Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 08-07-2009, 01:03 PM   #1
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,093 Times in 764 Posts
Default No. 2 QB job is Batch's to lose

Steelers QB Batch serves as mentor to Dixon

Batch has proven to be as resilient as he is reliable, and with training camp less than a week old, it is clear that the No. 2 spot at quarterback behind starter Ben Roethlisberger is his to lose.

Or, as offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said earlier this week when asked if Batch is in competition with second-year man Dennis Dixon, "It's Charlie's, and Dennis is growing."

The two got their share of work Wednesday afternoon — coach Mike Tomlin opted to rest Roethlisberger — for different reasons.

Batch is still knocking the rust off after missing the 2008 season, while Dixon needs all of the repetitions he can get after attempting just one pass his rookie season.

In addition to re-establishing himself as the Steelers' No. 2 quarterback, Batch continues to mentor Dixon — and essentially prepare the former Oregon star to one day take his job.

Dixon is still very much a work-in-progress as the first week of camp has shown. But the 6-3, 209-pounder said he has gotten much more comfortable in the Steelers' offense.

"I have a lot to learn, but what a difference a year makes," said Dixon, who appeared in just one game last season. "Things are starting to slow down for me."

Dixon, a running as well as a passing threat in college, said he is open to taking snaps as a "Wildcat" quarterback. Arians, however, said earlier this week that he has no plans to add the subpackage to the Steelers' offense in part because "Dennis would get broken in half."

That means Dixon, barring injury or a dismal preseason by Batch, will spend at least another year learning.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_636967.html

----------------------------------

Well there ya go
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,156 Posts
Default Re: No. 2 QB job is Batch's' to lose

Quote:
Arians, however, said earlier this week that he has no plans to add the subpackage to the Steelers' offense in part because "Dennis would get broken in half."
thats about the lamest excuse i've ever heard. being a "running " qb in college, i'd venture to say he took more hits than ben, or parker did in college... yet he's still in one piece ... if i was dixon, i'd be all over arians for making me sound like a wuss..

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:29 PM   #3
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

College hits (especially in the Pac-10 where defense isn't always a priority) differ greatly from professional hits.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
College hits (especially in the Pac-10 where defense isn't always a priority) differ greatly from professional hits.
the guy is 209 lbs ,not 179. the guy is a freakin football player for gods sakes.!!! have you ever heard another coach say they're holding a non injured player back for fear of them getting hurt ?
if they don't feel the guy is tough enough to be on the field, he shouldn't be on the team...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

At 6'3, he needs to bulk up about 10-15 more lbs to really take the beating that an NFL/Wildcat QB would take.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #6
J Dogg
Banned

Member Number: 13272

I'd rather him learn how to be an actual quaterback instead of a sideshow.

Call me crazy that way.
J Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:24 PM   #7
BurghBoyz86
Water Boy

Member Number: 13782

I've always thought Chuck Batch was a great back-up and if he would have started more games in 2006, the Steelers would have made the playoffs!!
BurghBoyz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #8
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

You know, if they technically named Dixon the No. 2, or listed him at some other position, at least he'd be allowed on the field.

I can't think of any reason we'd want Batch on the field unless Ben really IS hurt bad. In which case, being the No. 3 technically serves us just fine.
Old 08-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #9
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Dogg View Post
I'd rather him learn how to be an actual quaterback instead of a sideshow.

Call me crazy that way.
I'm with you on that 100%. I'd much rather him learn to be a prolific passer than a scatcat. That's what we have RB's for.

I'm hoping he beats Charlie out for the #2 spot. As I've said many times, though Charlie is a great guy and would make a good assistant coach, I've never been impressed with him as a QB either in Detroit or here in the Burgh.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #10
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,093 Times in 764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
thats about the lamest excuse i've ever heard. ... if i was dixon, i'd be all over arians for making me sound like a wuss..
C'mon - Dixon is skinny as a rail - eat some cheeseburgers dude! Bulk up.
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote