Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 07-08-2009, 08:44 AM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default NOT a Hate Crime?

First off, I have stated many times that I am very much against "Hate Crime Laws". They seem stupid and redundant...why would it be WORSE to pick a victim based on race or sexual orientation? If someone gets tied to a post and beaten to death, the penalty should be as harsh as possible regardless of the motivation. It doesn't make the crime "better" if it was white on white, and it doesn't make it worse if it's motivated by something else.

That being said, this stupid POS law is on the books, so my question is, WHY is it not applied in any sort of realistic and consistent fashion. Read this story and tell me how this is NOT a hate crime, and ask yourself if it was 50 white kids and a black family would the case be the same? I guarantee you it would not...in fact, Jesse and Al would have been in Akron calling for the death penalty for the white kids.

http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/50172282.html

Akron police investigate teen mob attack on family By Phil Trexler
Beacon Journal staff writer

Akron police say they aren't ready to call it a hate crime or a gang initiation.
But to Marty Marshall, his wife and two kids, it seems pretty clear.
It came after a family night of celebrating America and freedom with a fireworks show at Firestone Stadium. Marshall, his family and two friends were gathered outside a friend's home in South Akron.
Out of nowhere, the six were attacked by dozens of teenage boys, who shouted ''This is our world'' and ''This is a black world'' as they confronted Marshall and his family.
The Marshalls, who are white, say the crowd of teens who attacked them and two friends June 27 on Girard Street numbered close to 50. The teens were all black.
''This was almost like being a terrorist act,'' Marshall said. ''And we allow this to go on in our neighborhoods?''
They said it started when one teen, without any words or warning, blindsided and assaulted Marshall's friend as he stood outside with the others.
When Marshall, 39, jumped in, he found himself being attacked by the growing group of teens.
His daughter, Rachel, 15, who weighs about 90 pounds, tried to come to his rescue. The teens pushed her to the ground.
His wife, Yvonne, pushed their son, Donald, 14, into bushes to keep him protected.
''My thing is,'' Marshall said, ''I didn't want this, but I was in fear for my wife, my kids and my friends. I felt I had to stay out there to protect them, because those guys were just jumping, swinging fists and everything.
''I'm lucky. They didn't break my ribs or bruise my ribs. I thank God, they concentrated on my thick head because I do have one. They were trying to take my head off my spine, basically.''
After several minutes of punches and kicks, the attack ended and the group ran off. The Marshalls' two adult male friends were not seriously hurt.
''I don't think I thought at that moment when I tried to jump in,'' Rachel Marshall said. ''But when I was laying on the ground, I was just scared.''
Marshall was the most seriously injured. He suffered a concussion and multiple bruises to his head and eye. He said he spent five nights in the critical care unit at Akron General Medical Center.
The construction worker said he now fears for his family's safety, and the thousands of dollars in medical bills he faces without insurance.
''I knew I was going to get beat, but not as bad as I did,'' Marshall said. ''But I did it to protect my family. I didn't have a choice. There was no need for this. We should be all getting along. But to me, it seems to be racist.''
Akron police are investigating. Right now, the case is not being classified as a racial hate crime. There were no other reports of victims assaulted by the group that night.
The department's gang unit is involved in the investigation, police said.
''We don't know if it's a known gang, or just a group of kids,'' police Lt. Rick Edwards said.
The Marshalls say they fear retaliation at home or when they go outside. They are considering arming themselves, but they're concerned about the possible problems that come with guns.
For now, they are hoping police can bring them suspects. They believe they can identify several of the attackers.
''This makes you think about your freedom,'' Marshall said. ''In all reality, where is your freedom when you have this going on?''
Old 07-08-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,011 Times in 1,869 Posts
Default Re: NOT a Hate Crime?

If the circumstances were switched around, they would be calling it a lynch mob.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #3
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Welcome to reverse racism. I saw a good serving of this in the Navy. And while people want to turn their head to it, it is becoming more common.

If minorities do something it's for their freedom, their rights. But if a majority group does the exact same thing it's based on hate! This countries moral and ethic compass is so screwed up!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Whats the ORC define a hate crime as?
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Ohio Revised Code qualifies any crime committed motivated by race, color, religion or national origin as a hate crime.

This IS a hate crime...but why aren't they treating it as such? This is a major reason why this stupid-assed law needs taken off the books yesterday.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Ohio Revised Code qualifies any crime committed motivated by race, color, religion or national origin as a hate crime.

This IS a hate crime...but why aren't they treating it as such? This is a major reason why this stupid-assed law needs taken off the books yesterday.
Come on Rev you know the answer to that question. If you're a white victim then it wasn't hate.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
Come on Rev you know the answer to that question. If you're a white victim then it wasn't hate.
We had it coming to us?
Old 07-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #8
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Its complete bullshit. I hate to say it but White people get shit on every possible chance presented. Racism is racism regardless how is doing it or receiving it.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:50 AM   #9
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

not racist at all but these are the things that bother me..
another example of reverse racism is this.
a college in my area has on their home page "a great black college"..... now.. its open to anyone.... what if the college i went to said..."a great white college" on their home page? they would proubably be shut down

Its a one way street... and it needs to stop..
Old 07-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

Sounds like a hate crime to me! First off they shouted "This is a black world, this is our world" then attacked a group of whites. Would they have attacked the same family if they were black? NOPE! I do agree with you Rev's, hate crimes are total BS! A crime is a crime!

I agree with everyone, turn the tables. White kids yell "This is a white world" and attack a family of blacks, game over. Sharpton, Jackson, NAACP, and the gang would all be there. It is complete BS.

BIGBEN, you are completely right. I saw on BET they had a black pocker tournament (was flipping channels) on their station, now imagine if it was WET (white entertainment television) and it was a white pocker tournament, GAME OVER! RACISM< RACISM< RACISM!

It is not an even playing field anymore!