Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 07-08-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
tucker6
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12833
Default 10 Toughest QB's of all time - Sirius

Some idiot on Sirius between 4-5pm yesterday gave his Top Ten toughest QB's of all time. Here are the names on his list:

Brett Favre (#1) I can buy into that one
Peyton Manning (#2) No way, no how
Troy Aikman
Roger Staubach
Johnny Unitas
George Blanda
Ah, NO
Dan Marino
Steve McNair (#3)
Definitely tough, but got 3rd on sympathy IMHO
John Elway (#10) I can agree with his inclusion, but should be much higher
Jim Kelly

Now I don't have a quarrel with some on this list like Favre or Elway or even Aikman, but Manning?? I am absolutely surprised Brady's name didn't show up.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL!!

He then goes on to say that the following two young guns may join this list of "toughest QB's" some day. Ready??

Philip Rivers
Eli Manning

WTF is he smoking? Eli tougher than Ben?? Not in this or the next lifetime. I can't wait for the NFL silly season to end and real football talk to start.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:50 AM   #2
Steelers & I
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 10560
Default Re: 10 Toughest QB's of all time - Sirius

If his list is based solely on toughness, then I don't see how he was able to keep Bubby Brister out of his top 10. Bubby wasn't much of a QB but he was definitely a TOUGH S.O.B.
Steelers & I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:54 AM   #3
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

What, no Terry Bradshaw? I have seen them carry him off the field at half time, and he came back in the 2nd half to throw for 3 TDs and win the frickin game.

I know I'm a homer, but not having him the top 2 or 3 makes this list horse I think I'm being generous too.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #4
wootawnee
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4530

Not to rip on Favre or anyone, but he definately would have missed some games if he played in Terry's time....Those guys back then litteraly crushed qb's and got away with it......After the whistle too...... Terry would run the ball and run over and run through linebackers and safties......That dude was tough......4.5 speed....

Did you ever here the story when he got crushed one game and was still on the strecher when they got on the plane.......Ernie Holmes carried him up the steps and all the way back the isle of the plane by himself, strecher and all.......Those were tough days and men.......These guys now got it much more cushy.....

Old 07-08-2009, 07:07 AM   #5
tucker6
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12833

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers & I View Post
If his list is based solely on toughness, then I don't see how he was able to keep Bubby Brister out of his top 10. Bubby wasn't much of a QB but he was definitely a TOUGH S.O.B.
It was based on toughness, but at times, he would mention longevity as a critieria. What length of time has to do with toughness, I don't know. Blanda was on the list as I recall based on playing 26 years and 340 games. I guess he forgot most of those years and games were played as a kicker.

I probably would not haved picked Marino or Manning for the list simply because they didn't have to take 45 sacks a year like Ben does. He picked Marino because Dan wore so many pads on his body. Again, that's a flimsy reason to select someone as tough. One could say it shows a pain intolerance.

I was shocked that someone like Steve Young or Bradshaw were not on the list. I remember Terry being spiked in the head and still coming back in to play. Or how about Joe Montana? He doesn't come straight to mind when I think of tough, but he came back to play six weeks after back surgery. That's damn tough.

I always had respect for Roger Staubach, but I think his problem was lack of mobility. He couldn't get out of the way fast enough sometimes. When I think of tough, I think of Elway airplane spinning at the goal line in a desperate atempt to score. Roger was a statue and got pummeled.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:46 AM   #6
STEELtownHAVOX
Starter

Member Number: 6464

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
Some idiot on Sirius between 4-5pm yesterday gave his Top Ten toughest QB's of all time. Here are the names on his list:

Brett Favre (#1) I can buy into that one
Peyton Manning (#2) No way, no how
Troy Aikman
Roger Staubach
Johnny Unitas
George Blanda
Ah, NO
Dan Marino
Steve McNair (#3)
Definitely tough, but got 3rd on sympathy IMHO
John Elway (#10) I can agree with his inclusion, but should be much higher
Jim Kelly
For the next "young guys" I would have to add Big Ben and Rivers. River's has been one tough dude the last couple of seasons. Peyton has never missed a game due to injury, but I'm still not so sure he should be on this list.
STEELtownHAVOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,317 Times in 477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELtownHAVOX View Post
Peyton has never missed a game due to injury, but I'm still not so sure he should be on this list.
Maybe because he rarely ever gets hit, and when he does, he pitches a bitch fit about it, just like Brady does. He's a great QB, but that doesn't make him tough.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:54 AM   #8
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Who was the only QB to headbutt a moving car's windshield and not miss a game because of it?

* he missed the 1st game due to an appendectomy

After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
STEELtownHAVOX
Starter

Member Number: 6464

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Maybe because he rarely ever gets hit, and when he does, he pitches a bitch fit about it, just like Brady does. He's a great QB, but that doesn't make him tough.
exactly what i was referring to.
STEELtownHAVOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:19 AM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I disagree that Favre wouldn't have made it back in the day. I remember reading an article about him (I think Holmgren was referenced, but can't say for sure), and the coach said Favre had the most amazing regenerative powers he'd ever seen in a player, and by a wide margin. He'd get hurt, and instead of suffering for a week like most players with the same malady, he'd be healed completely the next day.

Blanda definitely belongs...dude played into his 50's.

Manning i have no idea...guy rarely takes a full shot, and his OL never gets called for holding, so the playing field isn't level.