Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 08-01-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
Crow-Magnon
Team Captain

Member Number: 9500
Default It Won't Be Long Now.......

Training Camps are open, so it won't be long until we're knee-deep in AFCN action!

Good luck to you guys this season. I have high hopes for the Ravens and am anxious to see if Flacco makes a great progression into his sophomore year (especially without Mason) and to see how well Oher plays as a rookie OL. I also want to see if Kelly Gregg and Michael Yanda can still play at a high level after crippling injuries last season, and will the Ravens kick themselves late in the season without Stover there to put a game-winning FG through the uprights at crunch time.

What player(s) on the Steelers are you most anxious to see taking snaps come Day One?
Crow-Magnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts
Default Re: It Won't Be Long Now.......

I say it's going to be a closer division this year - we all have much easier schedules.

Who knows - this could be the year we don't go 6-0 in the AFCN....shocking, I know.

Sweed and Mendenhall and Timmons - that's who I'll be watching.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
Crow-Magnon
Team Captain

Member Number: 9500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
I say it's going to be a closer division this year - we all have much easier schedules.

Who knows - this could be the year we don't go 6-0 in the AFCN....shocking, I know.

Sweed and Mendenhall and Timmons - that's who I'll be watching.
How's Mendenhall looking so far? If not for injury, he looked like he would have had a great season last year.

Sweed deserves a closer look, that's for sure.
Crow-Magnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Today is the first practice - we don't know anything yet.

Staying healthy - that's all I really care about.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #5
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
Training Camps are open, so it won't be long until we're knee-deep in AFCN action!

Good luck to you guys this season. I have high hopes for the Ravens and am anxious to see if Flacco makes a great progression into his sophomore year (especially without Mason) and to see how well Oher plays as a rookie OL. I also want to see if Kelly Gregg and Michael Yanda can still play at a high level after crippling injuries last season, and will the Ravens kick themselves late in the season without Stover there to put a game-winning FG through the uprights at crunch time.

What player(s) on the Steelers are you most anxious to see taking snaps come Day One?
I can't wait for the season to start! These last couple of weeks before pre-season and the last month until regular season always drag the most for me.

Best of luck to you guys this year too. What's up with the WR situation? Have they found a replacement for Mason/Bennett yet?

The guys I'll be watching most this year will be Sweed, Mendy and Holmes. I'm hoping Holmes has a big year this year and doesn't let winning last year go to his head too much. He needs to have a big, big year in the regular season IMO. Hopefully Ward will be able to help keep his head on straight, and Sweed as well.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,121 Times in 1,052 Posts

The more that I think of the Ravens pick of Oher, the more I think its their intention to try and have guys with LT skill play both OT's and reduce the rush of Harrison and Woodley.

Its an interesting possible plan, because Oher isnt that great of a run blocker and it may signal a shift away from the running game to McLain, McGahee and Rice.......time will tell.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #7
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

I agree about watching Holmes closely. Of all the players on the team, he is the one with the potential to have a swelled head because of the playoffs last year. He needs 16 games of the same thing for us to have a great year. Of course, my eyes are on Frank Summers mainly because I am a UNLV alumni and few players ever become stars out of here. It would be great if he turned out to be the next bruising RB/FB in the Steeler tradition. Heaven knows, there is no one else here who fills that role. Plus I hope Urbik ends up being a beast and unseats Stapleton.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post

Thanks for the well wishes, Crow. Good to see you back around!

Hold your horses. It is reported that Mason has changed his mind about hanging 'em up, which bodes well for Flacco for sure.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/08/01/maso...ed-retirement/

Mason opts to return after short-lived retirement

Less than a month after surprisingly announcing his retirement, Derrick Mason is making a comeback with the Baltimore Ravens. The veteran receiver will send a letter to the NFL stating his intention to return to the league and is expected to join the Ravens on the field Sunday.

“I needed to evaluate my life, football and my career,” Mason said in a release. “The last several weeks thinking about it and talking with my family was an important time for me and them.”

“I still have an intense fire inside me, and I want to play. My family and I wanted to finish it out the right way. I felt like I had left something undone, and I wanted to finish it.”

When Mason decided to walk away on July 13th, it left the Ravens with Mark Clayton and Demetrius Williams as their most accomplished receivers. Baltimore eventually signed Drew Bennett to a one-year contract, but he retired two days later because he aggravated an old knee injury during his initial tryout.

Mason led Baltimore in catches (80) and receiving yards (1,037) in 2008. As he enters his 13th season in the league, including his fifth with the Ravens, he has 790 receptions for 10,061 yards and 52 touchdowns.

“I think I’m in great shape,” Mason said. “I have been working out, and I was part of the offseason program. I’m ready to get out there with my teammates.”

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #9
mmalone
Team Captain

Member Number: 13521

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
I agree about watching Holmes closely. Of all the players on the team, he is the one with the potential to have a swelled head because of the playoffs last year. He needs 16 games of the same thing for us to have a great year. Of course, my eyes are on Frank Summers mainly because I am a UNLV alumni and few players ever become stars out of here. It would be great if he turned out to be the next bruising RB/FB in the Steeler tradition. Heaven knows, there is no one else here who fills that role. Plus I hope Urbik ends up being a beast and unseats Stapleton.
the first three pre season games, hopefully he plays a good amount, so evryone gets a good look at him. they will know pretty quick if he has the tools, i think he does too. looking forward to seeing parker/summers mendy/summers in those short situations. if it works it will give ben that option and ward and miller will kill em in the secondary off the play action...
Old 08-01-2009, 02:18 PM   #10
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

What's up Crow? Glad to see you found your way back!

I am most interested in Timmons, Sweed, and Mendenhall.

Looks like Mason is back for you guys. I think he retires after this season, he just in the end couldn't let that $4M sitting on the table.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote