Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Training Camp

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Tomlin still holding Ward out of Steelers’ work

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
Tomlin still holding Ward out of Steelers’ work

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer 12 minutes ago

LATROBE, Pa. (AP)—Hines Ward(notes) didn’t appear at the Pittsburgh Steelers’ afternoon practice until he started running sprints with Willie Parker(notes) midway through the 2-hour workout.

Four days into camp, Ward has practiced once. He said Tuesday he’s not injured, although he had offseason shoulder surgery.

Ward said, he’s taking CTO—coach’s time off.

Coach Mike Tomlin is giving several experienced Steelers considerable rest early in camp following the team’s Super Bowl run, including safety Troy Polamalu(notes) and Ward. Polamalu reported to camp with a sore hamstring.

“I can’t knock what coach Tomlin is doing,” Ward said. “He’s a proven coach, he’s won the Super Bowl. Yeah, it looks a little strange, me not out there and people wondering, but it’s his team.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Tomlin still holding Ward out of Steelers’ work

I'm certain Coach T knows exactly what he is doing by resting a couple of his big guns before he works their tushes off the remainder of camp.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
AllD
Team Owner

Member Number: 11931

Like Hines is complaining....They need the rest and Tomlin is scoring huge points early with the vets. Prediction: Tomlin will be the second most beloved coach in Steelers history.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
Nighthawk
Starter

Member Number: 11264

I like what Tomlin is doing, he seems to be in full control of how to run things now (if there was any doubt). He'll have the vets go full throttle when it is needed but there is no point in risking injury to these guys early on... great coaching on his part...
Nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620

Way to go coach. I love the way Tomlin does things. Let the rookies get some time while the veterans, who already know what they need to do, get some much needed rest. We need Troy and Hines late in the season. No reason to wear them out now.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:00 AM   #6
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

NFL from the sidelines

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop.

Tuesday, August 04, 2009
What's up with Ward

Head coach Mike Tomlin is saying that there's nothing wrong with Hines Ward. Ward is saying the head coach wants him to sit out practices to take a good look at the young guys fighting for roster spots.

But the fact remains that Ward has now sat out three days worth of practices at Saint Vincent College.

Ward also barely practiced this spring, suiting up for only the final week of OTAs after having offseason shoulder surgery.

The B.S. meter is going off on this one, but Ward does appear healthy, running and catching passes after practice, Maybe they are getting more looks at the young wideouts - particuarly Limas Sweed. Maybe they are force-feeding Sweed the playbook just in case Ward or Santonio Holmes miss any time this season.

There isn't, after all, a ton of depth behind the two starters.
Old 08-05-2009, 04:04 AM   #7
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,293 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Why not let these guys rest. They have been to several camps and know what to do. I would say they will all be ready when the time is right.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Ward says he is healthy
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...omthepressbox/
Posted August 4, 2009 8 :46 PM

Here are some notes from the fifth day of training camp ...

· Hines Ward did a little running with Santonio Holmes after the afternoon practice Tuesday and that was about the extent of his workout.

Ward did not practice again today, and for those keeping score at home, he has taken part in just one practice since training camp started.

Coach Mike Tomlin and Ward said nothing is physically wrong with the veteran wide receiver. But even Ward admitted, "Yeah it looks kind of strange me not being out there."

Actually, it makes all the sense in the world.

Ward doesn't need much work in training camp at this point of his career, and his absence provides more repetitions in practice for the players that are battling for spots behind him and Holmes.

Ward, who has been helping coach the wide receivers, said he doesn't know when Tomlin will have him start practicing again but indicated that it could be as early as Wednesday.

· His ability to make the kind of exaggerated cuts you see in video games earned Stefan Logan the nickname "Joystick" last season while he was tearing it up in the CFL.

It drew "oohs" and "aahs" from fans today at St. Vincent College as Logan showcased the kind of burst and shiftiness that may allow him to play his way onto the Steelers as a kickoff returner/receiver/running back.

"It's no secret that we were looking for some guys that had some return capabilities," Tomlin said. "He fits that bill but he's also shown us some other skills and really shown some surprising savvy as a receiver."

Logan is just 5-foot-6 and 180 pounds but he is already showing the kind of toughness he needs if he wants to stick with the Steelers. Put on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list last Friday because of a mid-foot sprain, Foster started practicing Monday.

"I'm going to get out here and run hard and try not to show the coaches that I'm hurt," said Logan, who hurt his foot when a weight fell on it while he was working out. "It's all about being physical and mentally tough and that's what I'm all about."

· So much for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger needing to get his throwing arm in shape. He looked terrific throwing the deep ball in practice Tuesday afternoon and connected with Holmes on an 85-yard touchdown pass.

"He was throwing darts out there," Ward said.

No. 3 quarterback Dennis Dixon looked much better after a couple of shaky practices. He showed nice touch and accuracy on several passes while running the two-minute drill.

· One of the quotes of camp belongs to the always quotable Ryan Clark.

The colorful free safety was asked about the T-shirt Ravens defensive end Terrell Suggs wore last week that said on the back, "You Beat Your Sweet (rhymes with sass) I Hate The Steelers."

Clark said the Steelers didn't want to get drawn into any back and forth sniping. But, he added, "They can wear their shirts. I guess while they wear their shirts, I'll wear my ring and we'll see which ones look nicer."

Zing!
Old 08-05-2009, 10:56 AM   #9
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Ryan Clark is a bad bad man. Haha great quote!