Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-07-2009, 03:48 AM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,163 Times in 1,343 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Steelers: Speedy Timmons adds new dimension

Forget about a competition with Larry Foote. The best battle for Lawrence Timmons was always whether he could close faster on the ball than Troy Polamalu, the original Tasmanian Devil. It was a competition his teammates would like to see. And none of them are ready to discount the 245-pound inside linebacker.

"They're neck and neck," said inside linebacker James Farrior.

"I don't know," cornerback Deshea Townsend said. "It would be close."

In just two years with the Steelers, Timmons' explosiveness and ability to close on a ballcarrier are already the stuff of legend. Now, entering his third season as the first player drafted by Mike Tomlin, he has a chance to showcase his awesome physical ability on a full-time basis, not just as a blitzing, pass-covering linebacker who spent his first two seasons playing mostly in the team's substitution packages (nickel and dime defenses).

And his teammates on the NFL's No. 1 defense seem just as eager to have Timmons be an every-down player, as he prepares to become a starter in the league.

"He's probably one of the best athletes we have on the team," said Farrior, Foote's long-time partner at inside linebacker. "He's very explosive."

"He just has rockets in his butt," said defensive end Brett Keisel. "He can run like I haven't seen a lot of guys run."

The Steelers granted Foote's wish in the offseason and released him after five years as one of their starting inside linebackers, clearing the way for Timmons to step in to what is arguably the best group of linebackers in the NFL. Timmons is not a run-stuffing linebacker such as Foote; rather, he has the speed and athleticism to be a defensive playmaker -- a player who can blitz from any direction but also drop into coverage against running backs, tight ends and, on occasion, wide receivers.

And, because he played in all the substitution packages, Timmons will become an every-down player with the Steelers, something Foote did not do.

"It's not a bad trade, either way," Townsend said. "It's a plus for our team. Foote was a great player. Timmons is going to be a great player."

Foote was a five-year starter after being drafted in the fourth round in 2002, but he asked to be released in the offseason because he knew he was going to phased out for Timmons -- something he had known almost from the time Timmons was the 15th overall selection in 2007. Also, Foote was due to make nearly $3 million this season and was unwilling to take a pay cut.

One week after Foote was released, he signed a one-year contract with his hometown Detroit Lions, a move that took him from the top of the NFL to the absolute bottom.

"He was a very smart player," Farrior said. "He helped me out a lot. I'm looking forward to working with Timmons, but I feel like I'm going to have to help him out a lot more than he's helping me."

"A huge run stuffer," Keisel said. "Foote was great at getting his nose right up in there and stuffing the run. And we lose great leader in the locker room. But that's the way football is. Every year you lose a friend."

And sometimes you gain a great player.

Timmons' athleticism is nearly unmatched on the team. He has lined up at just about every position on the field, except for nose tackles, and is often asked to cover running backs and wide receivers.

And, with the possible exception of Polamalu, there isn't another player on the team who closes on the ball faster and with more explosion than Timmons, even after adding nearly 10 pounds in the offseason.

"I don't know if Troy can come through faster than Timmons," said outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who was drafted in the second round behind Timmons in 2007. "He comes through with so much power and explosion. He's not scared to take on an offensive lineman. You don't find guys like that a lot. Usually those guys are scared to take on those offensive linemen."

Said Townsend: "Once [Timmons] pushes that foot down to go, he's going. He gets there in a hurry."

Even if it took him three years to get his chance to start.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09219/989150-66.stm
Old 08-07-2009, 04:38 AM   #2
BlockMonsta
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13642
Default Re: Steelers: Speedy Timmons adds new dimension

All that speed yet was one yard short of 90.
BlockMonsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
The Definiti0n
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13192

Timmons was the only draft pick I ever guessed right lol. This is Tomlin's Derrick Brooks.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:26 AM   #4
Kaeg
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5784

I'm so freakin excited about this season! I can't stand it!
Kaeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:26 AM   #5
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

5 sacks last year playing behind Foote. Imagine what he will be like this year. I think our D is gonna be better this year.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

I hope he has a monster year.

All that speed on the outside is great - but can he stick his nose in the pile and tackle the ballcarrier at the line after fighting off G's and OT's? - that's his job now, stuff the run. No dancing around piles, get up in there and bust them at the LOS. That's what I want to see him do. The #1 Defense is counting on him.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
LambertLunatic
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2563

He's not scared to take on an
(STEELER) offensive lineman. You don't find guys like that a lot. Usually those guys are scared to take on those offensive linemen, EXCEPT FOR STEELER OFFENSIVE LINEMEN, WHICH ISN'T NEARLY AS SCARY."

Sorry, Mr Woodley, but I had to correct that for you.

Let's face it, Timmons isn't going up against elite O linemen. This isn't a diss against him, but let's reserve judgement till we see Timmons against better O lines.
LambertLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
benfan7
Water Boy

Member Number: 8722

Timmons will have a monster season, he's just a special player. How often do you find a 245 pd linebacker who can play everywhere and has the same closing speed as Troy Polumalu? not to many...

SIX TIME CHAMPS!
benfan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Can he stay healthy in the trench wars up front? That's my biggest concern.

Say what you want about Foote - but he never missed a game in 5 years from injury. That's pretty amazing.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:03 AM   #10
Dizzle43
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8235

I can't wait to see what great things Timmons can do this upcoming season!!