Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-15-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default ESPYs feature several Steelers nominations

ESPYs feature several Steelers nominations
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...rce=rss&feed=9
By John Harris, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
John Harris is a sports columnist for the Tribune-Review. He can be reached via e-mail or at 412-481-5432.

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes is a huge fan of actor Samuel L. Jackson. When they met to film commercials for the 2009 ESPYs, airing Sunday night on ESPN, Holmes was stunned to learn that Jackson also admires his work specifically his winning touchdown catch from Ben Roethlisberger in Super Bowl XLIII.

"The whole time we did the commercial, every time we took a break, he was always standing on his toes," said Holmes, describing Jackson's imitation of his straddling-the-sideline grab that's been nominated for an ESPY for best sports play of the year.

Holmes said that Jackson, who will host the ESPYs, had an important question for him.

"How in the heck did you do that?" said Holmes, who is training at Disney's Wide World of Sports.

Holmes and Roethlisberger are expected to attend today's taping of the ESPYs in Los Angeles.

The Steelers are being nominated for several ESPYs, including Mike Tomlin for best coach/manager and linebacker James Harrison for best NFL player.

Holmes is the lone Steeler being utilized by the network to promote the awards show.

In a series of commercials, Jackson tells Holmes he must relinquish all of his jewelry to secure a fan's vote for best play of the year including his beloved Super Bowl XLIII ring. Reluctantly, Holmes hands over the ring.

"I worked with Samuel L. Jackson. I'm a real, big fan. I sent an autographed jersey to him. I appreciated him having me on the commerical with him. That was a lot of fun," Holmes said.

It's been a busy offseason for Holmes, who evolved from talented football player to off-field personality after being named Super Bowl MVP.

Holmes became popular on the talk-show circuit, introducing himself to non-football fans who didn't know him before the Super Bowl. He's also doing more Reebok commercials after signing a multi-year deal with the shoe company in November.

"I'm just doing my thing with Reebok," he said. "Whatever they need."

Holmes had to learn how to pick and choose, balancing his new-found popularity with offseason demands that include regular workouts with speed and conditioning coach Tom Shaw in Florida.

The day after winning the Super Bowl, Holmes was at Disney World as part of the traditional "I'm going to Disney World" commercial featuring the game's MVP.

The next day, Holmes was training with Shaw.

"I did Jay Leno and Regis and Kelly and '106th and Park' (on BET). I had an invite to the BET Awards. I had an invite to the Grammys. I was out there around that time, but I chose not to go," Holmes said. "That's not the lifestyle I live. I play football."

And the nominees are ...

The 2009 ESPY awards will be televised Sunday night on ESPN. The show will be taped today from the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles.

The Steelers have received nominations in several ESPY categories:

Best game: Steelers vs. Cardinals, Super Bowl XLIII.

Best play: Ben Roethlisberger to Santonio Holmes, Super Bowl XLIII winning touchdownwn.

Best team: Steelers.

Best coach/manager: Mike Tomlin.

Best NFL player: James Harrison.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393
Default Re: ESPYs feature several Steelers nominations

Tomlin should be a lock for best coach/manager
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:29 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,585 Times in 1,519 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: ESPYs feature several Steelers nominations

Hopefully we can bring home several of those.