Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 07-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers short yardage man could be Frank Summers

[(Admins -FYI I keep getting a lot of database errors when I try an post and then I have to repeat the post. Yunis might want to check into it since it could indicate that there could be a problem. PM me for more details. - mesa)

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...-Frank-Summers

B]Steelers short yardage man could be Frank Summers[/B]
July 24, 11:07 PM

It wasn't long ago that Dan Kreider was key player in the Steeler offensive scheme.

A true blue collar athlete, Kreider, a fullback, loved nothing more than smash-mouth football and clearing the rushing lanes for Jerome Bettis and Willie Parker. He played the game with a linebackers mentality.

The Steelers may have found the next Kreider and then some in rookie Frank Summers. Frank Summers

Although Summers, who was drafted by the team in the fifth round is listed as a running back on the roster, he is a bruiser at 241 pounds, and could do some damage clearing the running lanes.

Currently Carey Davis is the only fullback listed on the roster heading into to Training Camp, which begins next week.

Summers wont touch the ball like a Willie Parker, Rashard Mendenhall or Mewelde Moore does, but he brings a unique aspect to the offense that can wreak havoc on an opposing defense, one that has not been seen in Pittsburgh since the days of Jerome Bettis.

"This is a guy, when he’s on the field, what package are you going to put out there, defensively?," Steeler running backs coach Kirby Wilson said. " Are you going to count him as a fullback? Are we in two-back? Or are you going to count him as just a halfback – do we have two halfbacks in the ball game?"

Summers reminds many of a LenDale White type of player, big and stocky, a guy who is capable of getting it into the endzone anytime he touches the ball near the goaline.

Meaning with Gary Russell gone, Summers could become the new short yardage back.

In two seasons at UNLV, Summers rushed for 1,668 yards and had 14 rushing touchdowns. He also caught 36 passes for 402 yards and six touchdowns.

"Whatever the team needs me to do I think I’m able to do it," Summers said. " Whether it’s blocking for someone behind me to get into the end zone or to carry it in myself or receiving it out of the backfield myself. As well as playing special teams – I’m very passionate about the game and I just love the contact and I love to win. I’ll do whatever it takes to win."

Steelers Notebook:

My good friend Mike Bires was one of the few Steeler beat guys at the South Side Practice Facility when Ben Roethlisberger issued his statement about allegations against him yesterday afernoon.

Unlike most of the TMZ style journalism garbage being written or talked about in this situation, Bires wrote one of the better pieces and it is well worth a read.

He called his column Surreal World, Pittsburgh. It's well worth the read. (I will post Surreal World in the Ben sued thread. - mesa)

*Also for another great take on the situation,WPXI has a story where a woman who deals in body language analyzed the tape and said Roethlisberger is not lying.

*Finally, Make sure to check out these Pittsburgh Sports Examiners. All have regular beats with the team or specialty they cover and each bring with them to the table many years of experience covering their topics.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931
Default Re: Steelers short yardage man could be Frank Summers

I wonder what a backfield with Parker, Mendenhall, and Moore in the same play would look like?
AllD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllD View Post
I wonder what a backfield with Parker, Mendenhall, and Moore in the same play would look like?
Touchdown Steelers!!!!
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

Really hope Summers works out I like his versatility.
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:13 PM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,288 Times in 470 Posts

Quote:
Summers reminds many of a LenDale White type of player....
Hope not - not interested in a loudmouthed, showboating fatass who coughs up the ball in the red zone during playoff games....
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,161 Times in 1,473 Posts

I still dont think Summers is gonna dress that often in a crowded backfield. He essentially replaces Gary Russell as the #4 RB and will only dress if he shows he can take the roster spot of Carey Davis (please, please do) by blocking and playing special teams.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:23 AM   #7
onefortheotherhand
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13520

lol watch frank the tank become the next great steelers running back...
Old 07-26-2009, 12:29 AM   #8
Gnutella
Head Coach

Member Number: 13861
Thanked 2,390 Times in 875 Posts
My Mood: Bitchy

I want Frank Summers to replace Carey Davis at the very least. He might even get positive yardage out of screen passes.
Gnutella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:36 AM   #9
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

THIS is what i'd like to see out of him. A bone crushing fullback. I dont know why so many people are in panic mode about us not having (supposedly) a beloved powerback. We got Mendy for that. Summers would look good sharing a few carries, but someone's got to do the dirty work. Doesn't anyone miss having a Dan Kreider type of FB?
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 02:13 AM   #10
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Summers reminds many of a LenDale White type of playe
that comment made me sick. i hope summers is nothing like white at all. a stiff breeze will knock the gelatinous white over
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote