Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 07-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Tomlin: Steelers will deal with distractions

Tomlin: Steelers will deal with distractions
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...s_635342.html#
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, July 26, 2009

Mike Tomlin has said he will not use the term "repeat" when it comes to the Steelers' quest for another Super Bowl title.

That does not mean the Steelers coach won't acknowledge the increased scrutiny and demands the Steelers will face this season because they are the reigning champions.

"My mentality in regard to distractions is changing, and that's probably how I'm growing into the job," Tomlin said. "If you're going to be good, distractions are a part of it. I'm more concerned about embracing that and dealing with it and performing in the midst of it as opposed to being resistant to it."

Tomlin took the same approach in the week leading up to Super Bowl XLIII. He told his players to appreciate all that comes with playing in one of the biggest showcases in sports, including the daily sessions with the media.

He apparently will adhere to a similar philosophy when it comes to the upcoming season.

"We've got a desire to be consistently good, a world-championship caliber team," Tomlin said. "You've got to acknowledge some attention, some potential distractions. I'm not running away from that. I want to make sure we're very good at dealing with that and staying singularly focused on what's important."

Tomlin said the Steelers have to stay focused on improving and that includes him.

"I better get better, and getting better doesn't necessarily always mean a better outcome," said Tomlin, who won a Super Bowl at age 36, making him the youngest coach to accomplish that feat. "I understand that. I'm always trying to be the best I can be. I'm as critical of myself as anyone. I think that's appropriate from a leadership standpoint. Hopefully I'll do a cleaner, more efficient job of (coaching) in '09."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:40 AM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Tomlin: Steelers will deal with distractions

We have the right coach at the right time.

I like how Tomlin holds himself accountable. He is every bit a part of that team and it's success and failure as each player is.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I just keep being amazed how the Rooney's keep pulling rabbits out of their hat... especially with the coaching staff.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

I have a much better feeling about this season than I do about what happened in '06. All distractions aside that season, Cowher had pretty much called it in before the season began and was just a figure on the sidelines. Even despite the obvious distractions they'll be facing this season, I have no doubts they'll make the playoffs...a repeat is questionable, but if they stay focused enough, it's certainly not out of the question.

GO STEELERS!!!
Old 07-26-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
WWP
Water Boy

Member Number: 13416

Only two years into the league, Tomlin has the confidence and the drive that exceeds the level of most coaches in the NFL. This guy is focused, and we're in good hands. With Tomlin, an amazing defense, and Ben with even more confidence to lead a very good offense, we have a great chance to repeat.
WWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:05 AM   #6
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMom View Post
I have a much better feeling about this season than I do about what happened in '06. All distractions aside that season, Cowher had pretty much called it in before the season began and was just a figure on the sidelines. Even despite the obvious distractions they'll be facing this season, I have no doubts they'll make the playoffs...a repeat is questionable, but if they stay focused enough, it's certainly not out of the question.
Yeah, I kind of feel the same way. After last time, we lost one of the best RBs in the history of the game. This time, we lost Nate Washington. Last time, our quarterback was almost killed. This time, some crazy chick is out to get him. Not to mention the coach is still fired up this year. We're in a lot better position, that's for sure.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:14 AM   #7
Psyychoward86
Living Legend

Member Number: 10772

Git 'er done Tomlin. The guy's like an angel on our shoulders.
Psyychoward86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:25 AM   #8
JackHammer
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 5640

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
Yeah, I kind of feel the same way. After last time, we lost one of the best RBs in the history of the game. This time, we lost Nate Washington. Last time, our quarterback was almost killed. This time, some crazy chick is out to get him. Not to mention the coach is still fired up this year. We're in a lot better position, that's for sure.

Plus the people we've added and/or are getting back. Sepulveda is a sure improvement at punter. Mendenhall , while unproven, has tons of potential and will help carry the load throughout the season. Timmons will be starting instead of Foote. Ziggy Hood will not only add depth on the D-line, he'll be able to spell the vets and also be our fourth down-lineman when we need it. Because of some minor free agent moves and our draft picks, we now have a lot of positions that will be EXTREMELY competitive at camp.

WR, RB/FB, O-line, CB, and also special teams(since a few of the position players we drafted are also ST standouts) will all have great battles at one depth level or another. These battles will push the guys who are behind AND the guys who are ahead in the depth chart. In turn, this years training camps will be one of the most competitive Steelers camps in recent history. That's exactly what we need to keep the Champs from getting complacent, and it's something that we didn't have in 06.
JackHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:09 AM   #9
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHammer View Post
WR, RB/FB, O-line, CB, and also special teams(since a few of the position players we drafted are also ST standouts) will all have great battles at one depth level or another. These battles will push the guys who are behind AND the guys who are ahead in the depth chart. In turn, this years training camps will be one of the most competitive Steelers camps in recent history. That's exactly what we need to keep the Champs from getting complacent, and it's something that we didn't have in 06.
Yup, that's pretty dead-on. I did NOT get this same feeling in 2006. Then, it was like we just barely had what it took to get over the hump and win the Super Bowl, and whatever we put together the next year was going to be some luck-based concoction that may or may not have been as good. Kind of like one of those random league-mandated Super Bowl winners like the Ravens or the Bucs.

This year, it's like we won the Super Bowl because we knew exactly what we were doing, and we're coming back like a cold, calculating machine. We weren't drafting and signing free agents to fill an urgent need; we've got the luxury of having guys come in and if they contribute, that's great, and if not, we might not even need them. Worlds apart. I will be very surprised if this team does not win another Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:44 AM   #10
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,583 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

We are lucky to have a man like Tomlin. He knows how to pull everyone together. He also knows how to play hard nose football.