Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 07-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default So many QB's so little talent

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/...ut_brow_9.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Terry Pluto's Talkin ...

About the Browns ...

1. As training camp approaches, the Browns really are determined to give both quarterbacks a chance to win the job. The coaching staff believes a major key to the position is handling pressure, and they plan to put Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson under the most pressure possible, especially in practice. Over and over, the coaches have talked about the need for the QB to get the team lined up correctly, have control of the huddle, make the proper calls at the line of scrimmage and to make the proper adjustment when the first receiver is not open.

2. An executive from a rival AFC team told me: "The Browns are the only team in the North [Division] that doesn't have a big-time quarterback. Ben [Roethlisberger] has two Super Bowl rings. When Carson Palmer is healthy, he is one of the best. The kid in Baltimore [Joe Flacco] may end up being really good. If you're the Browns, you have to play those guys six times. And Baltimore and Pittsburgh also have great defenses."

3. More from the executive: "Derek Anderson can throw down field, but his touch on short passes isn't good. He will stretch the defense, but does he bring the intangibles that you want from the position? Quinn has those intangibles, but if we play him, we're putting eight guys [in the box] and daring him to throw down field. That takes away their running game, unless Brady can make the throws. I'm not sure who is the best bet for them."

4. The executive also said Browns fans should not "get bothered" about all the Jets' role players coming to town: "Eric [Mangini] wants his guys in there to help with the toughness and discipline. It makes sense. The problem is other than Shaun Rogers, they have no real impact players on defense. Actually, the one Cleveland player who scares us the most is [Joshua] Cribbs, because he is so good on special teams."

5. The Browns are looking at Cribbs as a receiver, and certainly a kickoff returner. But they have been talking about Jerome Harrison as a punt returner. They are expected to look at it in the preseason. They want to find ways to get Harrison the ball more. They also believe using Harrison as a punt returner can save physical wear on Cribbs if they use him more on offense. Have not heard anything about Cribbs on defense yet.

6. Getting it right: Last week, I wrote the Browns paid Donte Stallworth the roster bonus of $4.5 million the day before his accident because they were desperate for receivers. Turns out, they had to pay Stallworth the bonus, it was guaranteed as part of the contract. The only way to avoid it was to trade him -- and this spring, no teams were interested. Anderson, Rogers and Jamal Lewis also had contracts in which their roster bonuses for this season were basically guaranteed.

7. The Browns believe that nearly as important as finding the right QB is getting better play out of the receivers. They need Braylon Edwards to return to something approaching his Pro Bowl 2007 season and provide a big-play threat. If Edwards can do that, the Browns think Mike Furrey can help as a slot receiver. They consider receptions for first down a key stat, especially in third-down situations. In 2006, 54 of Furrey's 98 catches were for first downs. In 2007, it was 37-of-61. Last season, he played only nine games and caught 18 passes. They liked what they saw from the 32-year-old in minicamps.

8. It's too early to say much about rookie receivers Mohamed Massaquoi and Brian Robiskie. Like the QBs, the Browns want to see the rookie receivers under pressure and getting tackled. Robiskie had some excellent practices and some just so-so. Massaquoi had some good flashes. The Browns need at least one of these guys to become a viable player by the opener.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: So many QB's so little talent

All these Browns fans I know are talking 9-7, 10-6 and the playoffs.

Their team is a mess. They still have no idea who will be the quarterback. They still have two starting cornerbacks who are not consistent. No pass rush from anyone other than Shaun Rogers. Jamal Lewis is old and in decline, their next best RB is nothing but a scat back and not starting material.

The only reason the Browns were good in 2007 was some luck and a cakewalk schedule.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Their best chance for winning is Quinn. He's always been a gameday QB, and only so-so in practice, yet they repeatedly seem to be making all their QB decisions based on his practice performance.

The prognosis ain't good for the Brownies this year. The OL is overrated, their RB is old, they only have 1 real WR now, and he drops half the balls thrown his way, and Derrick Anderson is a joke. Defensively, they have several GOOD players, really nobody great with the exception of Rogers (and I like Eric Wright at CB). They have little depth. It's an average defense at best. They won't be able to stop most teams, and the offense will lack the ability to put up a lot of points, so it's going to be a LONG year for the Browns yet again.

I got 'em somewhere between 6-10 and, if they REALLY have a great season, 8-8.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

I actually think Anderson is better then Quinn. Hell I think Charlie Frye is better then Quinn. Speaking of which what happened to Frye?
Old 07-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,170 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
Speaking of which what happened to Frye?
Riding the pine in Oakland, last I heard.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

At least he is working.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

The Quinn hate is misplaced...did you see what happened to ND when he left? Dude carried that program on his shoulders...

I am neither a ND nor a Quinn fan, but I can recognize a good player when I see him. My question is how is the braintrust in Cleveland not making the same assessment?
Old 07-23-2009, 04:21 PM   #8
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
The Quinn hate is misplaced...did you see what happened to ND when he left? Dude carried that program on his shoulders...

I am neither a ND nor a Quinn fan, but I can recognize a good player when I see him. My question is how is the braintrust in Cleveland not making the same assessment?
It's something in the water.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:29 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I SO hope they trade Quinn to a horrible team, and Quinn makes the team a perennial playoff contender while the Browns sit in the cellar.

It would do my heart good.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
I SO hope they trade Quinn to a horrible team, and Quinn makes the team a perennial playoff contender while the Browns sit in the cellar.

It would do my heart good.
As long as it's not the Pats Rats or Bungles...

Seriously, if Quinn went to the Pats he'd tear it up for ten years. He's WAY more naturally talented than Brady, and that QB system up there is awesome.