Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 07-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927
Default Conyers Sees No Point in Members Reading 1,000-Page Health Care Bill

Yeah, why would anyone read a bill before voting for it? It's a lot like work.

Then he goes on to mock those that would read the bill.

2010, people. This is beyond bull@#$%.

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/conten...51610&print=on

CNSNews.com
Conyers Sees No Point in Members Reading 1,000-Page Health Care Bill--Unless They Have 2 Lawyers to Interpret It for Them
Monday, July 27, 2009
By Nicholas Ballasy, Video Reporter

(CNSNews.com) - During his speech at a National Press Club luncheon, House Judiciary Chairman John Conyers (D-Mich.), questioned the point of lawmakers reading the health care bill.

“I love these members, they get up and say, ‘Read the bill,’” said Conyers.

“What good is reading the bill if it’s a thousand pages and you don’t have two days and two lawyers to find out what it means after you read the bill?”

http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/checker.aspx?v=GduzuzqGqG

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222
Default Re: Conyers Sees No Point in Members Reading 1,000-Page Health Care Bill

It seems to be status quo for the way policy is made these days. They didn't read the Stimulus Package bill, either. After all, how can we expect the poor little lawmakers to actually do any work after they are elected to represent us...

This country is truly screwed
Old 07-29-2009, 08:53 AM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Conyers Sees No Point in Members Reading 1,000-Page Health Care Bill

You can bet all the Senators read it...

I actually, to a point, understand what he is saying. These guys need huge staff's to deal with all the shit that crosses their desk...no one person could even possibly read all these bills before they voted. Howvere, this is a pretty big one, so he might have spent at least a LITTLE time on it, I'd say...
Old 07-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

They wrote it up and dont know whats in it?? Congrats buddy your term is over next year.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
Indo
Head Coach

Member Number: 11222

Maybe I need to start a new business

Cliff Notes for Congressmen
Old 07-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #6
7SteelGal43
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12283

Almost 100 congressmen, 8 of them being Senators have actually signed a pact to read this bill before voting on it. Every one of them are Republican.

sig by steelax04
7SteelGal43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #7
SteelersinCA
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 9302

Obama also blasted Bush in 2004 for pushing through legislation no one had a chance to read.
SteelersinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:34 AM   #8
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

I think I read before that Congress votes on something like a million pages of legislation per year. It's physically impossible to read it all. It's physically impossible for any lawyer to know it all. This is why they have all kinds of committees and subcommittees who are SUPPOSED to do that, anyway, and give the executive summary to the general members. And why the law profession is becoming more and more specialized.

Not that I think this is the best way to run things -- keeping the laws to a reasonable length would be more like it -- but that's the way things have gotten now that we've decided to essentially eliminate any human decision-making from applying the rules. If you passed a simple law like "no stealing," suddenly there would be 50,000 lawsuits forcing you to clarify what it meant, because no aspect of it should ever be left up to individual judgment, because that might not be FAIR. Especially to women and minorities. But that's the way we do things now, I guess. Sucks.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
I think I read before that Congress votes on something like a million pages of legislation per year. It's physically impossible to read it all. It's physically impossible for any lawyer to know it all. This is why they have all kinds of committees and subcommittees who are SUPPOSED to do that, anyway, and give the executive summary to the general members. And why the law profession is becoming more and more specialized.

Not that I think this is the best way to run things -- keeping the laws to a reasonable length would be more like it -- but that's the way things have gotten now that we've decided to essentially eliminate any human decision-making from applying the rules. If you passed a simple law like "no stealing," suddenly there would be 50,000 lawsuits forcing you to clarify what it meant, because no aspect of it should ever be left up to individual judgment, because that might not be FAIR. Especially to women and minorities. But that's the way we do things now, I guess. Sucks.
I see where you're coming from, but hell, they could at least read the ones that will potentially affect every American in a profound way.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
I see where you're coming from, but hell, they could at least read the ones that will potentially affect every American in a profound way.
I'd prefer it if they did too. But this is basically just the result of a system that's become completely unmanageable. It's no wonder the laws that come of it get steadily worse and worse when if you're a lawmaker, it's all you can do to keep your head above water.