Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-01-2009, 06:19 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,103 Posts
Default ASK THE STEELERS – FRANK SUMMERS – PART 1

From Paul Highfield in Pennsylvania” Can you be the team’s short yardage back and are you up for fighting for that spot?
Frank Summers: I look at myself as fighting for a roster spot period, whether it’s the short yardage spot, special teams, fullback, any spot I can get on the bus and on this team I am more than willing to fulfill that role.

From Laurie Burns in Mississippi: How much of a role will special teams play for you early on?
Frank Summers: I think it will be a huge role. I am looking forward to the opportunity. I love special teams. It’s a game-changing play, whether you are receiving or kicking. I love making big plays and on special teams there are always big plays. I am looking forward to it.

From Jory Dille in Texas: You mentioned that short yardage situations require determination for success. Do you feel that an offensive player’s determination will persevere over the defensive player’s determination in a goal line situation since the offensive player has the end zone as a target?
Frank Summers: I consider myself a defensive player playing offense, just running with the ball. I have the same attitude and nastiness defensive players have when I am running with the ball. I love the contact. I love the physicality of the game. I look forward to it. I look forward to playing big power guys who pride themselves on being real physical.

From Tim Houle in Massachusetts: Would you liken yourself in any way to Jerome Bettis’ style, quickness or overall ability as a big tailback?
Frank Summers: I am not going to make that comparison. He did great things here at this place, won a Super Bowl and is probably a one day Hall of Famer. I can’t compare myself. That is not my place. I just need to make this team, one way or another.

From Maureen Carr in Florida: How did you get your nickname?
Frank Summers: My mother gave it to me when I was born. I started playing football and it stuck with me the whole way through. It was a coincidence that I had the name. It just stuck with me.
From Jack Marks in California: What was your best game in college and why does that game stand out?
Frank Summers: It was the Utah game my junior year. I had three touchdowns and 200 yards rushing. I got conference player of the week. That game was special to me because it was a shutout game for us. I achieved great things as an individual as well as a team and that’s a game I will never forget. My senior season it had to be the Arizona State game. They were the No. 12 team in the country. We had no chance. Everyone was looking past us and we went out and pulled the upset. It was another explosion game for me. I had 100 plus yards. It was another breakout game.

From Ben Samuels in Ohio: Did you get a lot out of the OTA’s, how much do they help?
Frank Summers: It’s like spring ball in college. Being here able to work with the coaches, with Willie (Parker), he is helped me out a lot. Hopefully by the time I get to camp I am fitting in with the others guys, knowing my assignments, knowing what to do and just being able to play football like I know how to do.

http://news.steelers.com/article/105669/
Old 07-01-2009, 06:26 AM   #2
The Definiti0n
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13192
Default Re: ASK THE STEELERS – FRANK SUMMERS – PART 1

From Douche in Harrisburg: Frank, are you the 2nd coming of Jesus sent back to Earth to resurrect The Steelers power running game?

Frank Summers: Yes, Yes I am.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

I like Summer's humble attitude and his willingness to learn and know that he has to work hard to make the team. I think he will make a good steeler no matter what role he ends up playing.
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:00 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,103 Posts

I hope he does make the team and can contribute this year. He moves pretty good for a big man with good feet. I can't wait to see him on special teams with some big hits.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #5
mmalone
Team Captain

Member Number: 13521

SUMMERS: I look at myself as fighting for a roster spot period, whether it’s the short yardage spot,

his first thought. short yardage..

so, he knows he will be the short yardage go to guy.

last comment is great:

Willie (Parker), he is helped me out a lot. Hopefully by the time I get to camp I am fitting in with the others guys, knowing my assignments, knowing what to do and just being able to play football like I know how to do.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:48 AM   #6
SteelKid212
Starter

Member Number: 13746

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Definiti0n View Post
From Douche in Harrisburg: Frank, are you the 2nd coming of Jesus sent back to Earth to resurrect The Steelers power running game?

Frank Summers: Yes, Yes I am.
LMAO!!!

i guess somewhere inside... we all are really "praying" the ground game does indeed get resurrected...
Old 07-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
KingofSparta
Water Boy
Supporter

Member Number: 13754

I've heard nothing but positive things about Frank the Tank and was part of a Steelers mock draft in which he was a player we were all highly targeting in the later rounds. There are some great scouting videos on youtube for anyone who hasn't seen them yet. The kid is a born Steeler and will be a positive addition to our organization.
KingofSparta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
mmalone
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingofSparta View Post
I've heard nothing but positive things about Frank the Tank and was part of a Steelers mock draft in which he was a player we were all highly targeting in the later rounds. There are some great scouting videos on youtube for anyone who hasn't seen them yet. The kid is a born Steeler and will be a positive addition to our organization.
SPARTA!

you are right on... he is a piece of our offense we have been missing for three years.
hopefully he fullfills this mission.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:28 AM   #9
mmalone
Team Captain

Default Re: ASK THE STEELERS-FRANK SUMMERS-PART 1

44 Magnum.. preseason is coming... can not wait...
Old 07-03-2009, 05:11 PM   #10
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

The Tank is coming.......Run for shelter...........