Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers > Training Camp

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 08-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers Summers adjusting to NFL game

Steelers Summers adjusting to NFL game
August 7, 5:54 AM Matt Pawlikowski - Pittsburgh Sports Examiner
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...ng-to-NFL-game

LATROBE - Entering camp there was a lot of hype about UNLV rookie running back Frank Summers. Yet for the most part it has been a quiet camp. AP FILE PHOTO

Other than the first day when he was welcomed to the NFL with a big hit from Willie Gay that knocked him backwards, and forced him to fumble the ball, that is.

"When you carry a nickname like 'The Tank' guys are going to try you," coach Mike Tomlin said after. "They want him to prove that nickname is earned."

Admittedly, its been a big adjustment for Summers to the NFL game from his playing days in college.

"I started off a little slow and rocky just trying to get my feet wet, not really knowing what to expect," Summers said. "Obviously coming from college to a great team like this one. I'm just trying to go day by day, play by play and as long as I keep getting better and not making the same mistakes I can't complain."

Summers, who was drafted by the team in the fifth round is listed as a running back on the roster. He is a bruiser at 241 pounds, and could do some damage clearing the running lanes.

" I'm trying to do my role and at the same time learn the playbook and really learn from these great veterans and be professional," he said. " I'm trying to go day by day, play by play."

Asked what its like to suit up for the Steelers, Summers says he is humbled.

"I really don't know if I can answer that, this team is really unreal," Summers said. " They're big, they are fast, anything you think an NFL type caliber team being, especially a Super Bowl winning team team, this is it.

" I 'm very fortunate to have great guys over me and teaching me the ropes each day and how to go about this business. and they have really great guys."

In two seasons at UNLV, Summers rushed for 1,668 yards and had 14 rushing touchdowns. He also caught 36 passes for 402 yards and six touchdowns. While he knows he wont touch the ball as much, he is a guy that Steeler nation should embrace

"I was obviously excited and humbled, and I felt truly blessed being selected by the Steelers, " Summers said. "Coming to a place that I think fits me, I consider myself a blue collar guy and this is a blue collar city as well so I think it was a perfect fit."
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote