Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-27-2009, 11:26 AM   #11
Ishkabibble
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 11437
Default Re: New England will Not make playoffs

Buffalo could be better this time around. Miami is still a pretty god team w/ Pennington and their defense. The Jets will start a rookie @ QB so we'll see but they'll likely suck. NE's defense should be improved, to be honest. Leigh Bodden, Shawn Springs and Darius Butler is a definite upgrade over Ellis Hobbs and fill-in-the-blank schmuck from last season. Vrabel's gone but they have a couple playmakers in Mayo and Adalius Thomas and a few young guys @ OLB. They'll likely try to "coach up" some of the kids so I imagine they'll see plenty of playing time.
We'll see if NE still has championship pedigree; been a few years since they won their last SB. Brady's still good, last I checked and, if he stays upright, I don't see how they're not gonna score a lot of points.
The Steelers should be the favorites in the AFC. Superior defense, more stability and fewer question marks.
Ishkabibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:31 AM   #12
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
Not to mention they still have a virtual cakewalk to the playoffs because of the division they play in. I seriously doubt Miami is going to duplicate last year's effort, and that's the Patriots' only real obstacle. The Bills look like they're still just average, and the Jets are going to suck ass. New England is going to win that division by default like they usually do, not to mention padding their overall record with an extra 5-6 wins.

Unless Moss tears his ACL this year. Which I won't explicitly root for since that'd be bad sportsmanship, but let's just say I wouldn't be sad.
I don't know that I agree, Miami isn't being run by schmucks anymore, its Bill Parcells down there now, and he is very good at putting talent on the field. He leaves the playcalling and scheme to other people, but talent wise, they are pretty good down there in Miami.

Buffalo, I agree is a total Choke, they start off fast almost every year, then fall apart, or is it they start off slow then have a good effort at the end of the year? Whichever it is they are very Inconsistant.

Jets...I hate the Jets so I don't care if they succeed or not. But they did Split with the Pats last year. Yes Brady is back in NE but I'm not sure they are deep on Defense, their Oline is the same one that allowed Brady to be crushed in the SB and get hurt week 1, their running game, with Taylor, not sure how that's going to work out. Moss is still there but if you attack Brady (which is what people are going to do all game long) you negate Moss's deep play ability. We'll see, They should make the playoffs, but will they?

They draw the NFC South and AFC South this year. Little tougher than last year's schedule for them. at Tampa, at Indy, at New O, at Houston, home vs Carolina, Tennessee, Atlanta, Jacksonville, plus Baltimore and Denver to finish out the #2 teams from the other AFC Divisions.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #13
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
I don't know that I agree, Miami isn't being run by schmucks anymore, its Bill Parcells down there now, and he is very good at putting talent on the field. He leaves the playcalling and scheme to other people, but talent wise, they are pretty good down there in Miami.
I dunno ... it's hard to say for me. Miami had a great season, but I can't shake the feeling that they were only pretty good, and overachieved because everything went perfectly last season. Kind of like a house of cards, where if even one of the key players doesn't have a standout year, the whole thing falls apart.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm uneasy about them. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go 11-5, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see them go 5-11.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #14
The_WARDen
Head Coach

Member Number: 7628

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodWoodsonwasprettycool View Post
:), that's all that really takes to make the big dance anymore. If you're in you have a chance at making it to the Super Bowl (if not winning it all). As long as you're able to catch a spark at the right time, you have a shot at winning it all.

Signed

the 2001 Pats
the 2003 Panthers
the 2005 Steelers
the 2007 Giants
the 2008 Cardinals

oh and hell, even the 2008 Steelers, I don't recall many people picking them to be Super Bowl champs outside of Steeler fans and a few others.
that's cause the Brady slobberers always pick the Cheatriots...so everyone else would always be a surprise.
After reading the idiotic threads over the past couple of weeks, I ask the question - "Who is worse...Steeler fans or Eagles fans?" Keep in mind that Eagle fans do not know what it's like to win a SB much less 6 and 2 this decade.
The_WARDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:46 PM   #15
Ishkabibble
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 11437

The cheating thing just sounds stupid after all this time. Everyone cheats in the NFL, everyone takes PED's in baseball and everyone on earth, to one extent or another, is a racist.
It's easier this way.
Ishkabibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:15 AM   #16
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
I dunno ... it's hard to say for me. Miami had a great season, but I can't shake the feeling that they were only pretty good, and overachieved because everything went perfectly last season. Kind of like a house of cards, where if even one of the key players doesn't have a standout year, the whole thing falls apart.

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm uneasy about them. I wouldn't be surprised to see them go 11-5, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see them go 5-11.
I'd agree if Parcells wasn't at the helm. I don't see them taking a huge step backwards. They do draw the 1st place schedule this year, which will make it a little tougher, but they have a lot of talent on that team. I expect them to compete and be in most of their games.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:15 PM   #17
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
I'd agree if Parcells wasn't at the helm. I don't see them taking a huge step backwards. They do draw the 1st place schedule this year, which will make it a little tougher, but they have a lot of talent on that team. I expect them to compete and be in most of their games.
True, if everyone stays intact, they ought to do well and at least compete for a playoff spot. They shouldn't be bad, but if Pennington misses time or even just gets a nagging injury-- which usually seems to be about a 50-50 proposition -- they can expect a looooong season. It's rare to see a season where as few obstacles come up as Miami faced last year, which is why I tend to think that a little adversity could mess up their delicately balanced plans pretty badly.
Old 07-31-2009, 03:44 PM   #18
HughC
Starter

Member Number: 8512

Ehh, I'm not buying this black-helicopters radio frequency conspiracy theory that T Bradshaw is convinced of. For starters if that was the case they'd have been going undefeated and winning the Super Bowl every year, and would have done far worse than eleven wins without that and their starting QB at their disposal last year.

As far as bets go, I do agree the Vegas odds are so low that without a doubt betting against the Pats is the way to go. But to bet against them making the playoffs? I better get some very favorable odds before I make that wager.

Their offense is better than it was when they won in 2003 and 2004, but their defense is nowhere as good as it was back then. What's the saying, offense sells tickets and defense wins championships? The media loves a high power offense; remember how they were tripping over themselves talking about how good the Broncos were after the first two or three games last year?

I have to agree with BlastFurnace, I think it is wishful thinking to say the Patriots won't make the playoffs. Still not as good as the Steelers, but I would say it is highly doubtful that they don't make the playoffs.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:05 PM   #19
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughC View Post
For starters if that was the case they'd have been going undefeated and winning the Super Bowl every year, and would have done far worse than eleven wins without that and their starting QB at their disposal last year.
Why? You're giving them a little too much credit I think...all I'M suggesting is that the cheating elevated an average unit to the level of an extraordinary unit. And "black helicopter" theories are usually based on crackpot nonsense...in the Pats case, there has been suspicion since the 2001 season, and NOT just from the shadier weirdo's in the NFL, but some credible teams. The destruction of all the evidence is the smoking gun to me...just as the in the case of the corrupt NBA officials, it proved to me, at least, that the corruption went so deep that there was no choice but to bury it. The ramifications were too far-flung for the NFL to ever deal with without leveling playoff and possibly even Super Bowl forfeits, and there is just no way that can ever happen...
Old 08-01-2009, 01:47 AM   #20
HughC
Starter

Member Number: 8512

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Why? You're giving them a little too much credit I think...all I'M suggesting is that the cheating elevated an average unit to the level of an extraordinary unit. And "black helicopter" theories are usually based on crackpot nonsense...in the Pats case, there has been suspicion since the 2001 season, and NOT just from the shadier weirdo's in the NFL, but some credible teams. The destruction of all the evidence is the smoking gun to me...just as the in the case of the corrupt NBA officials, it proved to me, at least, that the corruption went so deep that there was no choice but to bury it. The ramifications were too far-flung for the NFL to ever deal with without leveling playoff and possibly even Super Bowl forfeits, and there is just no way that can ever happen...
When it first happened I screamed till I had laryngitis. I just think there would have been a dropoff after they were caught (didn't happen in the rest of 2007) and certainly in 2008 (again it didn't happen; 11-5 with a backup QB.) Not saying it didn't help, I just don't see it making the difference that so many others here make it out to be.

As far as the NFL covering up, if that was the case then why did it even ever become public information at all? And as far as what was on the tapes, we all saw what Fox and Jay Glazer had from the mid-season stolen video; not really much different from what was shown at the Walsh hearing. Video or no video, if a team mixes up their signals they're fine; if they don't then they're probably not smart enough to win regardless.

I was probably a bit over the top with the black helicopeter reference but I still don't buy into this stealing radio frequencies theory that the original poster referred to. As far as I'm concerned right now it is impossible to prove or disprove, but again the fact they haven't fallen from playoff contenders to the bottom of the pile the way other teams have when they were at or near the top - that tells me that it either didn't happen, or it had little or no effect.

I know I am in the minority in this debate, but in my opinion there are some Steeler fans that are guilty of having a double standard. For example when a Seahawk fan whines about the refs calls, we call him out on it. But when the Steelers lose or a rival wins, rather than man up and say good job there seems to a lot of whining which I personally find embarassing: the refs were paid off, the NFL hates us, the networks wants a bigger market team win, Goodell likes another owner, the media loves fill-in-the-blank, etc. Sorry, but I find the whining and excuse making distasteful.

On a side note, to this day I still do not understand why the media made so little of a deal with the NBA ref betting on games. To me that was a much bigger story, and it simply got buried.