Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
mmalone
Team Captain

Member Number: 13521
Default Offseason spotlight: What are the obstacles for Steelers to repeat?

Good Article.. see link....

First Obstacle for the #20 scoring offense.. Nice pic of Arians see link....

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...s&confirm=true

Woodson: Difficult to repeat

The most difficult thing for the Steelers in 2009 is the realization that everything has to go perfect in order to repeat what happened in 2008.

When you go back to how dominant the Steelers were on defense last season, can they repeat that? Even if the defense drops off a little bit, that means the offense is under that much more pressure. Is the offensive line going to improve, and not let Ben Roethlisberger get hit and sacked so often? Eventually he's going to get run down and injured. Lastly, can the Steelers prove they can run the football? Will they be a solid running team down the stretch like they have been in the past?

The Steelers won the Super Bowl, so really it's difficult to criticize them. But can they repeat the same path they took last year and win again? I don't think they can.

Things have to improve on the offensive line and their rushing attack has to be more producitve. If the defense can stay somewhere close to what it was last season, because they were dominant, I think they'll be OK. The other things have to improve, though.

It's difficult to repeat in this league. To think that you're going to do the same thing the next season, the same way, and win again, it's too tough to do.

Wilcots: Run game must improve

This question is often asked, but seldom answered with concrete candor -- which suggests that even a six-time Super Bowl champion has room for improvement.

If third year coach Mike Tomlin can convince his team that the party is long over, then the celebration will give way to a change in perspective, allowing a new Steelers team to get ready to compete for a title instead of simply defending one.

Restoring the running game may be the key to greater consistency on offense, and prove to be an elixer for often-sacked QB Ben Roethlisberger. Simply put, the Steelers offensive line is not the problem. The 49 sacks allowed in 2008 can be more attributed to Roethlisberger's bid to extend the play, and not the line's ability to pass protect.

The team's 23rd-ranked rushing attack had its lowest average in over a decade. To improve, Willie Parker must not only stay healthy, but must improve his reads and overall feel for the running game. If the Steelers are to reclaim their physical and productive running style then look for Rashard Mendenhall to become the explosive bruiser that made him a firt-round pick in the 2008 draft.

A run for a second consecutive Super Bowl title will require more balance on offense. If their aging defensive line can carry out Dick LeBeau's defense for another stellar season, then lookout NFL.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Offseason spotlight: What are the obstacles for Steelers to repeat?

stillers4me: Big Ben must get his head out of his ass.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
The Lakelander
Starter

Member Number: 1503

Great teams do repeat!

What are the obstacles?

Same as every team has entering a new season ...

1. Desire
2. Conditioning
3. Preperation
4. Injuries
5. Schedule
6. Fundamentals
7. Concentration
8. Execution
9. Coaching
10. The Refs

The Steelers control 8 of those elements ... the NFL controls two!

I like our chances!
The Lakelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
stillers4me: Big Ben must get his head out of his ass.
i was going to say he should keep his pants up lol

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:30 AM   #5
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,570 Times in 1,509 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I think our running game will improve Parker has been working out and trying to improve from last year. Mendenhall will be back with a chip on his shoulder along with the additon of summers. We can't do no worse then we done last year.