Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 07-10-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
Phil03
Water Boy

Member Number: 8549
Default Offensive Line Analysis

Hey guys,
I wrote an analysis of the Steelers offensive line as I did last year for my website:
http://www.ultimateffstrategy.com/20...h_steelers.htm

Feel free to post any comments, suggestions or corrections I should make to my article.

Thanks,
Phil
Phil03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,141 Times in 1,059 Posts
Default Re: Offensive Line Analysis

Nice effort on the analysis. I just tend to disagree with several points.

- Starks is both a decent run and pass blocker, but rarely seems consistent in his focus on either. He makes great blocks and then follows them up with mistakes that a 5 year pro should not make.

-Kemo is actually very mobile for his size. He can pull rather well, but don't ask him to change direction with that 330lb frame. He looked to struggle with blitz and twist recognition is pass protection.

Hartwig is probably the most solid technically of the starting 5 O linemen. He doesnt lack strength as you say....its just he is normally outweighed by 30lbs by the big NT's in the NFL. If anything, he gets beat by quickness as he isnt overly agile.

Stapleton is actually a pretty poor run blocker as he gets pushed around. He is fairly athletic and can get to the 2nd level agains 4-3 fronts and IMO is a better pass protector than run blocker because of his athleticism and lack of strength.

Willie Colon probably has the 2nd best feet on the O line and is not slow, but rather he gets beat by edge rushers because of his lack of height and arm length. He is probably the most nasty run blocker on the team and a guy that gives the most effort of any of the starting 5. If he was 6'6" with longer arms......he would be much better than Starks.

Again, just my opinions and observations as a guy that closely watches close line play on the O and D sides of the ball. Nice effort on your site.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Nice effort on the analysis. I just tend to disagree with several points.

- Starks is both a decent run and pass blocker, but rarely seems consistent in his focus on either. He makes great blocks and then follows them up with mistakes that a 5 year pro should not make.

-Kemo is actually very mobile for his size. He can pull rather well, but don't ask him to change direction with that 330lb frame. He looked to struggle with blitz and twist recognition is pass protection.

Hartwig is probably the most solid technically of the starting 5 O linemen. He doesnt lack strength as you say....its just he is normally outweighed by 30lbs by the big NT's in the NFL. If anything, he gets beat by quickness as he isnt overly agile.

Stapleton is actually a pretty poor run blocker as he gets pushed around. He is fairly athletic and can get to the 2nd level agains 4-3 fronts and IMO is a better pass protector than run blocker because of his athleticism and lack of strength.

Willie Colon probably has the 2nd best feet on the O line and is not slow, but rather he gets beat by edge rushers because of his lack of height and arm length. He is probably the most nasty run blocker on the team and a guy that gives the most effort of any of the starting 5. If he was 6'6" with longer arms......he would be much better than Starks.

Again, just my opinions and observations as a guy that closely watches close line play on the O and D sides of the ball. Nice effort on your site.
Pretty good analysis. Although I will disagree on Hartwig (just from what I have seen). He routinely gets pushed around at the point of attack, and most of the sacks in the Eagles game, if you watch, were due to the middle of the line completely collapsing, yet both guards were engaged and picking up the blitzers hitting their gaps. There were a ffew plays where Hartwig just seemed to be out of place and not able to figure out which guy he was supposed to take on (scary, since the Cis responsible for calling the blocking assignments), and by the time he figured it out, the defenders were already past him.

His performance in the Superbowl was terrible at best.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:54 PM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Pretty good analysis. Although I will disagree on Hartwig (just from what I have seen). He routinely gets pushed around at the point of attack, and most of the sacks in the Eagles game, if you watch, were due to the middle of the line completely collapsing, yet both guards were engaged and picking up the blitzers hitting their gaps. There were a ffew plays where Hartwig just seemed to be out of place and not able to figure out which guy he was supposed to take on (scary, since the Cis responsible for calling the blocking assignments), and by the time he figured it out, the defenders were already past him.

His performance in the Superbowl was terrible at best.
Actually, I graded the 9 sacks in the Eagles game as 4-O line, 3-QB, 2 WR/TE. Ron Jaworski of ESPN credited 3-O line, 3-QB, 3-TE/WR.

I distinctly remember LT-Marvel Smith getting beat for 1 by Trent Cole, another one Kemo blocked the defender to the left of him and let the rusher between he and Hartwig go free............So I don't know where you get blaming the Eagles game on Hartwig...especially because the Eagles run a 4-3 and Hartwig wasnt getting pushed into the backfield by the MLB.

