Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 08-11-2009, 07:06 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Steelers Ryan Clark tenacious yet humble in his ways

Steelers Ryan Clark tenacious yet humble in his ways
August 11, 4:00 AM · Matt Pawlikowski - Pittsburgh Sports Examiner
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...le-in-his-ways

LATROBE- He's got an infectious smile. But don't let it fool you.

When it comes to football, safety Ryan Clark is part of a tenacious 1-2 tandem teaming with Troy Polamalu to wreak havoc on opposing offenses.

But you won't find him talking about himself.

"I think this is the best group I have ever been around its awesome here," Clark said. " It's about that momentum you build when one guy makes a big play. If you are genuinely happy when one guy makes a play, you are going to feed off them. When you love your teammates the way we do, when someone makes a play you are actually excited and you turn around and make a big play."

Clark did just that last season. He played in 14 games and recorded 87 tackles and along with one interception in 14 starts last season. He has totaled 342 tackles in his career, 181 with the Steelers.

"When you play on this defense, you have to do something to make the guys respect you. It's a blue collar mentality, it's about people working hard. I remember when I got here I just wanted to fit in." Clark said." They accept you with open arms, but it wasn’t until the third game of my first season here when I made that hit on Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry James Harrison said I was officially one of the Steelers. "

Clark said a big reason for the success of the team, which is no secret around the league (former Denver coach Mike Shanahan recently watched practice and intently studied him) is defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

"He is the best coach ever," Clark said. "It's like having a father out there, you want to win for him, you want to go out there and do well. He genuinely cares about every guy on this defense and you just want to do well for him."

Clark also talked about the fans having some influence.

"It's about having a blue collar mentality just like our fans," Clark said. "We don't have those prissy fans that stand in the crowd and don't get involved. They cheer and get involved. We play like that."

He seems to have garnered a certain bond with those fans too, as he can be found signing autographs long after his teammates have gone.

"I already know one day it is going to come to an end," Clark said. "One day they aren't going to want my autograph, one day they are not going to want my autograph, I'm going to sit around my house, play with my dog, and no one is going to care who Ryan Clark played for or who I am.

"So while you are out here it is blessing. And its opportunity to brighten up somebody's day by just signing your name."

Clark laughed when he was asked if he had a picture of himself signed in his house.

"No I don't, I want to get one of Troy in my house, thats my goal, to get one of Troy."

As for his goals in 2009, Clark lets off a big laugh and gives just one.

" To make the team, right now that is my only goal," Clark said. "I just want to make the 53 man Pittsburgh Steelers roster."

Career Defensive Stats
Year Team Tk Ast Sck Stf FF FR PD Int Yds TD
2002 New York Giants 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
2003 New York Giants 17 0 1 0 0 0 2 0 0 0
2004 Washington Redskins 61 14 0 2 0 0 1 0 0 0
2005 Washington Redskins 42 15 0.5 0 2 0 5 3 10 0
2006 Pittsburgh Steelers 45 24 0 1.5 0 3 4 1 -1 0
2007 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 4 1 0 1 0 3 0 0 0
Totals: 181 58 2.5 3.5 3 3 15 4 9 0
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
mulldog24
Starter

Member Number: 13119
Default Re: Steelers Ryan Clark tenacious yet humble in his ways

I don't think making the 53 is gonna be a problem lol !!! I'll never understand why the redskins let him go after such a good year,but i'm glad as hell that they are so stupid!!!!!!!
mulldog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Men of Steel
Team Captain

Member Number: 13746
My Mood: Amused

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Steelers Ryan Clark tenacious yet humble in his ways
August 11, 4:00 AM · Matt Pawlikowski - Pittsburgh Sports Examiner
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pitts...le-in-his-ways

" To make the team, right now that is my only goal," Clark said. "I just want to make the 53 man Pittsburgh Steelers roster."

talk about taking it one step at a time.... of course he will make the team.... but his concentration is only on whats right in front of him... the next step. this is just a small indicator that he will give it all he's got every step of the way... on every play... every game... all season long!

Old 08-12-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
rich4eagle
Starter

Member Number: 399
My Mood: Stressed

Ryan Clarks play was way underrated in the Steeler march to another Super Bowl

he was a huge factor
rich4eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
CanadianSteel
Team Captain

Member Number: 6555

Just another example of signing a key free agent who just fit perfectly into the Steelers ala James Farrior.

Ryan Clark is the man who delivers the boom and also lets Troy be Troy all over the field.
CanadianSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
steelballs
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 13011

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianSteel View Post
Just another example of signing a key free agent who just fit perfectly into the Steelers ala James Farrior.

Ryan Clark is the man who delivers the boom and also lets Troy be Troy all over the field.
Well said...Clark is the glue that holds the backfield together and is one of the nicest, most unassuming players on the roster. We need to resign him.
steelballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:03 AM   #7
ReedsGirl3
Water Boy

Member Number: 13484

this man is awesome! just on an off the field he is a complete class act. One of my favorites for sure!
ReedsGirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote