Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-16-2009, 01:09 PM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Has the Worm Turned?

It's not much, but since we are usually inundated with nothing but puff pieces slobbering all over Obama, maybe this puff piece lightly mocking some of his gaffe's signifies some sea-change in the media's handling of "The Chosen One"?

Nah, probably not...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/250...FtYWxvc2luZ2g-

Carol E. Lee Carol E. Lee – 1 hr 29 mins ago
It’s been a tough week for [COLOR=#000000 ! important]President[/COLOR] Obama’s cool factor.
Not only is he weathering criticism of his policies, but the Cool One has also taken a few dings to his immaculate image in recent days.
It started on Monday. Speaking at the White House, [COLOR=#000000 ! important]Obama[/COLOR] was just getting into a sharp defense of his economic agenda when one of the teleprompter screens holding his speech crashed to the floor and shattered into pieces.
“Oh, goodness,” said a surprised Obama. “Sorry about that, guys.”
Needing a teleprompter is one thing. But having it crash to the ground mid-speech was, well, a long way from Obama’s on-camera fly-swatting for CNBC. Then, the chief of cool had men everywhere suddenly feeling insecure about their inferior ability to conquer insects.
On Monday, the president's audience snickered, while he didn’t crack a smile, and it took a few moments for him to adjust to reading his remarks without looking to his left, where there was now just an empty pole.
On Tuesday, Obama was put to another test: throwing out his first pitch as president. He had practiced with Reggie Love. He got advice from Willie Mays. But the pitch was a bit of a lob and while it didn’t hit the ground, it also didn’t clear the plate, like Obama had wanted. It was fine. But not the impressive performance some expected from the athletic president.
Even his hometown paper, the Chicago Tribune, said he was “lacking in style points on his short southpaw lob to home plate.”
Then there were the Dad Jeans – otherwise known as the Levis Obama sported when he threw out the pitch.
“Did Obama’s stylist come steal them from the closet of Frank Stransky?” a writer for Entertainment Weekly, Tanner Stransky, wrote in a blog post, apparently referring to his own father.
“I suppose President Obama is indeed a father, so we should allow him such a strike against humanity,” the blog continued. “And I guess he couldn't have come out in skin-tight baseball pants (or, rather, why not?) or the suit pants that he normally dons. But my, oh my. I wasn't ready to see him in such an ill-fitting pair of what look like 501s. I thought he was cooler than that, somehow. This humanizing of the President doesn't sit so well with me.”
And in one more embarrassing incident this week, Obama, a stickler for pronunciation, stumbled over the name of his surgeon general-designate's hometown – and had to ask Dr. Regina Benjamin for help pronouncing “Bayou La Batre.”
“Did I say that right?” Obama said. “Tell me how to say…” he said, turning to Benjamin for help, and then trying again: “Bayou La Batre. That’s in Alabama people.”
Old 07-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #2
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741
Default Re: Has the Worm Turned?

It's a blip on the map...and probably not much more for another 6 months or so. Once everything starts piling up though..it'll be too hard to ignore
Old 07-16-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

But, but, but, but Bush.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

When people keep losing jobs across the country, they don't want people in the news telling them what a bang up job the Prez is doing. Not when they are STILL losing Homes, Losing Jobs, Losing HOPE and Sick Of The Change.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
revefsreleets
Living Legend

I think it's started...the media polished this turd up nice and shiny, and the American people bought it (or ate it, depending)...but the luster and shine is rubbing off.

Obama is a lemon and it's only a matter of time until there's no way even his most staunch (and clearly blind) supporters have to fess up. Chinks are here:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/200...politico/25114

Finally, we’re starting to see him sweat.

President Barack Obama made his personal icy cool the trademark of his campaign, the tenor of his White House and the hallmark of an early run of successes at home and abroad. But as the glamour wears off and a long, frustrating summer wears on, he is being forced to improvise — stooping to respond to political foes and adjusting his tactics and demeanor for the trench warfare of a legislative agenda.................
Old 07-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
“Did I say that right?” Obama said. “Tell me how to say…” he said, turning to Benjamin for help, and then trying again: “Bayou La Batre. That’s in Alabama people.”
I saw that live. I didn't realize there were people in this country who hadn't heard of Bayou La Batre.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #7
beSteelmyheart
Team Captain

Member Number: 1249

This sort of thing just reeks of the celebrity bashing kind of crap that one might see on entertainment tonight or something. Ugh. Who cares if a guy flubbed some speeches? It wont be the first prez to do so & certainly won't be the last.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
revefsreleets
Living Legend

That isn't the point...prior to this, NOTHING the man did was in the slightest way scrutinized. He was lionized by the press, and the press does an awful lot in forming public opinion of elected officials. Conversely, if Bush looked into a camera cross-eyed, he was viciously ripped up in the press. It's very difficult to gain any kind of public opinion advantages if the pop media is tearing you down for every little misstep or miscue.

They've handled Obama with kid gloves, and that is NOT fair, balanced or consistent. These early and tentative forays into leveling a little scrutiny at the guy, a little bit of critical analysis, is a GOOD thing, because it shows that the press still knows how to do their job, and there's hope that a level playing field can still be achieved.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,803 Times in 4,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post

They've handled Obama with kid gloves, and that is NOT fair, balanced or consistent. These early and tentative forays into leveling a little scrutiny at the guy, a little bit of critical analysis, is a GOOD thing, because it shows that the press still knows how to do their job, and there's hope that a level playing field can still be achieved.
this is pure sour grapes and boarder line whining that is really unbecoming of you.

are you really suggesting that obama shoulda turned himself into a crotchety old coot to make it a level playing field and make it "fair"?

just think, what you are asking for mightve landed the democrats the WH in '00 or '04.

but theres no sense in crying about the past, right?

"bu..bu..bu..mccain-nofair"? really?
Old 07-21-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

I've been alive long enough to see 8 presidents, and aware of what was going on around 5 of them. I've NEVER seen a politician handled as gently by the media as Obama. Never.

So go ahead and blame me for that. Say it's whining or sour grapes. Whatever. It still does nothing to change the FACT that the media is still nobslobbing all over this dude.

I'd be willing to wager that I could get a couple "amen's" from some of the older posters who can affirm what I'm saying.

Obama is driving the ship into an iceberg, the media is cheerleading him on, and his fanboys are still whipped up in a frenzy over this jackass, BUT I'M the one being accused of wrongdoing. That's a problem...