Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #1
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,528 Times in 2,676 Posts
My Mood: Brooding
Default Five questions with ... Mike Wallace

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/...e-Wallace.html

Five questions with ... Mike Wallace
August 10, 2009 1:30 PM
Posted by ESPN.com's James Walker

LATROBE, Pa. -- There is a rookie with the Pittsburgh Steelers who is showing flashes in training camp -- both literally and figuratively.

Steelers rookie Mike Wallace is impressing coaches with his speed. Lightning-quick rookie receiver Mike Wallace has been impressive this summer. He is showing good hands and improved route-running, which hasn't gone ignored by Pittsburgh's coaching staff.

The AFC North blog recently caught up with Wallace to discuss his speed and starting a new rivalry with good friend and former college teammate Michael Oher.

1. Mike, what is it like for a rookie playing every day against last year's top-rated defense?

Mike Wallace: It's a big difference because our defense sends a lot of different blitzes. The main adjustment is learning the "hots" [hot reads] because I don't want to leave Ben (Roethlisberger) out there to dry. So I'm just working my way up to try to get as many reps as I can to help my team. But I believe we're going to have the best defense again this year. We have a lot of playmakers on defense, we have real good coaches, and we have a real good scheme.

2. You and Michael Oher of the Baltimore Ravens were college teammates at Ole Miss. What's your rapport with him?

Wallace: Me and "Big O," we've been friends ever since we stepped on campus. Sometimes I used to stay by his house in Memphis. We've been real good friends our whole time there at Ole Miss. That was one of my closest teammates when I was there.

3. How does it feel now to be on opposites sides of one of the NFL's best rivalries?

Wallace: It's going to be a change, but it's going to be fun. I can't wait to play against him. I feel like our team is going to go out and try to win a ballgame. We're going to save the [trash] talk for that week. We've just been talking lately to make sure each other is straight. We talked maybe two or three days ago to see how each other were doing.

4. Your Steeler teammates are already saying you're one of the fastest players on the team. Where do you think you rank?

Wallace: [Laughs] I don't know. I don't want to put it out there too early. You got to race a couple guys first, and those guys are established. Speed doesn't matter if I haven't done anything yet. So I'm just trying to work to get better.

5. What's it like learning under Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes?

Wallace: It's going to help me be the best player I can be, because they've been there. They've been at the top. With Hines and Santonio, I have two Super Bowl MVPs and not just one helping me out. What one hasn't done the other one has. So they've done pretty much everything.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,570 Times in 1,509 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Five questions with ... Mike Wallace

I am really excited about Wallace I cant wait to watch him Thursday night.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
Nadroj 20
Team President

Member Number: 14045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
I am really excited about Wallace I cant wait to watch him Thursday night.
I am also excited his speed should finally give us a fast kick returner
Nadroj 20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #4
The Definiti0n
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13192

Fantasy Sleeper!!
Old 08-10-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I've been trying to read this post all day but Wallace is SO FAST I couldn't keep up!!!!