Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers' Holmes expects return to Super Bowl

Steelers' Holmes expects return to Super Bowl
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_632119.html#
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, July 3, 2009

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. - To wide receiver Santonio Holmes, it isn't a question of his Steelers making it back to Super Bowl XLIIII in Miami.

"We're not wondering will we make it back, if we'll make it back," said Holmes, the Most Valuable Player in Super Bowl XLIII. "We look forward to going back to the Super Bowl.''

Holmes is one of several Steelers working out at Tom Shaw Performance at Disney's Wide World of Sports. The players are preparing for the first day of training camp on July 31 at St. Vincent College, and, ultimately, the team's season opener against the Tennessee Titans Sept. 10 in a Thursday night game at Heinz Field.

"At the start of that first game, it's definitely going to be a blessing to see these guys (that) did it last year,'' Holmes said. "But we know (with) the hard work that we put in, we're looking forward to going."

Some of Holmes' teammates who are training with him in Florida aren't as bold with their Super Bowl predictions, although they are confident.

"We definitely feel like we have a great opportunity ahead of us,'' linebacker James Farrior said. "We can't get too far ahead of ourselves. We've just got to focus on the job at hand and take it through the proper steps, and we feel we can have another good season.''

Shaw, who was New England's speed and conditioning coach when the Patriots won back-to-back Super Bowls a few years ago, compared the Steelers' mindset entering this season with that of the Patriots' after they defeated Carolina in Super Bowl XXXVIII.

New England knocked off Philadelphia the following year to capture Super Bowl XXXIX. The Patriots are the last team to win two consecutive Super Bowls.

"When you think about the Steelers, there's only a couple of stars on the team," Shaw said. "Everybody else, those are the guys that really build a Super Bowl champion. I think that's one thing we had with New England. (Bill) Belichick always made sure that no one was bigger than the team.''

Said Steelers cornerback William Gay: "We are like a band of brothers, like (quarterback) Ben (Roethlisberger) used to say. He's just not saying it just to be saying it.''

Fellow cornerback Ike Taylor guaranteed the Steelers won't take the 2009 regular season for granted. He started on the Super Bowl XL championship team and recalls the heartbreak he experienced when the Steelers finished 8-8 and out of the playoffs the next season.

"We remember how that felt and (are) trying not to let it happen again,'' Taylor said. "We have enough players on the team who went through it and have it in the back of their heads what it's going to take to have success.

"We've got a good mix on the team of young guys and old guys. I like us. We have the confidence and the swagger.''

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119
Default Re: Steelers' Holmes expects return to Super Bowl

I like a team that expects greatness out of themselves,and I think we have a real chance to repeat with the schedule we have and a good core of veteran leaders on this team.
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
Men of Steel
Team Captain

Member Number: 13746
My Mood: Amused

veeery bold prediction.... i hope 'Tone is right..... well they have the right mindset... and the confidence. The team definetly has the right players, personnel, and talent to get back... but in this makeshift league... anything can happen.

Farrior said said it best... they cant get ahead of themselves and just have to focus on getting the job done. but i am confident they will not have a letdown season like the one following XL... not with these veterans... and with Coach T.

Looking forward to this year.

thanks mesa.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,568 Times in 1,508 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I like what I am hearing but I think we have to take it one game at a time. The main thing he said was we can't take it for granit. It kind of reminds me of the Anthony Smith perdiction about beating the Patriots. If we can keep our heads on straight and take it one game at a time then I will see you in Miami.