Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-10-2009, 12:52 AM   #1
7SteelGal43
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 12283
Default Moral Outrage and the Hypocracy of Double Standard

Why is it when a Rebublican congressman has an affair, Dems cry moral outrage and demand he step down (as rightly do Republicans). Yet when a Democrat president does the same thing, there's no moral outrage to be found from the left.

sig by steelax04
7SteelGal43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:26 AM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,301 Times in 1,410 Posts
Default Re: Moral Outrage and the Hypocracy of Double Standard

personally i don't get the " outrage " ,period ... thats a private matter between the parties "involved" and is absolutely nobody elses business. how much of the taxpayers money was pissed away to find out clinton was a cheating perv ? the few good jokes we got out of it certainly didn't justify the amount.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:37 AM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
personally i don't get the " outrage " ,period ... thats a private matter between the parties "involved" and is absolutely nobody elses business. how much of the taxpayers money was pissed away to find out clinton was a cheating perv ? the few good jokes we got out of it certainly didn't justify the amount.
Actually, the issue wasn't whether Clinton cheated or not, it was whether he was using his position of power and authority to influence women under him sexually.

It is called sexual harassment in the workplace.

If it was about some woman on the side, THAT wouldn't justify the money spent.

However, I personally DO have a problem trusting a person who violates the trust given to him in what is supposed to be the most intimate and trusting of relationships.

Doesn't mean that person is immediately disqualified in my mind, but it really raises up red flags for me.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:01 AM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,301 Times in 1,410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Actually, the issue wasn't whether Clinton cheated or not, it was whether he was using his position of power and authority to influence women under him sexually.

It is called sexual harassment in the workplace.

If it was about some woman on the side, THAT wouldn't justify the money spent.

However, I personally DO have a problem trusting a person who violates the trust given to him in what is supposed to be the most intimate and trusting of relationships.

Doesn't mean that person is immediately disqualified in my mind, but it really raises up red flags for me.
which amazingly enough they manage to dig up paula jones, who decided 3 years after the "supposed" incident that slick willie sexually harrassed her and wanted compensated for it...hmmm ... sounds like something thats goin on now....

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:08 AM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
which amazingly enough they manage to dig up paula jones, who decided 3 years after the "supposed" incident that slick willie sexually harrassed her and wanted compensated for it...hmmm ... sounds like something thats goin on now....
More than that, when a person that has direct authority over another's employment has sexual relations with that person, it immediately causes all types of concerns. When, in the end, a whitehouse intern gets a 6 figure job because of a sexual relation-- it seems that such investigations were very necessary. As such, since Ben neither employed the woman nor had direct authority over her employment, it seems to be nothing alike.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:45 AM   #6
Vincent
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 10927

My recollection of the Great Lewinsky Affair was as much of a young trollop as it was a Lothario that happened to occupy the Oval Office. IMHO, their "moral footing" was about equal. I think it was less about the "most powerful man in the world" abusing the "First Fellatrix", than it was about the ensuing subterfuge. There, laws were broken. The whole sordid affair was great TV though.

As to the point of the thread? One could attribute the double standard to the obsequious "media". Although they did bake John Edwards.

I think the larger double standard is in how the "media" treat anything outside of their "mainstream". The notion that the "media" present any form of "journalism" at this point is ridiculous. They are taught "advocacy journalism" in the hallowed halls of "higher education", and that is precisely what they practice. I have no issue with folks voicing their opinion, regardless of what that opinion is. Just don't frame opinions as "journalism" and sell it as such. That is fraudulent.

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution,
but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."

Abraham Lincoln
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

One of the problems with this whole line of reason is that the Republicans are claiming to have a higher set of standards, so when they fall, it's a bit farther to fall because they've raised the bar a little higher for themselves. It also makes them susceptible to their own hypocrisy.

Does that mean it's OK or expected for Democrats to cheat and philander around? Of course not, but it does mean there is sort of a sliding scale of moral turpitude...
Old 08-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #8
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
One of the problems with this whole line of reason is that the Republicans are claiming to have a higher set of standards, so when they fall, it's a bit farther to fall because they've raised the bar a little higher for themselves. It also makes them susceptible to their own hypocrisy.

Does that mean it's OK or expected for Democrats to cheat and philander around? Of course not, but it does mean there is sort of a sliding scale of moral turpitude...
Another problem is both sides are guilty of that kind of hackery.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,205 Times in 2,670 Posts

simple.

tonto say "ride on high horse = greater the fall".

i think the right is hypocritical to whine about it. what is good for the goose is good for the gander.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #10
SteelTalons
Starter

Member Number: 11867

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
simple.

tonto say "ride on high horse = greater the fall".

i think the right is hypocritical to whine about it. what is good for the goose is good for the gander.
Exactly.

I dont personally care what these guys and gals do so long as it doesn't effect their ability to govern properly.

But the reason the left doesn't care when a Democrat does it, but complains when a Republican does. Has to do with the fact most Dems arent claiming moral high ground. They aren't going super-religious on everyone saying I'm qualified to run because Im a man/woman of faith like the Republicans do oh so often.

When a person turns around and does something they claimed they were against. The lefts "outrage" isn't so much about actually giving a damn what they did as it is calling a hypocrite a hypocrite.

This has more to do with irony than outrage honestly.
SteelTalons is offline   Reply With Quote