Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-21-2009, 11:33 PM   #1
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,458 Times in 1,672 Posts
Default Senate To Vote On National Right-To-Carry

U.S. Senate To Vote On National Right-To-Carry
Reciprocity Amendment Early This Week

July 21, 2009

The U.S. Senate is now considering the National Defense Authorization Act (S. 1390). As a part of the consideration of that legislation, Senators John Thune (R-SD) and David Vitter (R-LA) will offer an amendment this week to provide for interstate recognition of Right-to-Carry permits. There is a very high likelihood of a Senate floor vote on this important and timely pro-gun reform between now and Wednesday.

Now is the time for Congress to recognize that the right to self-defense does not end at state lines. Under the Thune-Vitter amendment, an individual who has met the requirements for a carry permit, or who is otherwise allowed by his home state's state law to carry a firearm, would be authorized to carry a firearm for protection in any other state that issues such permits, subject to the laws of the state in which the firearm is carried.

Contrary to "states' rights" claims from opponents who usually favor sweeping federal gun control, the amendment is a legitimate exercise of Congress's constitutional power to protect the fundamental rights of citizens (including the right to keep and bear arms and the right of personal mobility). States would still have the authority to regulate the time, place and manner in which handguns are carried.

Expanding Right-to-Carry will enhance public safety, and certainly poses no threat to the public. Criminals are deterred from attempting crimes when they know or suspect that their prospective victims are armed. A study for the Department of Justice found that 40 percent of felons had not committed crimes because they feared the prospective victims were armed. The Thune-Vitter amendment recognizes that competent, responsible, law-abiding Americans still deserve our trust and confidence when they cross state lines. Passing interstate Right-to-Carry legislation will help further reduce crime by deterring criminals, and -- most important of all -- will protect the right of honest Americans to protect themselves if deterrence fails.

The Thune-Vitter Amendment represents a giant step forward in the protection of the basic right to self-defense. Its passage will recognize that the rights of law-abiding Right-to-Carry permit holders should be respected, even when they travel outside their home state.

Gun control groups, including New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg's "Mayors Against Illegal Guns" are running ads trying to scare your lawmakers and the American people into opposing this crucial Right-to-Carry reform. It is critical that your U.S. Senators hear from you immediately.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=5063

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Senate To Vote On National Right-To-Carry

Careful...this could very well end up being the opposite of what it looks like. Someone like Pelosi could easily take umbrage and pass a national "Do not carry" bill, and since the national law supersedes state law, ALL states that have conceal-carry could end up having this liberal twit revoke citizens rights to carry a concealed weapon.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #3
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I wonder if states could decide themselves to recognize the right to carry of other states.

That would keep it out of the Feds hands all together.

Say if Texas were to say, on its own, We in Texas Recognize the right to carry laws of Oklahoma and Arkansas, I wonder how that would go over?
Old 07-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Senate rejects pro-gun measure on concealed weapon

WASHINGTON — Gun control proponents scored a rare victory as the Senate rejected the carrying of concealed weapons across state lines.

The 58-39 vote Wednesday defeated a measure giving people with concealed weapons permits the right to carry their firearms into other states that have similar gun laws. Sixty votes were needed to approve the provision, an amendment to a defense spending bill.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...s9ZyAD99JJRR00
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
I wonder if states could decide themselves to recognize the right to carry of other states.

Say if Texas were to say, on its own, We in Texas Recognize the right to carry laws of Oklahoma and Arkansas, I wonder how that would go over?
i agree. this is kinda stupid (especially out here in the old wild west).

so if im on my horse rounding up some of my cattle that wandered from the herd, i need to have my gps tell me when im getting close to the texas or arizona so i can go hang my gun on a cactus in the middle of the desert before i cross the desolate unmarked boundry?

then again... this says concealed weapons. cowboys wear their six shooters on their hip.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #6
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

In theory, it would be great if they passed this, except I doubt it will affect me one bit.

You know, since it's almost impossible to get a concealed-carry permit in California. And if you even mention that you own a gun, people will look at like you like you have two dicks.

I'm pretty sure that in a couple years, this state will make it illegal to even think about guns within 1,000 feet of a school, or a park, or a dog, or the air. All they have to do is name the law after some kid who got abducted by a pervert and no one in the legislature will dare vote against it.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post

They already do it! I have a PA concealed weapons permit and it is honored in several other states. I am looking for the reference I found online as I speak but have to go back to work. Soon as I find it I will post it.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
Fire Haley
Banned

US State Pages & Reciprocity Maps

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
Old 07-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,458 Times in 1,672 Posts

Shot down in a blaze of glory. Didn't even get voted on.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #10
Fire Haley
Banned

The 58-39 vote Wednesday...

2 votes short of the 60 needed to adopt the amendment under Senate rules

Voting against the amendment were Democrats Daniel Akaka (D-HI), Jeff Bingaman (D-NM), Barbara Boxer (D-CA), Sherrod Brown (D-OH), Roland Burris (D-IL), Maria Cantwell (D-WA), Ben Cardin (D-MD), Thomas Carper (D-DE), Christopher Dodd (D-CT), Richard Durbin (D-IL), Dianne Feinstein (D-CA), Al Franken (D-MN), Kristen Gillibrand (D-NY), Tom Harkin (D-IA), Daniel Inouye (D-HI), Edward Kaufman (D-DE), John Kerry (D-MA), Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), Herb Kohl (D-WI), Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ), Patrick Leahy (D-VT), Carl Levin (D-MI), McCaskill (D-MO), Robert Menendez (D-NJ), Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Patty Murray (D-WA), Bill Nelson (D-FL), Jack Reed (D-RI), Jay Rockefeller (D-WV), Charles Schumer (D-NY), Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH), Arlen Specter (D-PA), Debbie Stabenow (D-MI), Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) and Ron Wyden (D-OR) Independents Joe Lieberman (ID-CT) and Bernie Sanders (I-VT) and Republicans Richard Lugar (R-IN) and George Voinovich (R-OH).