Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Arians: Only 19 of Steelers Sacks Were O-Line's Fault

Arians: Only 19 of Steelers Sacks Were O-Line's Fault
http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/06/21/a...o-lines-fault/

Posted Jun 21, 2009 10:40AM By JJ Cooper (RSS feed)

Bruce AriansThere's been no bigger defender of the Steelers' offensive line than offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

Even after the Steelers went into the draft hoping to draft a center in the first round, Arians seems to at least publicly believe that the Steelers' offensive line is good enough--and he has the Super Bowl ring to make his argument.

When asked about the Steelers' pass protection problems by a reporter for the Cumberland County Sentinel, Arians seemed to indicate that he blamed the wide receivers and Ben Roethlisberger as much as he did the linemen.

"They only gave up 19 sacks last year of the 46," the offensive coordinator said. "Running backs, tight ends, receivers and quarterbacks gave up most of the rest. Those guys, every time there's a sack it has to be the offensive linemen but a lot of times it was a receiver missing the hot read, the quarterback getting himself sacked a few times, because he likes to run around. We're not going to change that."

All of that may be true, but it doesn't really let the offensive line off the hook. The biggest problem for the Steelers' offensive line last year wasn't pass protection (although that was a problem), it was the inability to create holes in the running game--Pittsburgh ranked 29th in the league in yards per carry. The best defense in years and Roethlisberger's improvisation skills allowed the Steelers to somehow win the Super Bowl without much of a running game, but it's hard to see that working for two years in a row.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Arians: Only 19 of Steelers Sacks Were O-Line's Fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
but it's hard to see that working for two years in a row.
(Quoting the article... NOT MESA)

I just LOVE this kind of quote with no statistical evidence to back it up. Just more of the "let's throw it against the wall and see if it sticks" mentality that seems to permeate Steelers Nation in general and this board in particular

So let's look at the facts. Can teams with an Average Yard Per Rush, which is in the bottom of the league, win the SB?

2008 Steelers, 29th.
2007 Giants 4th
2006 Colts, 17th
2005 Steelers 15th (thats right, 15th).
2004 Pats 4th
2003 pats 30th
2002 Bucs 26th
2001 Pats 24th
2000 Ravens 9th

So since 2000. There has been 5 teams in the bottom third that has won the SB, 3 teams in the top third, and 2 teams in the middle.

Seems to me that, purely statistically, since that seems to be the going commodity these days here, that we should stick to a bad run game in order to have the best chance at winning the SB right? RIGHT? That IS the statistical evidence.

Fact of the matter is, this guy is wrong. We need one element of our offense to be potent and deadly, and the element to simply tow the line. Last season, it towed the line, barely. That was good enough for a SB win.

This year, it will get a bit better because of the line situation and Willie and Mendy both being healthy. So there is nothing to worry about....

Old 06-21-2009, 11:38 AM   #3
mmalone
Team Captain

Member Number: 13521

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
[B]

All of that may be true, but it doesn't really let the offensive line off the hook. The biggest problem for the Steelers' offensive line last year wasn't pass protection (although that was a problem), it was the inability to create holes in the running game--Pittsburgh ranked 29th in the league in yards per carry. The best defense in years and Roethlisberger's improvisation skills allowed the Steelers to somehow win the Super Bowl without much of a running game, but it's hard to see that working for two years in a row.
More Arians pop warner play calling..... its got to change, hopefully arians is coming to camp in mental shape this year, like the players have to come to camp in physical shape. Maybe arians was in an off season OC camp.. to build play calling techiniques..
Old 06-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
mmalone
Team Captain

Member Number: 13521

I guess in a nutshell we should strive for this stat on offense and with our number 1 d we would be a killing machine.

The average score of a Saints game in 2008 was Saints 28.9

Always work for the top, and no excuses.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
(Quoting the article... NOT MESA)

Quote:
but it's hard to see that working for two years in a row.
I just LOVE this kind of quote with no statistical evidence to back it up. Just more of the "let's throw it against the wall and see if it sticks" mentality that seems to permeate Steelers Nation in general and this board in particular....
Consider the source - a blog site pretty much any schmuck can write for.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #6
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Please folks - give me one good reason why I should allow this thread to remain open. Don't we have enough Arians threads around here?

I believe I also saw this story in another thread.

The Anti-Wahoo
Old 06-21-2009, 04:53 PM   #7
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Please folks - give me one good reason why I should allow this thread to remain open. Don't we have enough Arians threads around here?

I believe I also saw this story in another thread.
You're right, it was already posted in this thread.

I say euthanize it.