Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 11-16-2009, 11:46 AM   #151
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Ohio State Football Thread

I'd much rather see a two loss OSU or LSU in a big bowl game than a no loss TCU or Boise...they just don't play the schedule to warrant that kind of recognition...and as long as things stand the way they are, that will not change.

In fact, I'm looking at Cinci's schedule and they haven't beat anybody either.

TCU's signature win was against overrate overrated Utah.
Boise's against inconsistent Oregon.

And the rest of the schedule of those three teams was laughable. There are only about 4-5 "quality wins" amongst 36 games...that's not BCS worthy....

As far as the Iowa game, Tressel played Tressel ball...except this time it worked. ULTRA-conservative, run the ball, play good ST, and play solid defense.

That frosh QB looks like he has a bright future, though...and whoever that freshman left tackle is, he is going to be a STUD. He held his own against Heyward as good as any tackles all year. He may look good in the B&G some day....

Last edited by revefsreleets; 11-16-2009 at 12:01 PM.
revefsreleets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:52 PM   #152
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

I think that Cinci could give most "BCS" teams a run for their money...and probably TCU as well. I'm not 100% sold on Boise ST, but I haven't watched them play either.

I think that if they played in one of the bigger conferences, they'd be exposed as a mid-tier team who has a lot of fight...but not near the talent as some of your perennial contendors.

That being said, I would rather see an undefeated TCU/Cinci get a BCS game over a 2-loss LSU. (Gotta disagree with you on this one Revs). I think that there's a reason why LSU has lost two games...and if it gets to that point, you should be giving some of these other smaller/lesser known schools a chance.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #153
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post

As far as the Iowa game, Tressel played Tressel ball...except this time it worked. ULTRA-conservative, run the ball, play good ST, and play solid defense.

That frosh QB looks like he has a bright future, though...and whoever that freshman left tackle is, he is going to be a STUD. He held his own against Heyward as good as any tackles all year. He may look good in the B&G some day....
Thanks for the kind words about Iowa, they far exceeded my expectations for them this year. I think Vandenburg is going to be a great player, he looked really good in his first start. Maybe if we were not on our fourth running back we could have ran the ball better against OSU. Never know though. I really like our DE but I think he is a senior, not sure though. Claiborne(sp?) is his name.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #154
revefsreleets
Living Legend

LSU lost two games this year because they play like 8 quality opponents. In fact, LSU alone played more games against better teams than Boise, Cinci and TCU COMBINED.

A for Iowa, I was talking about the freshman OLT. He held Cam Hayward in check, and no other team this year has managed that, not USC, not Wiscy, not PSU...

Back to BCS stuff. How do you think Cinci or TCU or Boise would fare if they had to play:
At Washington
At Miss St
At Georgia
Florida
Auburn
At Alabama
Mississippi
Old 11-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #155
SteelMember
Team Owner

Member Number: 8745

LSU lost to the #1 and #2 teams respectively in Florida and Alabama. I think that should put them way ahead of an undefeated Cinci, TCU or Boise imo.

Of those three though, I would give Cinci more props for their Big East Schedule. Although, they still have some tough games left versus Illinios(senior day) and @ Pitt. They could be out of the picture after those two.

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll
SteelMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #156
revefsreleets
Living Legend

That's a good point...although Illinois has been playing better lately, I don't think they have the juice to knock off the Bearcats...but Pitt DEFINITELY can and probably will knock Cinci out of the picture (the game is at Heinz Field).

So there's one.

TCU will win out...they play absolutely nobody the rest of the season (which is pretty much exactly how the first half of their season was). Boise State is in the same boat. They will both win out.

I'm just hoping Bama stays undefeated until their match-up with Florida (who is playing D-1 powerhouse Florida International this week), Bama wins that and plays Texas (who only have Kansas and a mediocre Texas A&M left) in the big game.

Better yet, maybe FSU knocks Florida out of the picture, Bama hands Florida it's SECOND loss and we have the same match-up...
Old 11-25-2009, 10:22 PM   #157
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,861 Times in 934 Posts

Hey, anybody notice the passing of Chris Speilman's wife after a lengthy battle with cancer?? That sucks, as I can remember him shaving his head early in his career as a Lion when she was going thru chemotherapy. He's a solid guy and she's a fighter too that battled it into remission 4 times. Just respecting some good people that happen to be buckeyes.
Old 11-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #158
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,027 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Hey, anybody notice the passing of Chris Speilman's wife after a lengthy battle with cancer??
i noticed. i said i was gonna post a positive thread about an OSU player in the ted ginn is a bust thread as an act of good faith, but i guess i forgot about it/blew it off after it was locked down.

anyways...

barry sanders was my favorite modern day era player (who is not a steeler) and i watched every televised game he ever played in.

so by default i always rooted for the lions and became a huge fan of chris speilman. he was everything that is right about the nfl and i loved watching him play on defense while barry wasnt on the field.

peter king was on sirius radio early morning after her passing (said some really nice words) and reminded me of this article he wrote about 10 years ago.

for anyone who dont know about their story, read this...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...81/1/index.htm

from his twitter page-

Quote:
In 1998, Chris Spielman took the year off from football to take care of Stefanie and their two children. I visited the house that fall ...

She told me the day she had her head shaved in advance of losing all her hair, Chris shaved his head without telling her ...

... and showed up back home with his bald head nicked and bleeding. She cried.
Quote:
Chris Spielman gave tickets to slain Iowa HS football coach Ed Thomas' family for the Iowa-Ohio State game last weekend. 7:41 AM Nov 20th from TweetDeck
i posted kings article on ed thomas a while back. kudos to chris. tremendous person and one hell of a player.

and while they didnt quite rival barry sanders 2 other favorite non steelers rbs happened to be OSU rb's robert smith and eddie george.

pure class.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:44 AM   #159
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Hey, anybody notice the passing of Chris Speilman's wife after a lengthy battle with cancer?? That sucks, as I can remember him shaving his head early in his career as a Lion when she was going thru chemotherapy. He's a solid guy and she's a fighter too that battled it into remission 4 times. Just respecting some good people that happen to be buckeyes.
Speilman has always been a class guy....he played the game right, and was the right kind of guy off the field too...

During the OSU/UM game, Sean McDonough was literally brought to tears when he announced Stephanie's passing the previous Thursday. He couldn't keep the emotiojn out of his voice...They used to be an ESPN announcing team and he obviously grew very close to the family.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #160
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports...io_states.html

It'd sure be nice to have that hoss come anchor our line for the next 3-4 years.