Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-24-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Roethlisberger ready for some rest, relaxation

Roethlisberger ready for some rest, relaxation
Steelers quarterback has some free time
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09175/979384-66.stm

By Laura Keeley, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Now that the Steelers are officially on break until training camp, what is there for Ben Roethlisberger to do?

Lots, actually, including some youth football, golf, Penguins watching and traveling to Georgia for some rest and relaxation.

"It's been good, a little crazy," Roethlisberger said of the offseason. "It's been a lot of down time, but I get to play a lot of golf, so that has been fun."

Roethlisberger was able to pull himself from the links long enough to play host to his second annual Old Spice Ben Roethlisberger Football Camp at Mars Area High School. The camp, whose media sponsors include the Post-Gazette, runs three days for three hours in the morning for 450 boys and girls ages 7-14, concluding today. The cost for each child was $249.

The action yesterday started with an explanation of a fade route. Roethlisberger lined up under center and lobbed three perfect passes that each landed in the arms of the three kids chosen for the demonstration. Parents watching from the stands clapped in approval and simulated crowd noise.

"I just hope they have fun and learn one new thing," Roethlisberger said. "We're having a good time."

has learned a thing or two himself from the 2006 offseason, the previous time the Steelers were set to begin the year as defending Super Bowl champions. The 2006 team, however, finished a disappointing 8-8 and missed the playoffs. Roethlisberger is planning on using those lessons and the familiarity he has with Mike Tomlin's system to stay on top of the league.

"Everyone is gunning for you," Roethlisberger said. "Everyone is out to get that bull's-eye and get that title from you. It's going to take a lot to stay on the grind."

These next few weeks, though, are an opportunity to break from the daily work of football.

Golf is Roethlisberger's main relaxation and hobby, and he mainly plays at Treesdale and visits Nevillewood and Oakmont when he gets a chance.

Recently, Roethlisberger participated in the U.S. Open Challenge at Bethpage Black along with Michael Jordan and Justin Timberlake. Roethlisberger shot an 81 to win the challenge and called the course the toughest he has played.

Roethlisberger's 81 would not have been the worst round posted in the U.S. Open. Fred Funk, a staple on the PGA Tour for 20 years, shot an 82 in the final round. Even Tiger Woods, who called Roethlisberger before the challenge and told him there was no way the quarterback would break 100, was in Roethlisberger's neighborhood with an opening-round 74.

Roethlisberger debated calling Woods after the tournament was finished.

"You know, I thought about it and then thought better of it," Roethlisberger said. "It would kind of be like me throwing a couple of interceptions in a game and him calling me, so I'll let it go for a little while." (Big Ben = pure class - mesa)

The event at Bethpage Black caused Roethlisberger to miss going to the seventh game of the Stanley Cup final in Detroit. He was at every home game, cheering for the Penguins, and said he was happy for the city, Mario Lemieux and the fans. He will have a chance to congratulate Lemieux in person when he plays in his celebrity golf tournament this week at Nemacolin.

After that, it will be time for Roethlisberger to head to his house in Georgia. In addition to golfing, he will fish, boat and just enjoy being on the water.

"I just go there to get away and relax," he said. "I just kind of get away from football for awhile."

Even though preseason camp is a Georgia trip and little more than a month away, many analysts already have made predictions for the upcoming season. Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher got his in early -- Jan.4, the first weekend of the playoffs last season -- and said the Cincinnati Bengals would make the playoffs this year.

Roethlisberger has not forgotten.

"You know what, I have heard Bill Cowher made a Bengals prediction," he said. "So, I guess that's the team to beat in the division."

Laura Keeley can be reached at lkeeley@post-gazette.com or 412-263-2193.
First published on June 24, 2009 at 12:02 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09175...xzz0JK5e7RSP&C
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 03:58 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,293 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Roethlisberger ready for some rest, relaxation

Even Bill Cowher don't give the Steelers respect. Perdicting the Bengals to make the playoffs.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:56 AM   #3
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,147 Times in 476 Posts

There's no way Cowher could POSSIBLY be serious! The Bengals are the Bengals.. not an organization like the Ravens who could turn it around in one year. The Bengals actually have NOTHING to turn around, they are that pathetic. Screw Bill,just adds more fuel to the fire.. that's all Ben needed to hear.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Before everyone gets their undies in a bunch, Cowher predicted the Bungles to make the playoffs NOT to win the division.

I'd rather the Bungles make it than the Ratbirds anyway, they're an easier out.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:18 AM   #5
scsteeler
Team Captain

Member Number: 8491

Cowher might be thinking the Bungles will beat out the Ravens this year. Making the playoffs for Cincy is not that far fetched.
scsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:04 AM   #6
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

its good that ben is going to get some rest. he will need it for the upcoming season... and hopefully he wont be reckless

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

I also think Cincy has a chance to surpass the Ravens as 2nd best team in the division for this year. When I grabbed tickets this year I had a hunch that the Steelers versus Bengals at Heinz will be the more marquee match up within the division.
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
benfan7
Water Boy

Member Number: 8722

what makes the bengals any better than they were last season?...just wait until palmer gets hurt again and their season is another mess. they dont have the best defense and thier rushing attack is terrible. they are still no match for the super bowl champs

SIX TIME CHAMPS!
benfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:00 AM   #9
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,147 Times in 476 Posts

Cornhole Palmer is the biggest choker in the game next to Tony Homo. The Bengals are no threat. It'll be the Steelers/Ravens for the next couple or more years.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
T.Richardson
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 10617

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessStill View Post
Cornhole Palmer is the biggest choker in the game next to Tony Homo. The Bengals are no threat. It'll be the Steelers/Ravens for the next couple or more years.
I dont think I have ever seen Palmer choke in a game...