Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,151 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired
Default Hawaii Ready for N. Korean Attack

Hawaii Ready for N. Korean Attack
June 19, 2009
Associated Press

SEOUL, South Korea - The United States says it has deployed anti-missile defenses around Hawaii, following reports that North Korea is preparing to fire its most advanced ballistic missile in that direction to coincide with the U.S. Independence Day holiday next month.

Last week, the communist regime vowed to bolster its nuclear arsenal and threatened war to protest U.N. sanctions in the wake of its May 25 nuclear test. It conducted its first nuclear test in April, and there are suspicions it is preparing for a third.

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Thursday that the military has set up additional defenses around Hawaii, consisting of a ground-based mobile missile system and a radar system nearby. Together they could shoot an incoming missile in mid air.

"Without telegraphing what we will do, I would just say ... we are in a good position, should it become necessary, to protect Americans and American territory," Gates told reporters in Washington.

Gates' comments come after Japan's Yomiuri newspaper reported that North Korea might test fire a Taepodong-2 missile with a range of up to 4,000 miles (6,500 kilometers), sometime around the U.S. holiday of Independence Day on July 4.

Yomiuri said the missile, which could be launched from North Korea's Tongchang-ri site, would fly over Japan but would not be able to reach Hawaii, which is about 4,500 miles (7,200 kilometers) from the Korean peninsula.

North Korea test-fired a similar long-range missile on July 4 three years ago, but it failed seconds after liftoff.

A spokesman for the Japanese Defense Ministry declined to comment on Yomiuri's report, which cited an analysis by Japan's Defense Ministry and intelligence gathered by U.S. reconnaissance satellites.

South Korea's government also remained silent on the report, but made a general appeal to North Korea to follow international norms.

"We hope that North Korea, first of all (will) give up nuclear ambitions and abide by the agreement that we made in 1992 -- that is, a basic agreement for denuclearization of the Korean peninsula," South Korean Prime Minister Han Seung-soo told reporters.

The sanctions mandated by the U.N. Security Council resolution on North Korea call on all 192 U.N. member states to inspect vessels on the high seas - with the owner country's approval - if they believe the cargo contains banned weapons.

In what would be the first test case for the sanctions, the U.S. military has begun tracking a North Korean-flagged ship, Kang Nam, which left a port in North Korea on Wednesday, two U.S. officials said.

The ship, which may be carrying illicit weapons, was in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of China on Thursday, the officials said on condition of anonymity because they were discussing intelligence.

It was uncertain what the Kang Nam was carrying, but it has been involved in weapons proliferation before, one of the officials said.

Pyongyang's missile and nuclear programs are centerpieces of the regime's catalog of weapons of mass destruction.

On Thursday, the independent International Crisis Group said the North is believed to have between 2,500 and 5,000 tons of chemical weapons, including mustard gas, phosgene, blood agents and sarin. These weapons can be delivered with ballistic missiles and long-range artillery and are "sufficient to inflict massive civilian casualties on South Korea."

<
Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

This is getting out of hand.

http://www.military.com/news/article...er-threat.html

Note: You may not have access to this link.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891
Default Re: Hawaii Ready for N. Korean Attack

Ok, just a quick question...would NK being even talking this way had McCain (prisoner of war tortured by Chinese backed Vietnemese Soldiers) been elected President?

Part of me is thankful McCain was not Elected because I always wondered if we wouldn't be going to war with China because he had some deep resentment toward them, yet the other part of me wonders, would having a Veteran like that in charge of things (Not a Bush Veteran either, but a Real War Time Vet) not put other nations on alert to say "Lets not Fck with the US for at least 4 years because that guy, he's nuts".

I just wonder. I have a feeling that NK would be nice and behaved if we had as our President a guy who knew Pain and Suffering and has seen the hardships of War. Not on TV, but for real.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172

i dont think it would matter with North Korea the guys a bit nuts and saber rattled when W was in office. i just think he is very unstable as his father before him. But i do think since barry is in office we will have to deal with more types of this crap even uncle joe thinks so.

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

McCain isn't stupid, and he hates war. We aren't going to war with China over anything...they need us, and we need them. It's symbiotic now.

However, we don't need NK for anything. If they launch a weapon at us, I say we tactically nuke them into submission. People will die, but that's the price you pay for attacking the US.

But if there is a missle launched at us under Obama, all I expect is diplomacy, which will open the door for every crackpot in the world to open fire on us. Just as Clinton gave the World a blueprint for how to hit us where we are weak (governing by popular opinion instead of common sense, ala Somalia), Obama can show the world the next step in leveling the playing field between the only hyperpower and any shitcan banana republic in the world.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Here we go...

U.S. Military Set to Intercept North Korean Ship

The USS John McCain, a navy destroyer, will intercept the ship Kang Nam as soon as it leaves the vicinity off the coast of China, according to a senior U.S. defense official.

The U.S. military is seeking to intercept a flagged North Korean ship suspected of proliferating weapons material in violation of a U.N. Security Council resolution passed last Friday, FOX News has learned.

The ship left a port in North Korea Wednesday and appears to be heading toward Singapore, according to a senior U.S. military source. The vessel, which the military has been tracking since its departure, could be carrying weaponry, missile parts or nuclear materials.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009...issiles-nukes/

Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:21 AM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

We can fire pieces of paper with strongly worded rebukes from Obama across their bow...
Old 06-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #7
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
McCain isn't stupid, and he hates war. We aren't going to war with China over anything...they need us, and we need them. It's symbiotic now.

However, we don't need NK for anything. If they launch a weapon at us, I say we tactically nuke them into submission. People will die, but that's the price you pay for attacking the US.

But if there is a missle launched at us under Obama, all I expect is diplomacy, which will open the door for every crackpot in the world to open fire on us. Just as Clinton gave the World a blueprint for how to hit us where we are weak (governing by popular opinion instead of common sense, ala Somalia), Obama can show the world the next step in leveling the playing field between the only hyperpower and any shitcan banana republic in the world.
A war with NK would be a proxy war with China. That's all I meant by "war with China" More Proxy Wars with them than real ground war. After all, everyone knows, "You Don't Get Involved in a Land War in Asia."
Old 06-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #8
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,151 Times in 1,324 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Quote:
We can fire pieces of paper with strongly worded rebukes from Obama across their bow...

Not to encourage round 25 of Revefs / Hipchest's "Warin' in the forum", but that was funny.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Quote:
I agree, this is a pretty hilarious!
Old 06-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

"The pen is mightier than the sword"

Tony hasn't had a post of substance in reference to me (at least in the GD forum) since the WIPP debate.

Of course, he'll take umbrage with that statement, but what else is new?