Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default HIRE a GM Already

only a bungles fan can come up with this

A small plane flew over the Bengals scrimmage trailing a banner that read "101-187-1 ... HIRE A GM!"

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/traini...e=NFLHeadlines

GEORGETOWN, Ky. -- Carson Palmer had a completion and an interception Friday on the opening drive of the Cincinnati Bengals' training camp scrimmage, played under an airborne reminder of fans' discontent.

The Bengals went 4-11-1 last season, when Palmer missed a dozen games with a severe elbow injury. He was 3 for 4 for 36 yards during the annual scrimmage, with an interception on a pass that safety Chris Crocker anticipated. Crocker saw the play developing and stepped in front of Chad Ochocinco.

"That was the first thing I asked him, if he knew what the play was," Palmer said. "And the defender will never admit to knowing the play. They always say it's their great instincts and their keen ability. But he made a good play. I shouldn't have thrown it there."

An estimated 6,500 fans showed up for the annual scrimmage. Soon after it started, a small plane flew overhead towing a banner that read: "101-187-1 ... HIRE A GM!"

That's the Bengals' record since 1991, when Mike Brown took control of the team after his father's death.

Brown functions as the team's de facto general manager. He was sitting on a patio next to the press box, watching the scrimmage, when the banner flew overhead. The Bengals have had only one winning season during Brown's 18 years of running the team.

The main intrigue for the scrimmage was how Palmer would look when he returned to running an offense that finished last in the league without him. He played only a few series and didn't get to do much, with the offense working on running plays most of the time.

His one notable play was the interception.

"It does feel good," Crocker said. "It's not easy to pick off Carson. He's trying to get me every day in practice."

The franchise quarterback didn't play after Oct. 5 last year, a 31-22 loss to Dallas that convinced him there was a problem with his passing elbow. Palmer hurt the elbow two weeks earlier when he was hit while throwing, but didn't consider it a serious injury.

Tests found that he had partially torn a ligament and a tendon from the bone. He chose to let the elbow heal with time and treatment rather than having reconstructive surgery. He's been throwing full speed during the off season.

"I feel good," Palmer said. "I feel confident in what I'm doing personally, confident in what we're doing as an offense. I keep saying the same thing over and over: We just need to keep getting better. I need to keep getting better."

Offensive lineman Andre Smith, the sixth overall pick in the draft, was the only player holding out in a contract dispute. The Bengals are counting on Smith to start at right tackle.

Even without Smith, the offensive line has undergone a makeover in the offseason. Right guard Bobbie Williams is the only lineman starting at the same position. Both tackles have been replaced.

The line opened a few holes for running back Cedric Benson on the opening series, setting up gains of 12 and 11 yards on back-to-back plays. Offensive line coach Paul Alexander was concerned before the scrimmage about how the line would perform. He liked what he saw.

"For one day at one small point in time, I was feeling satisfied," Alexander said.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
CantStop85
Living Legend

Member Number: 486
Default Re: HIRE a GM Already

And today at the mock game they flew a plane that said: "When is training camp for the front office?"

My personal favorite was the one at the first day of camp that said: "I can only see 1 scout from here!"

The other was "$458,000,000 to build PBS = 0 playoff wins!"

The people who did it are part of "WhoDeyRevolution." They've also done a bunch of billboards and such around the stadium. Most of the blind homer fans think it's stupid, but I love it.

You can check out their website at: http://www.whodeyrevolution.com/

Last edited by CantStop85; 08-09-2009 at 03:40 AM.
CantStop85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 03:37 AM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantStop85 View Post
And today at the mock game they flew a plane that said: "When is training camp for the front office?"

My personal favorite was the one at the day of camp that said: "I can only see 1 scout from here!"

The other was "$458,000,000 to build PBS = 0 playoff wins!"

The people who did it are part of "WhoDeyRevolution." They've also done a bunch of billboards and such around the stadium. Most of the blind homer fans think it's stupid, but I love it.

You can check out their website at: http://www.whodeyrevolution.com/
that is pretty dang hilarious.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Sell the team and move it already...yeeshk!
Old 08-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

That's freaking AWESOME!!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 PM   #6
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

While I admire those who are a part of the WhoDeyRevolution, they are wasting their money because Mike Brown isn't going to budge.

Paul Brown must be rolling over in his grave.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote