Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 08-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #31
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393
Default Re: Browns | Quarterback battle remains open

Quote:
Originally Posted by xfl2001fan View Post
He wouldn't do our team too much good right now. Who's he going to throw too? Who's going to run the ball to keep the attention off of him? What defense is there to keep the games close so that he can make the big plays he makes?

1 QB is not the solution to the Browns problems. If you can't see that, that goes to show how little you know about football.
you are a complete moron.

you seriously think your team wouldn't be better off with Big Ben?

i feel bad for people that are this stupid. society has failed them somewhere along the line
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:24 PM   #32
xfl2001fan
Living Legend

Member Number: 8741

We need much more than Big Ben...and when you consider his contract, we'd have to give up a lot of talent to have him. So yes, in this specific case, we would be worse with Ben...because we'd have much less talent to surround him with than what the Steelers have to offer.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #33
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

I just don't understand what you are still arguing for.

The drafted a QB in the third the next year who had many of the same attributes of Ben MINUS his arm-strength. You can't use 20/20 hindsight on Garcia, stating that he was on the IR proves nothing OTHER than that they knew he (and Dilfer) were mere stop-gaps.

The Browns effed up in 2004. There were 3 premier QB's, one was left on the board when their number was up, and they picked a high strung, temperamental borderline thug TE instead of Ben.

They DID take considerable steps to upgrade their line in '05. Droughns was a weapon in the backfield. 2005 would have been a break-out year for Ben Roethlisberger had he been picked up by the Browns.

Finally, using Ben's resulting contract, based on his early success, is having it both ways: If he'd fail with the Browns, his contract would not have been 102 million, conversely, if he HAD the success (which he would have because he just THAT good), the Browns would have gladly paid him (and probably paid him more than the Steelers did).

This is a stupid argument, you lost it 20 posts ago, and I'm done with it...
Old 08-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #34
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551

Anyone who is arguing that Ben would be anywhere NEAR as successful with the Browns is foolish.

http://slam.canoe.ca/StatsFBP/BC-FBP...LANDROS-R.html

THIS is the roster he would have been. Even if you put Joe Montana or Otto Graham as starting QB, I doubt like all hell they would have been able to succeed. There is absolutely no one to throw the ball, no offensive line, very little in defensive help and good luck finding someone to hand the ball of to.

He would have FAILED here, absolutely FAILED. To the point where he would have been booed out of town by 2007 IMO.

Now lets compare that to this

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...004_roster.htm

A team with 8 Pro Bowlers, a great defense and one that had made the AFC title game a couple of times. Quite different than an expansion team that had little in terms of talents. Oh, did I also mention that the front office actually could function well and that the coaching staff was amongst the best in the NFL.

A QB wouldn't have fixed the Browns problems. PERIOD. They lacked depth, lacked an o-line, lacked a decent coaching staff, lacked a decent GM, lacked a RB. Everything that the Steelers had, the Browns didn't back then. Hell, they still don't have it all together.

They don't need a QB, nor did they need one back then. They need to fix those problems first before they can even think about doing those.

The Browns didn't do bad here, In fact, they at least got one Pro Bowl season out of Winslow and a trade that eventually netted us Massaquoi. If Ben had been drafted by us, I doubt the same could be said.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #35
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,182 Times in 1,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 6 Rings View Post
Here I bust out my best girl voice in the song Paradise by the Dashboard lights by Meatloaf...

STOP RIGHT THERE.

I remember the day we drafted Ben. I had a tear on my cheek from the utter joy I felt at having finally Drafting a Fcking QB with the First Round Pick. Everything about Ben told me, he could do the job. While Rivers and Eli were doing their little dance at the top of the draft board, I was witnessing a Future Super Bowl Winner being drafted by my team. And I KNEW IT on Draft Day. My wife looked at me, sitting on the couch and said "what's the matter" and I said, "Nothing...its all going to be good now. We drafted Ben Roethlisberger out of Miami Ohio. We haven't drafted a QB in the first round since Terry Bradshaw. We are going to finally win the Super Bowl again."

So the Browns EPIC FAIL. for sure on that one. Just like the Steelers Epic Failed for not Drafting Dan Marino out of Pitt.
mark malone ...

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:46 PM   #36
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
mark malone ...
Exactly!

Don't kid yourself there are teams kicking themselves for NOT Drafting Ben.

SD Eli Manning QB (Great Pick, bad trade to the Giants)
Oak Robert Gallery T (good pick)
Ari Larry Fitz WR (Great Pick)
NYG Philip Rivers QB (Ok Pick, got ELI so its a great pick for them to get Eli.)
Wash Sean Taylor CB (Sad Pick)
Cle Kellen Winslow Jr TE (Ok Pick)
Det Roy Williams WR (Bad Pick that high On his 2nd team)
Atl DeAngelo Hall (Bad Pick already on his 3rd team)
Jax Reggie Williams WR (Bad Pick they still don't have receivers down in Jacksonville)
Hous Dunta Robinsone (ok Pick)
Pittsburgh Big Ben (Best Pick for Value in this Draft)
Old 08-11-2009, 05:52 PM   #37
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

2004 is going to be considered one of the Best QB Draft Classes of all time. To have "missed" that year is a true Epic Fail.

just like in 1983. John Elway drafted #1, Eric Dickerson #2, Jim Kelly drafted at #14, and Dan Marino Drafted at #27. Lots of teams "missed" that year too. On 2 guys.

6 Hall of Famers drafted in the 1st round in 1983.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #38
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Oh and for the record, Malone was already on the roster, which is why we skipped on Marino, we didn't take Malone instead of Marino, we drafted Gave Rivera in the first round in 1983. He was later paralyzed in a Drunk Driving car wreck that same year.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:06 PM   #39
Fire Haley
Banned

Member Number: 763
Thanked 1,098 Times in 768 Posts

Let us review....

Fire Haley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #40
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer View Post
Let us review....

I'll take the high road and not make any reference to a certain QB's legal troubles in regards to the pic. But probably the worst possible pic. you could post at the moment.

And for the record, I like a guy like Quinn on the roster. He's smart, grew up a Browns fan and is overall a good guy. At the practice I went to he stayed after 30 minutes signing autographs for kids after everyone else had left the field. He's a good person and one that I'm proud to see on the Browns.

Granted, he could be the next Kyle Boller but I trust him as starting QB over Derek Anderson at the moment.