Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Training Camp

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-29-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Steelers Training Camp: Lawrence Timmons could step up in a Derrick Brooks way

Steelers Training Camp: Lawrence Timmons could step up in a Derrick Brooks way
July 29, 12:25 AM
Pittsburgh Sports Examiner

When it comes to finding the next great linebacker for the Steelers, the way things have gone for the organization over the years, the security guard in the Press Box might have a chance.

OK, that's stretching it, but its hard to deny that the marquee position for the team is the linebacker slot.

Jack Ham and Jack Lambert are in the Professional football Hall of Fame, and 51 players including current Steelers James Harrison and James Farrior, along with Greg Lloyd, Kevin Green, Robin Cole and Joey Porter have made the Pro Bowl since its inception.

The reason?

"It takes everybody on that field. Ö But the athletes we've got at the linebacker position enable us to do a lot of the things," Farrior said."We're able to cover, we're able to blitz and we're able to play the run."

Could Lawrence Timmons be next great one?

Timmons showed signs of brilliance last year and one can hope he continues where he left off. In 2008 he played in every game, collecting 65 tackles, including 43 solos, 5 sacks and 1 interception. In Dick LeBeau's scheme, if Timmons continues to progress, fans will soon forget Larry Foote, whose place he takes when camp begins on Saturday.

When the Steelers drafted Timmons, he was just the third linebacker drafted by the Steelers in the first round in franchise history. Following the selection head coach Mike Tomlin had this to say.

"He has some Derrick Brooks qualities," Tomlin said, to the Pro Bowl linebacker."You don't necessarily want to put that on anyone because Brooks is a legendary player, but he runs around and strikes people. He is relentless and he loves the game."

Timmons found time to update his website prior to camp, and you have to love his attitude. He talked about being humble and the camaraderie that is made during the stay in Latrobe.

" Itís time to build that camaraderie, get ready to do our thing for the season," Timmons said. " A lot of people think two-a-days is just grinding, but thereís also some time where guys hang out and get to know each other better.

Two-a-days are like going out in the wilderness with your family. You end up being closer teammates because of it. Itís hard but thereís also a lot of messing around, like guys going to the movies together when you finally get a day off. Itís not like that during the season, each guy has his own life and go their separate ways on days off."

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...ick-Brooks-way
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts
Default Re: Steelers Training Camp: Lawrence Timmons could step up in a Derrick Brooks way

Even his draft year Timmons was compared to Brooks a lot as a prototypical WILL Linebacker. The problem is the Steelers dont run a 4-3 defense, so its not as easy a comparison to make.

As much as I dislike Chris Collinsworth....he said in Timmons rookie year that Steeler fans are gonna love this kid and the way he flys around the field.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172
Default Re: Steelers Training Camp: Lawrence Timmons could step up in a Derrick Brooks way

I think a lot of steelers fan have been waiting to see what he can do. I hope he has a monster year

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

Timmons Woodley and Harrison coming at ya what do ya do??
Old 07-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #5
Kvnfaber
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6695

I almost can't contain my excitement with Farrior's experience/intelligence leading the 3 playmakers in Harrison/Woodley/Timmons. Every time I think of Timmons, the play when he ran down Sproles in the open field and tackled him from behind comes to mind. Like a Lion mowing down a gazelle :-P
Old 07-29-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,017 Times in 407 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeiselPower99 View Post
Timmons Woodley and Harrison coming at ya what do ya do??
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:55 AM   #7
STEELtownHAVOX
Starter

Member Number: 6464

I'm excited for our LB corps, especially for LT3 to filll in as a starter. I have high hopes for this guy. He's fast, strong, and elusive...Yepp can't wait for the season to kick off...shoot give me some preseason games.
STEELtownHAVOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #8
msafford
Starter

Location: Perrysburg, OH (grew up in Lisbon, OH- 50 miles from Pittsburgh)
Member Number: 2447

I'm watching the America's Game with the 2002 Bucaneers, and with all the clips of Derrick Brooks tearin' it up, I just think of Tomlin's comparison of Timmons to Brooks, and I can't help but get crazy excited for the season to get here.