Have a look at the Super Bowl again.(its fun). The guy getting beat in the middle most of the game was Darnell Stapleton. Dockett and Gabe Watson also split the gap between Starks and Kemo a lot. Heath Miller makes a great catch down around the 4 yard line in the 1st quarter and Ben got rocked because Starks completely wiffed on his block.

If anything, Hartwig played a solid game in the SB, but most casual fans never watch the O line unless something bad happens...like a holding call in the end zone.

I however do watch the O line and Kemo pulled well to the right(which some say he cant do) to lead parker down inside the 10, Colon busted his butt while Ben was scrambling to extend plays (like the 3rd down toss to Miller), Stapleton got pushed around and Starks was his usual inconsistent self, blocking well some plays and getting beat like a rented mule on others.
Old 07-11-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Actually, I graded the 9 sacks in the Eagles game as 4-O line, 3-QB, 2 WR/TE. Ron Jaworski of ESPN credited 3-O line, 3-QB, 3-TE/WR.
Have a look at the Super Bowl again.(its fun). The guy getting beat in the middle most of the game was Darnell Stapleton. Dockett and Gabe Watson also split the gap between Starks and Kemo a lot. Heath Miller makes a great catch down around the 4 yard line in the 1st quarter and Ben got rocked because Starks completely wiffed on his block.
I thought the last half of the season, the interior of the line was the weak part of the line, and Stapleton was the weak part of the interior. He will probably look better this year, but I think his days as a starter are numbered.

I'm still going to watch O'Dowd closely this year.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 12:53 AM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
There’s a Hole in the Pittsburgh O-Line- And it’s at the center and left guard positions. Justin Hartwig and Chris Kemeoatu have not been doing Ben Roethlisberger many favors this year. Whereas most quarterbacks improve their passer rating during blitzes, Roethlisberger’s dropped this year from 80.3 in normal situations to 70.3 in blitzes. Considering that the average quarterback improves 5.6 ratings points with a standard deviation of 4.4, Roethlisberger’s drop during blitzes is alarming. When you watch the film, you see that teams send blitzing defenders primarily into the gap between Hartwig and Kemeoatu. As if allowing sacks weren’t enough, Steeler’s running backs’ yards per carry drop from 3.7 overall to 3.3 when running through the left side of the offensive line.
http://community.advancednflstats.co...-food-for.html

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:15 PM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
Yeah, that article speaks some truth in the passing game. Stapleton has quick feet and mirrors rushers quite well. Throughout the season it was pretty obvious that if you overload or stunt to Kemo's side, he wasnt that comfortable at recognizing and picking it up. Several posters including LLT pointed that out repeatedly.

If the article considers the running game and they watched the film, they would see Darnell Stapleton getting routinely handled in the run game vs 4-3 teams, but getting to the LB vs 3-4 teams. They would also see Hartwig seal rather effectively and create rush lanes, while Kemo was dominant one play.......then missing blocks the next.

I was very critical of Kemo and Starks and believe that 4 year vets like themselves should be more consistent. All I can do is hope they become consistent performers for the Steelers, rather than boom or bust like a nickel slot machine.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
I thought the last half of the season, the interior of the line was the weak part of the line, and Stapleton was the weak part of the interior. He will probably look better this year, but I think his days as a starter are numbered.

I'm still going to watch O'Dowd closely this year.
Yeah, I still think we have not found our center of the future, but might be able to get by with several of the guys we have on the team now for another season.

O ' Dowd might be the best this season. Matt Tennant of Boston College is another that could rise up draft boards this year. O linemen from BC are solid and USC might have the best O-line coach in the NCAA.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,580 Posts

Quote:
Yeah, I still think we have not found our center of the future, but might be able to get by with several of the guys we have on the team now for another season.

O ' Dowd might be the best this season. Matt Tennant of Boston College is another that could rise up draft boards this year. O linemen from BC are solid and USC might have the best O-line coach in the NCAA.
well i thought the same thing about LT and LG , but i guess the F.O. disagrees....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
well i thought the same thing about LT and LG , but i guess the F.O. disagrees....
I am with you on that one. I thought that both LT and LG were suspect positions, but there has been little O line talent drafted in previous years.....so they went with the best option available(without spending on other team's prospects).

The good thing is neither of those contracts would be a big albatross around the teams neck in the next couple seasons.