Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 08-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
Kvnfaber
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6695
Default Ravens Focused on solving Steelers, Big Ben

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth

Ravens focused on solving Steelers, Big Ben
August 11, 2009 11:45 AM
Posted by Sal Paolantonio

WESTMINSTER, Md. -- You can't blame the Ravens for being a little obsessed with the world champion Steelers -- after all, Baltimore lost all three games to Pittsburgh in 2008.

Gregory Shamus/Getty Images
The Ravens were able to get pressure on Ben Roethlisberger last year, but sacks proved elusive.
A three-point loss at Heinz Field on Monday night in Week 4, a night when rookie quarterback Joe Flacco came of age.
In Week 14, a heart-breaking loss in Baltimore, referee Walt Coleman ruled that Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes crossed the goal line with 43 seconds left -- a call that many in the Ravens organization still stew about.
And then a beatdown in the AFC Championship Game at Heinz Field, when young Flacco was just 13-of-30 passing with three picks and no touchdown passes.
So, it's no surprise that when you ask the Ravens venerable general manager, Ozzie Newsome, what it will take to beat the Steelers this season, he has two quick responses: "Get No. 7 down," and "Be better in the passing game." Before we address sacking Ben Roethlisberger, let's talk about Flacco.

The Ravens finished 28th in the league in passing. That doesn't tell the whole story. During the regular season, Flacco completed a gaudy 60 percent of his passes -- very good for a rookie. But in the playoffs, his completion rate plummeted to 44 percent against three nasty defenses: Miami, Tennessee and Pittsburgh. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, that was the lowest completion percentage (with a minimum 50 attempts) for any quarterback in the postseason in 10 years. (Mark Brunell completed just 40 percent of his passes for the Jaguars in 1998.)

And in three games against the Steelers, Flacco had just one touchdown pass last season -- a dinky 4-yarder to tight end Daniel Wilcox. The strong-armed rookie was just unable to solve Dick LeBeau's pass defense.

"We've got to be more consistent in the passing game, move the chains, control the tempo on offense with balance," said Newsome.

Newsome said that won't matter if the Ravens defense, which finished second in the league to Pittsburgh last season, does not do a better job of sacking Roethlisberger.

"We've got to get No. 7 on the ground," said Newsome, without missing a beat. "We get clean shots at him, but we're not getting him down. I remember we used to have trouble getting to Steve McNair and bringing him down. But Roethlisberger is much tougher. His movement out of the pocket, his ability to throw on the run is what killed us."

The Ravens finished just 11th in the league last year with 34 sacks -- primarily because their primary pass-rusher, Terrell Suggs, has just 13 sacks in the last two seasons.

In all three games against the Ravens last season, using his creativity to stay alive in the pocket, Roethlisberger hit Holmes with killer touchdown passes that proved to be the margin of difference between the play of the two quarterbacks, and the score.

Ravens head coach Jim Harbaugh insisted that his training camp was focused on many things, but he did admit one this: The Ravens' defense is learning to make sure the quarterback goes down. "We are working here a lot on the scramble drill," said Harbaugh. In other words, when the opposing quarterback starts to move out of the pocket, the defense has certain rules of engagement: engage and, hopefully bring down.

Sal Paolantonio is an ESPN bureau reporter based in Philadelphia.

I love how much we are in their heads, and also how we can see Lebeau's mastery of defense and how Flacco wasn't anywhere near solving it last year. Hopefully this holds true again this year!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435
Default Re: Ravens Focused on solving Steelers, Big Ben

Quote:
Ozzie Newsome, what it will take to beat the Steelers this season, he has two quick responses: "Get No. 7 down,
good luck with that, even with the crappy OL we had last year, your ravens still couldnt bring #7 down.

Quote:
Ravens head coach Jim Harbaugh insisted that his training camp was focused on many things, but he did admit one this: The Ravens' defense is learning to make sure the quarterback goes down
hey coach harbaugh, be careful what you say, because we have two of the meanest guys on defense, that eat QBs for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I vote coach tomlin releases harrison and woodley on flacco and see if he can get up

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
Kvnfaber
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6695

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post

hey coach harbaugh, be careful what you say, because we have two of the meanest guys on defense, that eat QBs for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I vote coach tomlin releases harrison and woodley on flacco and see if he can get up
I account our success against them last year almost totally to our matchup of QB vs. Defense.

Big Ben vs. the Ravens Defense is just a mismatch with Flacco against our Defense. After a year to think about it and learn, we'll see if Flacco can close the gap a bit, but my money, obviously, is with Big Ben and our LB's!
Old 08-11-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Whatever. Flacco's going to have a chokey season, and with their defense being knocked down a peg, the Ravens are prime candidates to go 6-10.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Stupid Ravens, by the time we play late in the Season they will have already been eliminated from the playoffs and we'll have the AFC North all but Locked Up.

Dumb Ravens. Worry about Week 1 not week 12.

I'm sure the Chiefs, Chargers, Browns, Bengals, Patriots, Vikings, Broncos and Colts would love to know the Ravens are over looking them.

Dumb Fcking Ravens.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I mean really, I'm so happy that we play the Titans week 1. There is no over look at all, no chance of it, not after the Towell incident. Our Team's focus is going to be unquestionable, we owe the Titans.

The Ravens are walking around in "I hate Pittsburgh" T-shirts and we don't play til week 12. Stupid Fcking Ravens. Classic. We are so in their heads they can't focus on the task at hand. and the task at hand is to Make the Playoffs, not just beat the Steelers.

Dumb Fckign Ravens.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
Steel Head
Banned

Member Number: 13393

Joe Fluke-o is going to suck this year....sophomore slump baby!!!!!

ps - why after Big Ben's record breaking rookie year, all we heard was how he was going to hit a sophmore slump the next year and of course he went on to have a great second season and win the Super Bowl BUT now nobody predicts the dreaded sophomore slump anybody else?
Steel Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

They won't be bringing Big Ben down and Flacco won't be making any big plays.

When Harrison, Woodley, Farrior, and Timmons get done with him, he might need carted off of the field.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #9
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

It's a shame that the organization as a whole is focused on one team - THE STEELERS.

Focusing solely on us, is going to prove to be their downfall this year. Should they win just one game against us, they'll suffer the emotional break down and eventually lose to a team like Detroit!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

This is what happens when you defeat a team 3 times in one season...not only do they start to obsess over you, they also start doubting whether they CAN beat you, and at that point you've already beaten them.

Look at the Browns. We've completely broken their will...they CAN'T beat us now...