Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 07-17-2009, 06:50 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ben Roethlisberger; five years in is he better than Terry Bradshaw?

Ben Roethlisberger; five years in is he better than Terry Bradshaw?
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...Terry-Bradshaw
Matt Pawlikowski

Pittsburgh Sports Examiner

An award-winning writer, Matt grew up in Western PA and has covered the Pittsburgh sports scene for over 15 years, including a Steelers beat the past nine years.

Western Pennsylvania has been a mecca for quarterbacks since the 1950's when it comes to the NFL.

George Blanda, Dan Marino, Joe Montana, Joe Namath, John Unitas, Jim Kelly and Joe Namath are all in the Hall of Fame.

The Steelers on the other hand have always been known for its running game. Bill Dudley, Franco Harris, Jerome Bettis and Willie Parker.

But now that Ben Roethlisberger has garnered his second Super Bowl ring in just five years, the question is not who is the greatest quarterback to come out of the Western Pa. area, but who is the best Steeler quarterback of All-time.

Is it Big Ben or Hall of Famer Terry Bradshaw?
At this juncture you have to give those kudos to Bradshaw because he not only is in the HOF, he still is the career passing leader for the Steelers and also has four Lombardi's to his name.

But after Roethlisberger's performance in Super Bowl XLIII the debate has begun.

So just how do you make a comparison of the two at this point? It is simple, by taking a look at what the two did their first five years.

Roethlisberger currently ranks seventh all-time in NFL passer rating (89.4) and yards per attempt (7.86) among quarterbacks with a minimum of 1500 career attempts. Bradshaw's career rating was 70.9, with his highest an 88.o rating in 1978.

As a rookie, Roethlisberger went 130 in the regular season (14-1 including playoffs) as a starting quarterback, helping the Steelers become the first AFC team to have 15 wins. It set a record for rookie NFL quarterback.

Bradshaw on the other hand did not became a starter until one year after he was drafted in 1970. His first campaign, he had just six touchdowns and 24 interceptions.

But in his second year, he threw the pass which is Pittsburgh lore, as it began a new era in Steeler football, a torch that Roethlisberger carries on today.

That pass? The "Immaculate Reception".

In his first five seasons, Roethlisberger has a record of 58-22 as a starter, and has gone 8-2 in the playoffs. He has thrown for 101 touchdowns and 69 interceptions to go along with 14,974 yards.

Bradshaw, who was occasionally benched for his play, had just 42 touchdowns and 81 interceptions along with 7,524 yards. But he was 4-2 in the playoffs.

An interesting thing about Bradshaw was that during his career, he passed for more than 300 yards in a game only seven times,

But three of those performances came in post-season play, two of them in Super Bowls. In four career Super Bowls he passed for 932 yards and nine touchdowns,which were both Super Bowl records at the time of his retirement.

Thus far Big Ben already has seven career 300 yard passing games, but only one has come in the playoffs.

Still, there has been no other quarterback to rack up as many wins (52) as Roethlisberger has had in his first five years. Not poster child Tom Brady (48), not Otto Graham (48), not Dan Marino (48) or even John Elway, who had 46.

Yes, five years into his career Roethlisberger is ahead of Bradshaw statistically speaking. But to say he is better than Bradshaw after five years is unfair.

One need remember this.

When Bradshaw was drafted by the Steelers, they were a horrendous team and in the process of building for the future. He was part of that foundation. The passing game rules were also different, and QB's ratings reflected that.

Roethlisberger on the other hand came into a situation where the team had a number of core players and the talent to win.

It's way too early to say he if he is better than Bradshaw, but one can definitely say he is to the Steelers now, what Bradshaw was to them in the 1970's.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891
Default Re: Ben Roethlisberger; five years in is he better than Terry Bradshaw?

Still can't believe it took us what? 30 Years to draft a QB in the First Round again. Seriously.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

I think Mark Malone was a First Rounder in 1980.

I'm willing to say that Ben's first 5 years were better than Terry's first 5 years. As far as the best Steelers QB of all time, not yet.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post

I'm willing to say that Ben's first 5 years were better than Terry's first 5 years. As far as the best Steelers QB of all time, not yet.
I agree since I seem remember Steeler fans cheering at a home game when Bradshaw got injured. Big Ben has had it a lot easier than Terry did.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:07 AM   #5
mmalone
Team Captain

Member Number: 13521

Quote:

If Ben gets the back-to-back this year... plays a great season. he will be #1 in the steelers books... he is a play maker...
Old 07-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #6
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

While I am a huge Ben fan...Bradshaw is still the man.

Ben won't be the man to some people unless he wins five Super Bowls.

For some, it will just take getting to the top of the other statistical categories.

For me, I have learned to separate the two. They played in two different eras of football, much less two different eras of Steelers football.

Bradshaw will forever be #1. The first QB to win four Super Bowls. The first QB in Steelers history to win a playoff game.

But soon, Bradshaw will be 1a in my book with Big Ben 1b. But until that day, it's Bradshaw #1 and Ben #2.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
Still can't believe it took us what? 30 Years to draft a QB in the First Round again. Seriously.
After taking Malone in the first in '80, I can understand why the FO was gun shy about it.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:29 AM   #8
tucker6
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12833

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
After taking Malone in the first in '80, I can understand why the FO was gun shy about it.
Considering how few 1st rd QB's ever pan out to be franchise QB's, we're lucky to have drafted two of them. The NFL network did the top ten QB's drafted 1st in the 1st rd the other day, and the list was getting kinda rancid towards #10. Eli was on that list if that means anything to you.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmalone View Post
If Ben gets the back-to-back this year... plays a great season. he will be #1 in the steelers books... he is a play maker...
Not in my book. Until Ben get's ring #5, no Steeler QB will surpass Bradshaw.

Keep in mind, Bradshaw called all his own plays, played in a more difficult era for a QB, and was every bit of a winner as Ben.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #10
mmalone
Team Captain

Member Number: 13521

Quote:
Not in my book. Until Ben get's ring #5, no Steeler QB will surpass Bradshaw.

Keep in mind, Bradshaw called all his own plays, played in a more difficult era for a QB, and was every bit of a winner as Ben.
i know i have been watching steel football since 1968 .. it has been an awesome road to watch... Bradshaw did have swann, stallworth, webster, franco and blier, plus a good OL.

One thing for sure, he didnt have the rules of today to protect him.

its a tough call. but i really feel ben is in control of this offense over everything else, he has to be.

where bradshaw had a great cast of support....

i can feel bens hits each year.... and he still comes back.

its a toss up... bradshaw was tough as nails too.

its great to be a steeler fan. hopefully ben gets 2 more rings.