Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-22-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Legursky knows the ring is the thing

Published: June 22, 2009 11:15 pm
http://www.register-herald.com/sport...173231719.html
Legursky knows the ring is the thing
By Dave Morrison
Sports Editor

Like most of his teammates, the Pittsburgh Steelers’ Doug Legursky, a former Woodrow Wilson and Marshall standout, was in awe of his Super Bowl XLIII ring.

Legursky, a practice-squad member last year, received his ring in a ceremony at Heinz Field June 9.

“Like everyone else, I opened it up at the ceremony and looked at it,” the former Hunt Award winner said Monday. “Then I got home and I opened it up and looked at it for a long time.”

And why not? There was certainly enough to look at.

Six round, brilliant cut diamonds surround the Steelers’ logo — the hypocycloid logo that signifies NFL championships, this being the organization’s league-record sixth Super Bowl title. The ring has 63 diamonds, seven surrounding the logo in a football shape, recognizing the team’s seven AFC titles. The conference and league crests are represented, along with the final score of the epic win, Pittsburgh 27, Arizona 23. The ring weighs 3.7 ounces, and the 63 diamonds check in at 3.61 carats.

Ring?

More like a glove.

“It’s big,” Legursky said. “And it’s awesome.”

The Beckley native readily admits, though, that he wishes he could have actually played in the big game. While the practice squad did travel to the Super Bowl with the team, he didn’t dress for the game, obviously.

Despite its gargantuan dimensions, there is a certain emptiness about the ring, typical of a player that is just off the cusp of making the roster.

“Every player wants to make the 53 (man game-day roster),” Legursky said. “And if you make the 53, you want to be a starter. Being on the practice squad, you feel a certain disconnect. You don’t even travel with the team. Then, at the beginning of the week, you go back, reconnect, and do the whole process again.”

Still, Legursky knows he helped the team in its march to the title.

And, in turn, it helped his chances of making the squad this year. He is currently No. 2 on the depth chart behind veteran Justin Hartwig. The Steelers also drafted A.Q. Shipley of Penn State in May.

“Being here, the organization knows what I can do,” Legursky said. “That’s been the way this team operates. They like to keep guys that have been with the organization. My job now is to go out and show them that I deserve a spot on the 53.”

So now it’s a numbers game.

The Steelers have 13 offensive linemen who will report to camp next month.

Ten will make the roster — nine on the 53 and one on the practice squad.

Most, like Legursky, can play multiple positions. Legursky has been working at center and has also played both guard spots.

Plus, the team also has tape of Legursky from last year’s preseason action.

And they had to like his first NFL play, when he pancaked a Philadelphia Eagles nose guard.

“He came up across my face, and, with the adrenaline rush that goes with it being my first play, I just got low and drove as hard as I could,” Legursky recalled. “I remember when I was getting off of the guy, he punched me in the groin.”

Welcome to the NFL, kid.

Oh well, the payoff in the end, diamonds and all, was well worth the shot.

As for the ring today?

“It’s in a lock box,” Legursky said. “I haven’t looked at it for a while. Right now my focus is to make the team and to try and win a ring as a member of the 53.”

— E-mail: demorrison@

register-herald.com
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
wezx
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13693
Default Re: Legursky knows the ring is the thing

Nice article...thanks for posting it.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

I have to think there is only one roster spot is between Shipley and Legursky. The loser to the PS. Of course, both could not make it with Tomlin deciding to use Stapleton as the back-up.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 01:01 AM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
I have to think there is only one roster spot is between Shipley and Legursky. The loser to the PS. Of course, both could not make it with Tomlin deciding to use Stapleton as the back-up.
So true. The question will be who gets the 9th spot.

I think the list will look something like : Starks, Kemo, Hartwig, Urbik, Colon, Essex, Stapleton, Hills, .....and the last spot is between Capizzi, Legursky, Shipley (or another FA vet).
Old 06-23-2009, 01:22 AM   #5
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,668 Times in 1,583 Posts

Quote:
i wouldn't pencil in urbik as the starter just yet.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:01 AM   #6
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
i wouldn't pencil in urbik as the starter just yet.

No, I don't think that would be wise either. Although I give Urbik a very good shot. Back to the point at hand. I think it is possible that Stapelton could back-up center while continuing to start at guard if neither Legursky or Shipley impress. Urbik or Essex could slide into Stapelton's guard spot if he had to slide into Hartwig's center spot. I'm not saying this is a likely scenario, but it is possible.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

My boy Legursky!!!! I have high hopes that he makes the roster this year. And think he will.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #8
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i hope doug makes the team.. nice guy and what not...

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #9
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
No, I don't think that would be wise either. Although I give Urbik a very good shot. Back to the point at hand. I think it is possible that Stapelton could back-up center while continuing to start at guard if neither Legursky or Shipley impress. Urbik or Essex could slide into Stapelton's guard spot if he had to slide into Hartwig's center spot. I'm not saying this is a likely scenario, but it is possible.
I think you are absolutely correct with this scenario. As much as I am hopeful that Urbik can start in week 1, I think it may take a month before he gets his shot to start. He is also getting some reps at center for "position flexibility" purposes.

As for Legursky, I am hopeful that he makes the 53 man roster, but in preseason last year he looked absolutely lost. He has the size, strength and quickness to play center for us. I just hope he has developed more in his season on the PS.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #10
STEELAMANIA
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8791

Whoever here thinks that Urbik will start over Stapleton is right only if Stapleton gets injured. Stapleton is no slouch even though he is undersized. Urbik has a long way to go before he can start at guard. Legursky may start at guard before Urbik because he knows the system and Urbik is still in learning mode.