Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-22-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default No Big Name Free Agents, No Problem

No big name free agents no problem for Steelers
June 22, 1:03 AM
Examiner.com

Another off-season and another “yawn” for those Steelers fans that get excited at the possibility of their team bringing in a big-name free agent or two.

Since NFL free agency began in 1993, the Steelers have been one of the few teams that don’t make big splashes in the market instead focusing on retaining their own players and relying on the draft to fill roster spots. That mind-set did not change this year and for a franchise that has six super bowl titles why would it?

This off-season began with the team placing the franchise tag on offensive tackle Max Starks. Offensive Guard Chris Kemoeatu was next on the list agreeing to a five year contract, while offensive tackle’s Willie Colon and Trai Essex also signed. The Steelers wrapped it up by agreeing to a lucrative six year contract extension with linebacker and NFL Defensive MVP James Harrison, an extension with wide receiver Hines Ward that will keep him in the black and gold until 2013, and a deal with free agent wide receiver Shaun McDonald.

Important moves? Of course. But, just like every year, some fans believe the defending Super Bowl Champs should have done more.

Some felt the Steelers should have pushed hard to sign Indianapolis pro bowl center Jeff Saturday. Others thought they needed a big name wide receiver, such as Joey Galloway or Torry Holt. One Pittsburgh sports radio personality even said the Steelers should take a chance on locker room cancer Terrell Owens. Thank god owner Dan Rooney did not drink whatever that guy was sipping on that day.

Fact is this franchise takes care of its own players.

“We've never been a big free-agency team because we don't believe that's the way to put a team together, exclusively", Director of Football Operations Kevin Colbert said.

"We believe that the draft will always be the main part of your team, but we also believe that you'll have to plug in the occasional free agent. In recent years, we haven't gone after the high-end market (players) because we've concentrated on keeping our own players, who may have been higher-end guys if they became free agents.”

The Steelers front office obviously has enough confidence in their offensive linemen (whom were all drafted by the team) that they didn’t need to sign a free agent. The team also feels that Limas Sweed (drafted in 2007) will improve enough this year to not need to sign an expensive wide receiever.

Some believe more should have been done. Me? I believe Limas Sweed makes that catch next year
http://www.examiner.com/x-14024-Pitt...m-for-Steelers
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 08:35 AM   #2
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552
Default Re: No Big Name Free Agents, No Problem

What jackass in Pittsburgh thought we needed T.O.???
Old 06-22-2009, 08:51 AM   #3
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

I believe they were on crack that day they wanted T.O.!!!! I to think that Sweed makes that catch this year!!!
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
What jackass in Pittsburgh thought we needed T.O.???
Mark Madden? He is the first "tool", (that second guesses everthing the organization does or doesnt do) that comes to mind.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Wasn't James Harrison their big signing? Getting the current DPOY signed long term is a big deal.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Mark Madden? He is the first "tool", (that second guesses everthing the organization does or doesnt do) that comes to mind.
Thats the only one I could think of.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Isn't Mark Madden officially banned from being mentioned on this board?

If not, he should be, the guy is a piece of trash. I hated watching the Best Defenses show this weekend on NFL Network because he was their "steelers" guy. Effing tool box.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #8
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Who have been our last major free agents?

Clark, Moore, Hartwig, Mahan (failure signing) this year Shaun McDonald. Who else have we gotten lately in FA that really helped the team?

Najeh was a failure as far as I'm concerned. Wilson was ok for what he was as a Wide Receiver for a season or two.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:20 AM   #9
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

just think though, if we would have signed T.O. he could go on t.v and cry and defend his new qb..lol..

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #10
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

I was kind of hoping we'd go after Holt myself, and still hold out hope that the Rams have a brain fart and trade us Steven Jackson for 3 draft picks to be named in the 2019, 2021, and 2022.

But otherwise, I like what we are doing bringing in return guys, beefing up the OL with some draft picks, taking a FB in the draft and bringing in the WR we did as well as drafting the Lightning Bolt Wallace. And of coarse, drafting Ziggy.