Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 08-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Cook: Jeff Reed among the top Steelers approaching free agency

Cook: Jeff Reed among the top Steelers approaching free agency
Tuesday, August 04, 2009
By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Any number of Super Bowl heroes can leave the Steelers as free agents after this season, including Willie Parker, Casey Hampton, Ryan Clark, Brett Keisel, Justin Hartwig and Willie Colon. With such a long and impressive list of key players, it's easy to forget about the kicker. Jeff Reed also is going into his contract year. Should he leave, he just might be missed more than anybody.

Think about it.

To say that Reed has kicked his way into the hearts of Steelers Nation would be a grand understatement. You could argue he is as good at his job as Ben Roethlisberger is at leading fourth-quarter comebacks, James Harrison is at sacking quarterbacks, Aaron Smith is at stuffing the run and crushing the pocket and Troy Polamalu is at making big plays all over the field. Because of his dependability, the Steelers are virtually guaranteed three points every time Big Ben gets the offense to the opponent's 30.

I want that guy on my team.

"I told coach [Mike] Tomlin and Kevin Colbert that I was going to hold out of camp," Reed deadpanned this week.

You know what's coming, right?

The kicker from the kicker.

"I'm crazy, but I'm not that crazy," Reed said, grinning.

Still, this is no laughing matter for Reed or any of the others in his situation. Every player likes the security of a long-term contract. Every player likes knowing where he will be next season.

"I want to be here, that's the big thing," Reed said. "This isn't the easiest place to kick, that's for sure. But the team wins. It's a classy organization. You go somewhere else, you don't know what you're going to get. I had a buddy go to New England and he told me it's crazy there. He said the players don't even hang out together. That's not the way it is here. I like it here."

Steelers management likes having Reed, too. Tomlin often has talked about how he doesn't have to watch him kick when he sends him out, so sure is he that Reed will make everything from 50 yards and in. It's nice to think the fact that the two sides have eyes for each other will be enough to get a deal done, although Steelers president Art Rooney II told the Post-Gazette's Gerry Dulac on Friday that the team is hard against the salary cap.

Reed has another reason for wanting to stay, one that goes beyond the two Super Bowls in the past four seasons. Rooney and Tomlin quietly supported him when he had his unfortunate incident in February.

You know, the early-morning incident when he beat the heck out of a paper towel dispenser in the Sheetz convenience store in New Alexandria.

"They were great about it." Reed said. "They just told me, 'You've done so much for this organization. Just be smart. Be careful out there. You're more of a public figure than you realize.' "

Reed should have known that before he walked into that Sheetz and became agitated when there were no towels in the men's room. He sounded naive when he said he was surprised the towel tirade received such media attention. Of course, it was going to be news. Around here, it's news when a Steeler belches, isn't it?

"Sheer stupidity on my part," Reed said. "But the way it came out was far worse than the way it happened. It was no different than shaking a vending machine when your chips get stuck. But they made it sound like I was on a drug or something."

For Reed, the worst part wasn't the $543.50 in a fine and court costs that he paid after pleading guilty to disorderly conduct and criminal mischief. It wasn't even his $10,000 fine from the NFL for violating its personal-conduct policy. No, the troubling part for Reed was having his name tied to something so embarrassing. And, yes, you bet he has an appreciation for what Roethlisberger is going through after being linked in a civil lawsuit to an alleged sexual assault case in Nevada.

"I don't want people to think I'm that kind of person," Reed said. "That's not the way I was raised and this organization doesn't tolerate it. It won't happen again."

I'm thinking Reed will make much more positive news once the season starts next month. He was good on 27 of his 31 field-goal tries last year and, since joining the Steelers in the 2002 season, has made 162 of 196, including eight game-winners, despite frequently kicking on a bad field in bad weather conditions. He has been even better in the postseason, making 14 consecutive tries, including five on the run to the Super Bowl last season.

Not bad for a guy who failed tryouts with six NFL clubs before finally finding a good home.

Not bad for the Steelers, either.

"Couldn't have worked out better for me," Reed said. "I just hope I can stay here a long time."

Here's hoping for the same thing.

Ron Cook can be reached at rcook@post-gazette.com. More articles by this author
First published on August 4, 2009 at 12:00 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09216...#ixzz0NMYzD5Ex
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:10 PM   #2
BigBenFn7
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13980
Default Re: Cook: Jeff Reed among the top Steelers approaching free agency

I'd certainly like to keep Reed around.
BigBenFn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

There's no way this team can afford to lose Mr. Clutch. Though it would be a bit out of the ordinary, I say franchise him.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
BigBenFn7
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13980

It might not be a bad idea. A kicker's probably one of the few guys you don't risk pissing off by slapping the franchise tag on them. Of course, that would make us a little like the Bengals who tagged Shayne Graham. Not sure I like the sound of that.
BigBenFn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
There's no way this team can afford to lose Mr. Clutch. Though it would be a bit out of the ordinary, I say franchise him.
Completely agree. Jeff is someone I would franchise in a heartbeat. We let one great kicker go 15 years ago. I don't want to see that happen again.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:31 AM   #6
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,323 Times in 1,411 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

You have got to think that Clark and Reed would be the next ones to be offered a contract. Reed is a good kicker and I would hate to see him go to another team.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:33 AM   #7
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Lurking

I think Reed will get a contract before the season starts.
pancake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:29 AM   #8
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119

I really hope we get his deal done, I don't care if the guy is just a kicker he is part of our core of players and very valuable to us.
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #9
J Dogg
Banned

Member Number: 13272

A guy who knows how to kick at Heinz Field is worth every dime he wants. He's the only guy coming up on free agency who's a MUST sign.
J Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:11 AM   #10
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

This shouldn't be too difficult. The guy already makes good money for a kicker. He might re-sign for the same money, or at most, we can just give him what we save from cutting Carey Davis.