Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415
Default Look at it this way

For those who have the attitude of "But we won the Super Bowl so there are no problems or concerns" with this team, let's look at it this way.

I contend the 4th-worst yard per carry average in the league is a real sign of problems. Yes, they OVERCAME the flaws that led to their anemic rushing came, but the horrid rush is a major source for concern, especially when considering the team prioritizes the running game as they do.

So for those who contend the 4th-worst ypc is not an issue since we won the SB, let's look at it this way: If a 100 meter spinter won the world title - and did so with his one arm in a sling, beating the odds - should he work on getting that arm healed so he doesn't have to wear a sling next year, or should he not worry about it since he won the title with his arm in a sling?

Honestly, those who think the rushing game is not a something that needs fixed are people who would say that the sprinter with his arm in a sling doesn't have to heal his arm and can run with his arm in a sling the next year too.

That is how silly that thinking is.

Pgh's rush was pathetic. And the cause was a weak line and poor play calling (running the single back sets sending Willie up the middle with no blocking is NOT what I'd call quality play calling, especially when the opponent knows what is coming,)

Here's hoping the staff doesn't think that heading into this season, they can do so with the team's arm "still in a sling" and think they team can overcome such a disadvantage. I believe Pgh's ypc #s were the lowest of any Super Bowl winner in the modern era.

Rushing out of the single back, two TE set simply sucks. The #s clearly illustrate this in an overwhelming fashion.

FIX the obvious weakness. Do not just sit on your hands when there is such a glaring problem. Our D and Big Ben can't save our asses to the degree they did last year. Don't enter 2009 with an arm in a sling. They will NOT win another ring with the 4th-worst ypc in the league ever again.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,774 Times in 2,937 Posts
Default Re: Look at it this way

already posted:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=36386
Old 06-24-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Mods...

Can we please move this "new" thread into the other threads with the same topic.

Thank you.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Ridiculous. It just NEVER ends...every year, the same silly stuff, over and over and over and over...
Old 06-24-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

Old 06-24-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Ridiculous. It just NEVER ends...every year, the same silly stuff, over and over and over and over...
You mean we win a Super Bowl every year while putting up such a weak rushing attack such as 4th-worst in the league? I don't recall that EVER happening before.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #7
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

. Funny thing, it keeps getting harder and harder to contain these "Arians sucks" threads.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

I agree it is an issue but one that we did address with the signing of starks,Kemoeatu,drafting Urbik,and tendering Colon. These are all maulers and should be able to jell during OTA's and camp plus drafting Summers and Mendy being healthy again will also help. Remember, Parker got 1200+ yds in 2007 with Arian's system so I think we will be a better offense this year. If we are able to keep the same O-line all season without injuries Ben could also put up 32 td's like he did in 2007.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
steel9guy
Banned

Member Number: 8688

Use a fullback again that would help.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,774 Times in 2,937 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
You mean we win a Super Bowl every year while putting up such a weak rushing attack such as 4th-worst in the league? I don't recall that EVER happening before.
do you remember having the #1 rushing attack in the league and not even reaching the superbowl?