Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 06-28-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,321 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Rod Woodson and big plays synonymous in long career

Rod Woodson made Hall of Fame plays throughout his 17-year career, none more memorable than his rocket in the Astrodome that forged Chuck Noll's first playoff victory in five years.

The Steelers squeaked into the NFL playoffs as a 9-7 wild card in 1989 and opened at the Houston Oilers, the AFC Central Division champs.

The underdog Steelers found themselves on the brink of elimination in overtime as Houston drove near midfield toward a possible winning field goal. Halfback Lorenzo White took a handoff and ran around left end, where Woodson smacked into him, forcing the ball loose. Woodson recovered the fumble at the Oilers' 46 and five plays later Gary Anderson kicked a 50-yard field goal to win it.

"It was a phenomenal play," said Tom Donahoe, the Steelers' former director of football operations. "In the space of one play, Rod changed the whole game. It just seemed with Rod, when a big play had to be made, he'd make it."

Woodson anticipated plays like few others. He made a habit of breaking on sideline patterns to intercept passes, like the one he made against Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly of the Buffalo Bills in 1994.

"We were playing on Monday night in Pittsburgh," former teammate Carnell Lake recalled, "and Rod was talking in the huddle: 'Hey, you safeties, watch my back, they've been running this play a lot and I think they'll run it here and I'll pick it.' Sure enough, Kelly threw the ball his way, Rod picked it and ran for a touchdown."

It covered 37 yards, the Steelers' first touchdown on way to a 23-10 victory.

Woodson's influence, though, went beyond big plays. Former Baltimore coach Brian Billick remembers vividly a game in 2000 when his great Ravens defense faltered early against the Cleveland Browns.

"Cleveland was a team struggling at the time, and we figured, here's another shutout," Billick said. "But the game opens and they go the length of the field for a touchdown."

Billick was about to say something to his defenders as they came off the field when Woodson interrupted him.

"As I was making my way to the defense, Rod approached me and he said, with respect, 'We're fine, leave them alone.' It was his calculation, his assessment, they don't need a butt-chewing right now.

"That's the type of leadership I'm talking about. At times you have to judge, 'Leave them alone.' He sized up a very prideful group and probably the best thing that could happen was what happened, it shocked them and brought them back into focus.

"Cleveland had 80 yards on that first drive and I think 120 for the whole game. The rest of the day was a total beatdown. Rod had that perspective, he could give you those insights."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09179/980394-66.stm
Old 06-28-2009, 09:28 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Rod Woodson and big plays synonymous in long career

Woodson was a true leader and had that knack of bringing his teammates and coaches "over to his side" which was to never quit. With Woodson you knew without a shadow of a doubt that no matter which end of the scoreboard his team was on, he was going to continue to bring it right up until that final second ticked off the clock and expected nothing less of his teammates.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
KingofSparta
Water Boy
Supporter

Member Number: 13754

My hat's off to acknowledge one of the greatest Cornerbacks to ever play the game - arguably THE greatest.

Oh wait, that hat's not coming off.
KingofSparta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Woodson was a true leader and had that knack of bringing his teammates and coaches "over to his side" which was to never quit. With Woodson you knew without a shadow of a doubt that no matter which end of the scoreboard his team was on, he was going to continue to bring it right up until that final second ticked off the clock and expected nothing less of his teammates.
I have listen to him talk many times. I believe he still considers himself a Steeler. He looks like he could still play as well.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Woodson is one of my all time favorite Pittsburgh Steelers.

I will always remember him as a Steelers.....not a 49er, Raider, and damn sure not a Raven.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:35 PM   #6
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,105 Times in 572 Posts

You know, I grew up with Woodson and loved him, but 7 years outside the Steelers uniform and him wearing a Ravens and Raiders jersey ruined it for me. Still like him but for me, a true Steeler doesnt wear a niner, raven and raider uniform. I mean, could he have picked 3 worst teams to play for after his steeler career?
OX1947 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:49 PM   #7
LambertLunatic
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2563

Quote:
Still like him but for me, a true Steeler doesnt wear a niner, raven and raider uniform. I mean, could he have picked 3 worst teams to play for after his steeler career?
Browns, Cowboys, Patriots?
LambertLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
You know, I grew up with Woodson and loved him, but 7 years outside the Steelers uniform and him wearing a Ravens and Raiders jersey ruined it for me. Still like him but for me, a true Steeler doesnt wear a niner, raven and raider uniform. I mean, could he have picked 3 worst teams to play for after his steeler career?
Sorry, you may work for the Ford company for half your life, be completely dedicated etc. But when they tell you that you aren't good enough for them at that position anymore, you have to move on and work someplace else. Where do you go? You go to GM.

Exact same thing. Don't begrudge the man for playing football. I could care less where he went after playing for the Steelers.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:56 PM   #9
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

i have always like woodson, and he is about the only one on the NFL network worth listening too. he knows what he is talking about.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 05:48 AM   #10
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Rod Woodson is the reason why I am a steelers fan. One chance viewing of an NFL game in the early hours of the morning and I was hooked as a steeler fan for life.

Whenever I think of Rod I can only ever see him in Black and Gold. I have no memory of the other teams.

Thank you Rod.