Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Blast Furnace

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-02-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Still wondering why the Bengals suck?

Lewis gave the media a bit of news when he said there was no news on the Andre Smith negotiations.

"It's not a holdout," Lewis said. "He's an unsigned player. He can't be here at practice by NFL law. So really he's not a holdout. He's barred from being here, right?"

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...b-56af57334185

I think this is referred to as "BUNGAL LOGIC". Please tell me this guy never really was in Pittsburgh...............
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #2
devilsdancefloor
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 10172
Default Re: Still wondering why the Bengals suck?

sad to say it , but he was, BUT the years of being around mike brown have made mush of his brains

I believe that today more than ever a book should be sought after even if it has only one great page in it. We must search for fragments, splinters, toenails, anything that has ore in it, anything that is capable of resuscitating the body and the soul.

devilsdancefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Some organizations do it right. Those organizations win because they do everything right.

Then there are organizations like the Bengals...the fact that this team ALMOST won a couple titles has GOT to be purely accidental.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
SteelCityMom

Member Number:

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Some organizations do it right. Those organizations win because they do everything right.

Then there are organizations like the Bengals...the fact that this team ALMOST won a couple titles has GOT to be purely accidental.
Just remember though, the only time the Bengals almost won Superbowls is when they had Lebeau as a DC.

Kind of crazy that since the Steelers won the SB in '80, they have not made it back there or won it w/o Lebeau as a DC.

I still hate the Bengals though, their organization can never and will never compare to the Steelers. At least they're better than the Browns I guess.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
Lewis gave the media a bit of news when he said there was no news on the Andre Smith negotiations.

"It's not a holdout," Lewis said. "He's an unsigned player. He can't be here at practice by NFL law. So really he's not a holdout. He's barred from being here, right?"

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...b-56af57334185

I think this is referred to as "BUNGAL LOGIC". Please tell me this guy never really was in Pittsburgh...............
What's the problem? It's not really a hold out in the typical sense of the word, his agent and the front office just haven't agreed to a deal yet. Smith already said earlier that he would be at training camp regardless if it were allowed and he's having coaches take notes on practice and send them to him. Hardly a hold out, just typical agent-front office hold ups.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

His agent and the team had several months to work out a deal...getting into camp is the benchmark that separates semantics like "we haven't worked out a deal yet" and the actual act of holding out...which is EXACTLY what this is...he's holding out for a better deal, and extending this into camp is supposed to light a fire under the Bengals.

Really, the lengths you guys go to trying to find new and inventive ways to polish up the turd that is the entire Bengals organization continually amazes.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #7
CantStop85
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
His agent and the team had several months to work out a deal...getting into camp is the benchmark that separates semantics like "we haven't worked out a deal yet" and the actual act of holding out...which is EXACTLY what this is...he's holding out for a better deal, and extending this into camp is supposed to light a fire under the Bengals.

Really, the lengths you guys go to trying to find new and inventive ways to polish up the turd that is the entire Bengals organization continually amazes.
C'mon Suit you're smart enough to know how the NFL works. Almost half of the first rounders still haven't been signed. Each team is waiting until every other team around them has made a deal so they can be slotted. The process becomes especially long when you're dealing with top 10 picks that command ludicrous amounts of guaranteed money.

It's not like the drafted player has much say in the whole deal; they leave it up to their agents to try to bargain out a deal with the organization so they can play. The phrase "hold-out" is kind of misleading because it's not the same as a player who already has a contract who refuses to come to camp until they get more money (i.e. Josh Cribbs) or a player who's been drafted and threatens to sit out the entire season and re-enter the draft. It's business as usual; happens every year...the player isn't disgruntled or refusing to come to camp, they just aren't allowed because they haven't yet signed. If it were out of choice, these same players would have refused to come to voluntaries. Hence why Marvin Lewis made the statement and why he and every other NFL employee knows more about the NFL than anyone on this board (including myself) probably ever will.
Old 08-02-2009, 10:47 PM   #8
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Bottom line is the Steelers signed their first round pick before the training camp started and manage to do it year in and year out. The Bungles organization sucks.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 03:18 AM   #9
CantStop85
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteelersfan View Post
Bottom line is the Steelers signed their first round pick before the training camp started and manage to do it year in and year out. The Bungles organization sucks.
Yeah, they've also only had one top 10 pick (Plaxico Burress) since 1989, which makes it just a tad easier. Anyway, I'm not exactly sure what we're even debating anymore so while we're off-topic here's a bit of Steelers trivia:

Did you know the Steelers' inaugural first round draft pick was named William Shakespeare? Honest.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

I say tomato, you say rutabaga...

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/arti...-rookie-season

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/footb...holdouts_x.htm

Bottom line? A hold out is a hold out is hold out...playing word games changes nothing.