Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-26-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Signature Moments / The Top 8 of 2008-09 For The Pittsburgh Steelers

Signature Moments / The Top 8 of 2008-09 For The Pittsburgh Steelers
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...s-the-top-8-of
P4070003_tiny by COSteel on Jun 24, 2009 2:40 PM EDT Comment 32 comments

Bumped from the Fanposts. Great stuff from a new member here at BTSC. Quite a first post. Keep it coming guys and gals! -Blitz- (Michael B.)

As we head into the relative quiet in the football world that preceeds training camp, I was reflecting back on some of my favorite moments of the Steelers championship run last season. I found there were a number of big moments to really stamp the season and team as something special. The Steelers rarely looked perfect against the daunting schedule they faced, but they almost always rose to the challenge when the game was on the line. After the jump, see if you agree with some of the big, defining moments of the Steelers 2008-09 season. I considered everything up to but not including the Super Bowl, which is in a class all by itself.

Star-divide

8) Larry Foot intercepts Phillip Rivers pass in the 3rd quarter of the Divisional Playoffs after a Darren Sproles kickoff returns sets up the Chargers deep in Steeler territory. The Steelers had just seized control of the game, but a long kickoff return had the Chargers poised to quickly tighten the game again. This brought back memories of past losses to the Jags and Patriots in the playoffs, where long returns killed the Steelers. But Brett Keisel tipped the Rivers pass, and Larry Foot intercepted it to wipe out the threat. This would be the Chargers only offensive play of the 3rd quarter, still an amazing fact. The Steelers didn't score on the ensuing drive, but they punted, and when the kick bounced off the head of the Charger returner, William Gay recovered and the Steelers had flipped the field position on the Chargers. The game really turned on the Steelers snuffing out the scoring threat with Foote's INT.

7) The barrage of turnovers created vs. the Patriots. Ok, this isn't just a single play, so maybe that isn't fair, but the turnover sequence in the second half against the Patriots was amazing and something every Steeler fan had to thoroughly enjoy, given past frustrations against the Pats. In brief, after taking a 13-10 lead, the Steelers kicked to the Pats. Keyaron Fox jumps on a fumbled return. A few plays later, Big Ben hits Hines Ward for a TD, and we are up 20-10. The first play from scrimmage after the Pats get the ball back, James Harrison racks up another sack-strip, Lamar Woodley pounces on the fumble, and the Steelers cash in for 3 pts. to make it 23-10. Another Harrison forced fumble, a Polamolu INT, and a Lawrence Timmons INT later, and the Black and Gold have put the icing on a 33-10 thumping of the Patriots on their home field.

6) Deshea Townsend INT return for a TD completes the Steeler comeback against the Cowboys. The Steelers appeared to be goners in this one, and the Fox broadcast team was letting us all hear how big a win this was for the Cowboys after the 4th quarter goal line stand that kept them ahead 13-3. Seemingly moments later, a signature drive and clutch plays again from Big Ben (and stellar pass blocking from the maligned O-line), and the Steelers have tied the game at 13. This set the stage for Big Play Deshea, as Lamar Woodley pressures Romo who lofts the ball over the charging OLB and into the hands of Townsend. As he crashes into the end zone, Steeler fans everywhere risk ligament damage twirling Terrible Towels with reckless abandon. Steelers win 20-13.

5) Big Ben's 3rd and 8 completion to Hines Ward for an 18 yard gain deep in Jacksonville territory on the game winning drive. What is so special about that? Perhaps it has been lost in all the drama of the long season, but facing a team that beat us twice on our home field the year before (something that has never happened before), the Steelers overcame much adversity in this game. From Ben's interception that was returned 72 yards for a TD on his 3rd pass of the game, to injuries to multiple players, the Steelers were on the ropes the entire way through this one. But the grit and determination that came to define the entire season was revealed on this drive when Big Ben, with D-linemen grabbing at him and pulling him backwards, somehow musters enough strength to loft the ball to Hines Ward, despite being pulled down into a sea of humanity as he released the ball. A few plays later Ward catches a TD pass, the defense stops Jacksonville on downs (remember the year before, when they often could not do this?) and the Steelers show their mettle (thanks for that term, Coach Tomlin) in a gritty 26-21 win in prime time. The ghosts of the preceeding season were put to rest with this victory.

4) Santonio Holmes punt return TD vs. SD in the playoffs. The Chargers jumped out to a 7-0 lead, stunning those at the game and watching on TV. Our offense was sputtering, and we needed a spark. The Holmes TD got the fans going, broke the tension the fans and team seemed to have, and they went on to play a very complete game, winning 35-23. The Holmes TD was key to getting rid of jitters and tension left over from the Big Ben injury against Cleveland, past playoff ghosts, and the inability to score a TD (at least one that wasn't taken away) earlier in the season against the Chargers. This TD got us rolling in the playoffs, especially since it came on special teams.

3) James Harrison sacks and strips the ball from Joe Flacco in the 3rd quarter of the week 3 game against the Ravens, and Lamar Woodley recovers and returns the fumble for a TD. The Steeler offense had just scored a TD moments earlier, awakening from a 10 quarter funk that totaled 1 TD. That cut the Raven lead to 13-10, and then the Harrison play catapults them into the lead. Only minutes earlier, things looked very, very bad for the Black and Gold, but this play launched them to a crucial win against the hated Ravens. Steelers win 23-20 in OT. A loss here would have put the Steelers at 2-2, and behind the rapidly improved Ravens in the division.

2) Santonio Holmes TD reception against the Ravens in Baltimore. The Ravens defense had mauled the Steelers all day long, but just like they did against the Cowboys when the game was on the line, the offense came to life, stopped the pass rush, and Big Ben engineered a 92 yard drive that culminated with this controversial TD. Later replays confirmed the ball crossed the plane of the goal line, but it was oh so close. The win clinched the division for the Steelers, and a 1st round bye. At the conclusion of this game, I said to my wife, "This is the sort of game a championship team finds a way to win. This team is special - we can win the Super Bowl this year." I also said lots of other things about not jinxing the team, not taking anything for granted, one game at a time, etc. to try not to upset the good karma. When Big Ben got hurt against Cleveland and we didn't know if he would be ok, I just knew my spoken words had come back to haunt me and all Steeler fans.

1) Troy Polamolu intecepts Joe Flacco and returns it for a TD in the 4th quarter of the AFC Championship game. Steeler fans were again agonizing as we saw multiple scoring opportunities squandered throughout the game. This is the sort of thing that typically comes back to haunt a team, especially in January. With a razor thin 2 point lead, fans were trying desperately to not think about Bill Cowher's first AFC Championship game against the Chargers. In that game, the Steelers let the Chargers hang around all game, until they finally popped a big pass play, took the lead, and ultimately won when Neil O'Donell's pass to Barry Foster was broken up at the goal line on 4th down. With thoughts of "Just don't let them get across mid-field" swirling about in my head, there were our two defensive stalwarts combining on the same play to deliver an AFC Championship. James Harrison hits Flacco just as he releases the ball, causing it to sail behind the intended receiver, and Troy Polamolu intercepts. His return seemed like it was in slow motion as he weaved in and out of traffic covering the width of the field. When he crossed the goal line, the ghosts of past AFC Championship disappointments were vanquished and Steeler Nation rejoiced.

For me, this moment, with the game hanging in the balance, and the symbolic nature of triumph at the site of past disappointment, was THE top moment of the season prior to Super Bowl 43. What was your favorite, and which moments did I leave out that you think should be in the top tier of memories from last season?
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Signature Moments / The Top 8 of 2008-09 For The Pittsburgh Steelers

Wow, good list. I agree with all of those.

Man, I cannot wait for my paycheck to come in today so I can run to Wal-Mart and pick up the 2008 Super Bowl Champions DVD. They are holding a copy for me, lol.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:33 PM   #3
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
Default Re: Signature Moments / The Top 8 of 2008-09 For The Pittsburgh Steelers

Cool. To me the sweeps of Baltimore and that pounding of New England into submission on their home field are the things that rank one and two. The other stuff was great too, but making those damn Bostonians choke on their chowder was priceless.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
SteelKid212
Starter

Member Number: 13746

Quote:
6) Deshea Townsend INT return for a TD completes the Steeler comeback against the Cowboys. The Steelers appeared to be goners in this one, and the Fox broadcast team was letting us all hear how big a win this was for the Cowboys after the 4th quarter goal line stand that kept them ahead 13-3. Seemingly moments later, a signature drive and clutch plays again from Big Ben (and stellar pass blocking from the maligned O-line), and the Steelers have tied the game at 13. This set the stage for Big Play Deshea, as Lamar Woodley pressures Romo who lofts the ball over the charging OLB and into the hands of Townsend. As he crashes into the end zone, Steeler fans everywhere risk ligament damage twirling Terrible Towels with reckless abandon. Steelers win 20-13.
wow did i cry like a baby after this one... i had never experienced suuch an emotional roller coaster in my life! this game meant the world to me..

i first became a fan of the steelers when i was 8 yrs old.. in 94-95 season. such a magical year... i was soo thrilled... the year i started following the Steelers... they made the super bowl... and to my greatest dissapointment, i had to bare witness to our "beloved" QB neil odonell and see him hand over the game to our most hated rivals... THE COWBOYS. that was when i discovered how much i TRULY HATE the cowboys.

and given how ive lived in Texas my whole life... it was traumatizing seeing everybody i know and dont know celebrate a championship i truly believed belonged to us.. steeler nation.

so this game meant everything to me... and how funny that this game along with almost every other game this year symbolized how truly difficult and adversity overcoming this single season would be.

i remember the steelers incredible comeback in the final minutes of this game.
i remember saying... we are not going to loose this game..
i remember how our defense rooosee to the occasion and how an old but faithful veteran put the game away... i remember i was sooo nervous i was throwing up... and how i tried to hide those tears of joy and relief from all the cowboy fans in the room after we took the lead in the final seconds, and how my towel never stopped twirling the whooole time.

one would think the cowboys won the war back in 95.. winning the superbowl and all... but no. that was just a battle they won... WE won the war... winning this game... and being the FIRST TO SIX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

living in texas full of cowgirls was... i repeat... was a horrible thing for me to bare during the 90s... but thats all changed... and now one feels like he can take on the world. after all... isnt that... steeler football???

how true the words:
"THE HARDER THE CONFLICT... THE SWEETER THE VICTORY"
Old 06-26-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Umm, Harrison's 100-yard pick-6 in SB XLIII, which represented at LEAST a 10-point, and probably a 14-point swing? That has to be at least in the top 5, and probably in the top 3 in franchise history, never mind just for the 2008 season.

EDIT: Never mind, just saw that these were for everything up to but not including the SB.

Here's another great one from the regular season:

[youtube]-AlAGkjv8qQ[/youtube]

Last edited by fansince'76; 06-26-2009 at 01:39 PM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
SteelKid212
Starter

Member Number: 13746

aaahh exelent highlight " fansince76 ! "

i have a picture of this interception... troy diving for the ball.. body off the ground... hand and body completely extended... and the ball at the tip of his hands... ( so sweeet) hanging in my office at work.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Umm, Harrison's 100-yard pick-6 in SB XLIII, which represented at LEAST a 10-point, and probably a 14-point swing? That has to be at least in the top 5, and probably in the top 3 in franchise history, never mind just for the 2008 season.

EDIT: Never mind, just saw that these were for everything up to but not including the SB.

Here's another great one from the regular season:

[youtube]-AlAGkjv8qQ[/youtube]
That is definetly one that has to be in there.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Signature Moments / The Top 8 of 2008-09 For The Pittsburgh Steelers
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...s-the-top-8-of
P4070003_tiny by COSteel on Jun 24, 2009 2:40 PM EDT Comment 32 comments

Bumped from the Fanposts. Great stuff from a new member here at BTSC. Quite a first post. Keep it coming guys and gals! -Blitz- (Michael B.)

As we head into the relative quiet in the football world that preceeds training camp, I was reflecting back on some of my favorite moments of the Steelers championship run last season. I found there were a number of big moments to really stamp the season and team as something special. The Steelers rarely looked perfect against the daunting schedule they faced, but they almost always rose to the challenge when the game was on the line. After the jump, see if you agree with some of the big, defining moments of the Steelers 2008-09 season. I considered everything up to but not including the Super Bowl, which is in a class all by itself.

Star-divide

Dont forget, that this Int was forced by the Coaching Staff of the Steelers. The Steelers kicked off at the 2 minute warning. The First Cowboy play from scrimmage happened with 1:58 left in the 4th in a tie game. Cowboys ran a Draw play with Choice and gained 2 yards. We called Timeout with 1:51 left. Not playing for over time we told the Cowboys in that moment, either get the 1st or Punt. We were Coaching to Win the Game.

After the game, I remember someone on the Steelers defense being quoted as saying that "Romo looked at us after we called the time out and said I can't believe you guys are calling a time out now." The next play, HAD to be a pass play, we dictated to them our intentions of playing out the 4th and not settling for OT.

We Out Coached Them.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
Dont forget, that this Int was forced by the Coaching Staff of the Steelers. The Steelers kicked off at the 2 minute warning. The First Cowboy play from scrimmage happened with 1:58 left in the 4th in a tie game. Cowboys ran a Draw play with Choice and gained 2 yards. We called Timeout with 1:51 left. Not playing for over time we told the Cowboys in that moment, either get the 1st or Punt. We were Coaching to Win the Game.

After the game, I remember someone on the Steelers defense being quoted as saying that "Romo looked at us after we called the time out and said I can't believe you guys are calling a time out now." The next play, HAD to be a pass play, we dictated to them our intentions of playing out the 4th and not settling for OT.

We Out Coached Them.
That is one thing that I LOVE about Tomlin.

Cowher would have played for OT, and would have probably lost this game.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Clarks Hit On Welker...was a moment when I felt "The Steelers are going to Punish their way to the Super Bowl."

That hit put the rest of the league on notice, we are going to smash your teeth down your throat so be ready for it.

I loved that hit.