking for freebies and handouts, companies should be more than willing to honor those who serve.

My pleasure stlrtruck!

I do agree, there are people in our society that should have a few perks pertaining to their jobs, like the Police and the Firemen and the Military to name just some. But if the company isn't going to honor you or they upset you because they don't honor you, just don't use their business anymore and let all your buddies know. That is how I feel, word of mouth can be the best advertisement, but can also be the worst!
__________________
"Good men drink good beer!" Hunter S. Thompson
SCSTILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts