Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #1
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored
Default Pittsburgh, PA; Everything Baltimore and Washington Would Love to Be

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...uld-love-to-be

Does it burn you up, Washington D.C.? Does it hurt to see what your hockey franchise could be in the near future? The Pittsburgh Penguins, among the most hated pro sports franchises around these parts, took the impossible and converted it into a glittering reality for hockey fans.
How about it, Baltimore? You are a blue collar lot. Your city knows how to get down and dirty. You love hard-hitting defense and a smash-mouth running attack. Yet in the moments that count, the Pittsburgh Steelers can hang their hard hats on unshakable nerves and a fan base that lives and dies on every tackle evaded by Ben Roethlisberger.
Two metros with Three Rivers envy. Pittsburgh, at least in the ranks of professional sports, is everything we want to be.
Sure, colleges and universities dot the periphery of our collective metropolitan conscience. Fine art is accessible to the masses, a sprawling nightlife beckons to all that enter the limits of both cities, and the surrounding counties are a safe haven for those who just want to tour the concrete jungles on occasion.
There is more culture on I-295 than in the whole of Pittsburgh, but the Steel City continues to lord one thing over yuppies of the mid-Atlantic: championship-caliber sports.
For as much as we enjoy the trappings of city life, Baltimore and Washington leave much to be desired in the pride delivered by championship-winning teams. The Ravens unexpectedly delivered the goods in 2000, and while they’ve been consistent enough, they are never the favorites to win their own division, let alone the Super Bowl.
As for Washington pro football, we don’t even have to go there. Daniel Snyder continues to drive the crown jewel of the city into the ground, while Ted Leonsis has turned the city’s dunce cap into a shimmering crown of glory, making the Washington Capitals the franchise closest to competing for—and winning—a league championship. A championship that figures to run through Pittsburgh, at least for the near future.
We hate to admit it, most less-than-intelligent fans based here won’t. But Pittsburgh fans reign supreme in this axis of a sports rivalry, and so do their teams. We could say that they don’t know how to handle their success, but success itself is always the best response.
We yearn for your excitement. We envy your homegrown love for your teams and wish we didn’t have to suffer folks who move to our cities to work while holding their allegiances to other squads.
We hate the fact that you have fans all over the world, that Dan Rooney is savvy and beloved, and that your hockey star can be a crybaby and still find success.
And yes, we especially hate the fact that your rapid transformation into a Boston-like collection of ignorant, arrogant jerks is well-deserved. Lord knows how much we want to show off the jackass inside of all of us, if we only had the chance.

I would like to know on what he means by, " ]We could say that they don’t know how to handle their success"

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Pittsburgh, PA; Everything Baltimore and Washington Would Love to Be

The Ravens are worthy of respect, but I treat the Crapitals like the Browns - they've been our bitches for so long that you start to pity them. I mean, the Pens have beaten them in the playoffs 7 of 8 times, and 3 of those times they went on to win the Stanley Cup.

"Crybaby" my ass. Sidney Crosby will have a nice, big, fat, shiny ring on his finger at the end of the summer, the product of blood, sweat, tears and a TEAM FIRST attitude. And until Capt. Caveman, the ugly cheapshotting bastard that he is, takes the same attitude, the only way he'll get close to the Cup is by watching Geno posing with it at the awards ceremony, like he did on Thursday.

Besides, our biggest rivals are the Flyers.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
Gnutella
Head Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 2,671 Times in 982 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy
Default Re: Pittsburgh, PA; Everything Baltimore and Washington Would Love to Be

Of course Cleveland, Cincinnati and Baltimore sports fans already hate our guts, but I've noticed that D.C. and Philadelphia sports fans have also started acting like assholes toward us in recent years. F*ck 'em all, I say. *lol*

Seems like Buffalo is the only city within 300 miles of us whose sports fans don't necessarily hate us.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

With success comes envy.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
The Ravens are worthy of respect
I disagree

They play a hard-nose game like us but they have too many showboating scumbags talking too much trash.

They are a disgrace to the game imo
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I'm elated that our sports teams are so hated!

Jealousy breeds hatred so go soak your head in the loo lahooooosers!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
I disagree

They play a hard-nose game like us but they have too many showboating scumbags talking too much trash.

They are a disgrace to the game imo
True, but I still respect the style of game they play. I wouldn't exactly call them a disgrace either - that's reserved for the Pats* and Cowboys. I would actually root for the Rats over either of those teams, and without much hesitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Of course Cleveland, Cincinnati and Baltimore sports fans already hate our guts, but I've noticed that D.C. and Philadelphia sports fans have also started acting like assholes toward us in recent years. F*ck 'em all, I say. *lol*

Seems like Buffalo is the only city within 300 miles of us whose sports fans don't necessarily hate us.
That's mainly because we've claimed ownership of their hockey teams. The hatred of the Pens among Flyers and Craps fans is almost on the level of the Steelers/Ravens or Anybody/Pats*. Redskins and Eagles fans actually respect the Steelers for the most part.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Man do I love being a fan of 2 of the most hated Franchises in pro sports. Success does indeed breed envy.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:45 PM   #9
Gnutella
Head Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 2,671 Times in 982 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
True, but I still respect the style of game they play. I wouldn't exactly call them a disgrace either - that's reserved for the Pats* and Cowboys. I would actually root for the Rats over either of those teams, and without much hesitation.

That's mainly because we've claimed ownership of their hockey teams. The hatred of the Pens among Flyers and Craps fans is almost on the level of the Steelers/Ravens or Anybody/Pats*. Redskins and Eagles fans actually respect the Steelers for the most part.
I consider the NHL paradigm to be the catalyst. Last year, Eagle fans taunted us, and they're probably bitter that they didn't get another shot at us in the Super Bowl; and Redskin fans are pissed that we hijacked FedEx Field. *lol*
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:43 PM   #10
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

I may hate the Ravens, but they always give the Steelers a game. I love to hate these bastards. They play Football the way it's supposed to be played. I don't like that they talk too much for their own good after getting owned by Pittsburgh all these years, but they are fine rivals on the field.

On NFL terms, the teams I loathe with a passion do not respect period are the Chowderheads, the Seashits, the Cowpukes, and the Tennesee Titties. All of them can go crawl into a hole and die.

The Browns fans I dislike from a fan standpoint. I could care less about their pathetic team.

In the NHL, The Crapitals I do not respect. I don't respect their coach, I don't respect that Hot Dog Ovechdick. I don't like their fans, and I don't like what their organization stands for. Goes double for the Philthy Cryer fans. It was just divine owning both of them on the way to Stanley Cup #3.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote