Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default We are so fat

For the fifth consecutive year, Mississippi topped the list as the fattest state, with a third of its adults overweight or obese. Mississippi also has the highest rate of obese and overweight children — 44.4 percent.

Three other states have adult obesity rates above 30 percent: Alabama, West Virginia and Tennessee.
Eight of the 10 states with the worst adult obesity rates are in the South, the report says.

A new report, F as in Fat, says Texas ranks 14th in the nation — in how fat its adults are.

In the same report, the state had the 20th highest rate of overweight youths, ages 10 to 17, at 32.2 percent.

“In 1991, no state had an obesity rate above 20 percent,” a summary of the report says.
“In 1980, the national average for adult obesity was 15 percent.”

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte..._losing_a.html

--------------------------

Time for a Fat Tax!
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,417 Times in 2,369 Posts
Default Re: We are so fat

Miss Mississippi

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,380 Times in 499 Posts

It's all good - if cap and trade goes through, we won't be able to afford food anymore (except maybe Ramen, but really, who eats that shit?). All our money will then be going towards utilities. Problem solved! Change we can believe in!
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #4
Fire Haley
Banned

Along with fat tax - we install fat zones around supermarkets - more than 20% overweight you must park at least 50 parking spots away from entrances.

Then again...

People get fatter as ocean waters rise? - that's evolution!
People with more body fat will float and survive as skinny people sink.

Adapt or die - that is the way of this world.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

We're kind of in the middle here in PA, which is shocking considering the number of pierogies, Roethlisburgers and Primanti sammiches consumed here (especially in the Burgh) on a daily basis.

Fat is unacceptable to me when there are so many resources available out there to help get rid of the glob. Eating a little less with a little daily exercise aint rocket science.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
Fire Haley
Banned

Allow me to climb the soap box.

I've noticed that those we considered "fat kids" when I was young are only plump by today's standards. And there are so many more fat children now.

I put it down to the processed, unnecessarily sweetened food that children are fed today, as well as the lack of exercise that everyone misses out on....and adults are setting the bad example.

Think of all the "comfort" foods: twinkies, cookies, crackers, snak pack, chips, etc, etc. Kids LIVE on that stuff these days. Row after row, gas stations, quickie marts - everywhere.

Fast food: most is starches and sugar (fries, buns, soda, pies, etc), what little veggies are basically garbage scraps. The meat is factory engineered and processed. 10 fast food joints within a mile.

And we wonder why we have obesity?

I don't eat any of that crap. I get my fat the old fashioned way - beer.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Arkansas we eats LOTS of BBQ. Sorry but back in the day, being Plump was a sign of Wealth. it meant you were doing good enough financially to Eat Good.

Skinny people in Colorado eating their Tofu...don't impress me.

Montana folk are so skinny cause they have to still HUNT their own food.

And UTAH, well when you have 8 Wives and 29 Children, you all tend to eat less than average.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
We're kind of in the middle here in PA, which is shocking considering the number of pierogies, Roethlisburgers and Primanti sammiches consumed here (especially in the Burgh) on a daily basis.

Fat is unacceptable to me when there are so many resources available out there to help get rid of the glob. Eating a little less with a little daily exercise aint rocket science.
To much fast foods, and people that don't want to cook anymore. Its just to easy to stop on the way home and pick up something quick, and the only exercises most of our kids get are on the X-Box.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

I can tell you for sure the Gulf Coast isn't where the Mississippi lardasses are. I don't even see a 33% adult obesity rate at Wal-Mart, and my nieces' preschool doesn't have any obese kids. A couple chubbies but no off the charts fatties.

Killer raises a good point. George Will wrote a column a couple months ago about how our farm policies are contributing to the problem--federal farm policy leads to overproduction of corn, a lot of which becomes dirt cheap high fructose corn syrup.

Personally, I think your body fat percentage should also be your income tax rate. And that has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I weigh 145 pounds, I swear!!
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,242 Times in 1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Allow me to climb the soap box.

I've noticed that those we considered "fat kids" when I was young are only plump by today's standards. And there are so many more fat children now.

I put it down to the processed, unnecessarily sweetened food that children are fed today, as well as the lack of exercise that everyone misses out on....and adults are setting the bad example.

Think of all the "comfort" foods: twinkies, cookies, crackers, snak pack, chips, etc, etc. Kids LIVE on that stuff these days. Row after row, gas stations, quickie marts - everywhere.

Fast food: most is starches and sugar (fries, buns, soda, pies, etc), what little veggies are basically garbage scraps. The meat is factory engineered and processed. 10 fast food joints within a mile.

And we wonder why we have obesity?

I don't eat any of that crap. I get my fat the old fashioned way - beer.
not to mention instead of actually leaving your house to go outside and play sports, they now sit in thier bedroom and play them on a tv screen.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote