Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #21
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741
Default Re: Browns | Quarterback battle remains open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Head View Post
go back to that draft and tell me who the Browns should have drafted?

you guys are idiots, the Browns would trade half of their team right now for Ben
Whatever moron.

Need I remind you (and Revs) what the draft prospect had to say about him:

NEGATIVES: A pocket passer with marginal mobility and cannot escape the rush. Must improve his downfield accuracy as well as the placement of the outs. Majority of snaps are taken out of the shotgun.

Drafting him on a team with no line, no WR and no HB worth mentioning seems like it'd be the exact same mistake we made when we drafted Tim Couch. Yes, we made a mistake in drafting KW2. However, drafting Ben would not have solved our problems. The team was shoddily put together in 1999...and little was done to rectify it. Savage made some moves to get us on the right track (like the drafting of Joe T, or getting Shaun Rogers)...but he also made some serious blunders (like signing Stallworth to that ridiculous contract.)

Hindisight is 20/20 Big Ben exceeded the expectations of almost everyone on the planet...including 99.9% of you Steelers fans. Your own personal revisionist history might make you believe otherwise, but that's a "you" problem.

The Browns need to continue to refine their lines...then they can be concerned with finding the skill players to match up with them. Without the lines, nobody we bring in will play well. Nobody. Especially when you consider that (at the moment) we don't have a defense that will keep most of the games we play close enough for it to matter.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:15 PM   #22
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Again, false. I'd seen Ben play innumerable times, and was on a rival board pimping the HELL out of him. I was ecstatic at the selection, and knew exactly what we had.

You REALLY need to go back and do a little research on your own team before you come busting onto a Steelers board telling us how one of the most productive QB's in the NFL would not have been a good fit for team that has played QB roulette for the least 10 years.

Hell, want research? Just read my last few posts!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:25 PM   #23
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
I'm SHOCKED at the lack of knowledge of your own team...why am I explaining this to you?

In 2004 the Browns had Holcomb, Garcia and McCown on their roster...Garcia was a veteran starter and even Holcomb had experience. You most DEFINITELY sit Ben behind those guys, dump McCown and let him learn.

In case you didn't know (and it's a good bet you don't), th Steelers plans were to sit Ben behind Tommy Friggin' Maddox (but Maddox was injured early on), so sitting him for a year behind Garcia would have made good plain sense.

Please stop...you're embarrassing yourself at this point...
Holcomb - Benched for inconsistency. Garcia - ended season on the IR. McCown...really? Even a rookie Ben is better than him.

I did know that the Steelers planned on sitting Ben. I also know that Ben had the benefit of veteran WR who could play the game, a runner who was on pace to break the 10K yards...and a stellar defense.

None of that matches up to what the Browns could offer Ben.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
Again, false. I'd seen Ben play innumerable times, and was on a rival board pimping the HELL out of him. I was ecstatic at the selection, and knew exactly what we had.

You REALLY need to go back and do a little research on your own team before you come busting onto a Steelers board telling us how one of the most productive QB's in the NFL would not have been a good fit for team that has played QB roulette for the least 10 years.

Hell, want research? Just read my last few posts!
Reading comprehension...I said 99.9% (yeah, you fail...fail...fail... there too)

The Browns weren't drafting a QB propsect who had "questionable mobility" to sit on a team with no line. Ben fell into the perfect situation with the Steelers. He would have had the exact opposite with the Browns. Defense didn't keep it close enough for him to manage the game...he would have been asked to try and win it himself. Our coaching was terrible then...which is why Garcia failed (before landing on the IR) and Holcomb proved himself (time and again) to be a great career backup...and nothing more.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:42 PM   #24
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

If Quinn doesn't win the starting job, Browns fans are going to riot.

IMHO, Anderson was a one year wonder. He can throw it down the field and that's it. Not much accuracy, and little to no touch on short or intermediate throws. He is also an interception machine.

Quinn is a smart player. He was the reason Notre Dame was so good in Weiss' first two years there. He commands respect in the huddle, and he can make most of the throws. He doesn't have the greatest arm for going deep, but he can take his shots and he's pretty accurate with them.

You can build an offense around Quinn, I am not so sure if you can do that around Anderson.

Anderson is a very poor man's Brett Favre.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #25
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

If Quinn doesn't win the starting job, Browns fans are going to riot

Their brains will asplode - why do you think I started this thread?

heh
Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #26
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

I'm not sold on either QB, to be quite honest. I was not sold on a QB who never won anything in college...and I'm not sold on the strong armed but innacurate (and immobile) Anderson either.

I just want a successful QB that turns us into a winner. If that means Theo Ratliff, so be it.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:53 PM   #27
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post

Hindisight is 20/20 Big Ben exceeded the expectations of almost everyone on the planet...including 99.9% of you Steelers fans. Your own personal revisionist history might make you believe otherwise, but that's a "you" problem.
Here I bust out my best girl voice in the song Paradise by the Dashboard lights by Meatloaf...

STOP RIGHT THERE.

I remember the day we drafted Ben. I had a tear on my cheek from the utter joy I felt at having finally Drafting a Fcking QB with the First Round Pick. Everything about Ben told me, he could do the job. While Rivers and Eli were doing their little dance at the top of the draft board, I was witnessing a Future Super Bowl Winner being drafted by my team. And I KNEW IT on Draft Day. My wife looked at me, sitting on the couch and said "what's the matter" and I said, "Nothing...its all going to be good now. We drafted Ben Roethlisberger out of Miami Ohio. We haven't drafted a QB in the first round since Terry Bradshaw. We are going to finally win the Super Bowl again."

So the Browns EPIC FAIL. for sure on that one. Just like the Steelers Epic Failed for not Drafting Dan Marino out of Pitt.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #28
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Being happy about getting him...and saying he exceeded your expectations are two different things. Reading comprehension.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:10 PM   #29
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
Whatever moron.

Need I remind you (and Revs) what the draft prospect had to say about him:

NEGATIVES: A pocket passer with marginal mobility and cannot escape the rush. Must improve his downfield accuracy as well as the placement of the outs. Majority of snaps are taken out of the shotgun.

Drafting him on a team with no line, no WR and no HB worth mentioning seems like it'd be the exact same mistake we made when we drafted Tim Couch. Yes, we made a mistake in drafting KW2. However, drafting Ben would not have solved our problems. The team was shoddily put together in 1999...and little was done to rectify it. Savage made some moves to get us on the right track (like the drafting of Joe T, or getting Shaun Rogers)...but he also made some serious blunders (like signing Stallworth to that ridiculous contract.)

The Browns need to continue to refine their lines...then they can be concerned with finding the skill players to match up with them. Without the lines, nobody we bring in will play well. Nobody. Especially when you consider that (at the moment) we don't have a defense that will keep most of the games we play close enough for it to matter.
you are a stupid freakin moron. /thread

and im pretty sure 90% of your fellow cleveland turd fans would agree
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:19 PM   #30
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

He wouldn't do our team too much good right now. Who's he going to throw too? Who's going to run the ball to keep the attention off of him? What defense is there to keep the games close so that he can make the big plays he makes?

1 QB is not the solution to the Browns problems. If you can't see that, that goes to show how little you know about football.