Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-26-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
Men of Steel
Team Captain

Member Number: 13746
My Mood: Amused
Default cowboys won the "battle" in '95, but we won the WAR in '09

the quote in this article was taken by a previous post by mesasteeler...
HTML Code:
http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?p=620283&posted=1#post620283
( a great read.. must check it out )

Quote:
6) Deshea Townsend INT return for a TD completes the Steeler comeback against the Cowboys. The Steelers appeared to be goners in this one, and the Fox broadcast team was letting us all hear how big a win this was for the Cowboys after the 4th quarter goal line stand that kept them ahead 13-3. Seemingly moments later, a signature drive and clutch plays again from Big Ben (and stellar pass blocking from the maligned O-line), and the Steelers have tied the game at 13. This set the stage for Big Play Deshea, as Lamar Woodley pressures Romo who lofts the ball over the charging OLB and into the hands of Townsend. As he crashes into the end zone, Steeler fans everywhere risk ligament damage twirling Terrible Towels with reckless abandon. Steelers win 20-13.
but wanted to share a personal experience:

wow did i cry like a baby after this one... i had never experienced suuch an emotional roller coaster in my life! this game meant the world to me..

i first became a fan of the steelers when i was 8 yrs old.. in 94-95 season. such a magical year... i was soo thrilled... the year i started following the Steelers... they made the super bowl... and to my greatest dissapointment, i had to bare witness to our "beloved" QB neil odonell and see him hand over the game to our most hated rivals... THE COWBOYS. that was when i discovered how much i TRULY HATE the cowboys.

and given how ive lived in Texas my whole life... it was traumatizing seeing everybody i know and dont know celebrate a championship i truly believed belonged to us.. steeler nation.

so this game meant everything to me... and how funny that this game along with almost every other game this year symbolized how truly difficult and adversity overcoming this single season would be.

i remember the steelers incredible comeback in the final minutes of this game.
i remember saying... we are not going to loose this game..
i remember how our defense rooosee to the occasion and how an old but faithful veteran put the game away... i remember i was sooo nervous i was throwing up... and how i tried to hide those tears of joy and relief from all the cowboy fans in the room after we took the lead in the final seconds, and how my towel never stopped twirling the whooole time.

one would think the cowboys won the war back in 95.. winning the superbowl and all... but no. that was just a battle they won... WE won the war... winning this game... and being the FIRST TO SIX !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

living in texas full of cowgirls was... i repeat... was a horrible thing for me to bare during the 90s... but thats all changed... and now one feels like he can take on the world. after all... isnt that... steeler football???

how true the words:
"THE HARDER THE CONFLICT... THE SWEETER THE VICTORY"
Old 06-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #2
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415
Default Re: cowboys won the "battle" in '95, but we won the WAR in '09

I kind of got news for you: winning a Super Bowl vs. winning a regular season game _IS_ winning the war, not the battle. We won the latest battle vs. Dallas, but they won the latest war when it comes to head to head match ups.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
Men of Steel
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I kind of got news for you: winning a Super Bowl vs. winning a regular season game _IS_ winning the war, not the battle. We won the latest battle vs. Dallas, but they won the latest war when it comes to head to head match ups.
lol i know that ! im just too dam passionate and hate the cowgirls soo much any victory over them is winnin a war... specially since WE HAVE SIX SUPERBOWLS and they DONT....

thing is.. u gotta live where i live to understand its a battle everyday... and every season we are succsesfull.. .and they arent... its like were winning a war... to me...

please please please dont take things too litterally!!!!!
Old 06-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
thumper
Banned

Member Number: 13415

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelKid212 View Post
lol i know that ! im just too dam passionate and hate the cowgirls soo much any victory over them is winnin a war... specially since WE HAVE SIX SUPERBOWLS and they DONT....

thing is.. u gotta live where i live to understand its a battle everyday... and every season we are succsesfull.. .and they arent... its like were winning a war... to me...

please please please dont take things too litterally!!!!!
OK. I won't rain on your parade. In a way you are right: All they have is their early, mid-90s trophies and NO NO NO NO play off win since. We have had loads of good seasons since then PLUS two more rings, bringing our total higher than theirs.

Plus, the most recent win, head to head. So if you look at it that way, we are winning the WAR.

Not only that, with Jones still running the team and not allowing a REAL head coach to COACH the team, they will not have ultimate success in the near future. I thought when Jones hired Tuna he was finally ready to put winning ahead of his ego; but fact is, he couldn't take it and did bozo moves like signing TO without Tuna's consent. To make matters worse, once it because obvious TO was too much an ass, Jones chose TO over Tuna, AGAIN, serving his ego over the success of the team.

And to add to the enjoyment of Dallas failure, the talent collected (and they have a good deal of talent) will erode as that talent was collected by Tuna's wisdom and decision making. As they move forward, their talent chest will be torn down, just like it was when Jimmy Johnson left. Left on his own, Jones sucks at drafting.

He will burn picks and make foolish picks. Just remember how crappy his teams got as Johnson's picks went away. The latest infusion of talent was Tuna-produced.

Look at how worthless their draft was this year. Look at the drafts they had with Jimmy Johnson, then without, then with Tuna, then without. Notice anything? Jones drafts blow without a football man to run it.

http://www.drafthistory.com/teams/cowboys.html
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #5
Men of Steel
Team Captain

very good points thumper

in other words... cowboys are still rolling all the way downhill.... and were at the TOP of the mountain

hopefully we keep succeeding and Steel Roots keep producing a First Class Organization for many many many many many years to come.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #6
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

6 Rings to 5 Rings and a 2-1 Record in the Big Game. We are Still Winning The War.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #7
SteelCityKing
Head Coach

Member Number: 10886

honestly, who do you think would win in a fight, a steel mill worker or a cowboy?

let's send a letter to Spike TV and see if they'll put it on "Deadliest Warrior." that's be ill. =)
Old 06-26-2009, 08:58 PM   #8
NEPAsteeler
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 11528

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityKing View Post
honestly, who do you think would win in a fight, a steel mill worker or a cowboy?

let's send a letter to Spike TV and see if they'll put it on "Deadliest Warrior." that's be ill. =)
that show is awesome!

steel worker hands down.

Eff the Cowboys.
NEPAsteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityKing View Post

Lol. Best thing I've heard all day. I love that show too!!!!
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #10
Rek
Starter

Member Number: 10681

The Cowboys are becoming a joke of a franchise. All glitz and glamor, no heart or dedication. The complete opposite of the Steelers.