Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-14-2009, 01:42 AM   #21
ricksteelers55
Team Captain

Member Number: 3104
Default Re: isaac redman....a sweet dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlvrebelx View Post
I'm glad somebody mentioned this...but Frank Summers did as much to create both of Redman's touchdowns as Redman did....on both TDs, Frank put a nice block on the end.

From what I saw, both Summers and Redman played a very good game. Summers played a lot of special teams too, and had a good tackle, and stuffed up the middle on the kickoffs well.

I know everybody is convinced its either Redman or Summers, but IMO Ithink they both have a shot mainly because Redman looks great at short yardage, and Summers looks like he can play 2 or 3 positions and excel at special teams. You usually don't pass on a guy like Summers, and if Redman keeps producing, you've got to give him a shot as well.

All that said, like the wise posters you read here, bringing many back to earth, its a tad early to to know anything......I'll say this though, Summers was on the field early and often on special teams with 1st and 2nd teamers....hard to think he's not impressing the coaches in some aspects of his game. Everybody's looking for the homerun hitter at running back, but I'm not sure that's the only reason the Steelers' coaches like Summers.....
Honestly I think that Redman will have to do a lot to make the team.Yeah he can block but so can Summers.

I dont think the Steelers will keep Redman over Summers just because he is better in short yardage.He will have to do more than that.

They already have Parker,Moore and Mendenhall set at RB so I think they will probably keep 2 between Davis,Summers and Redman(4 RB + 1 FB)

Tomlin loves versatility and he gets plenty of that with Summers.Summers can play FB and RB,can block,play in ST and got lot of playing time tonight even though he didnt carry the ball that much.

Redman doesnt look like a power runner to me,he does some spin sometimes after the 1st hit and there was a run where he ended up going out of bounds instead of taking the hit.

Again,only time will tell but man would I love the Steelers to strike a deal with the Raiders and grab RB Michael Bush.....still cant believe we took Spaeth instead of him,we would have our guy right now
ricksteelers55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:43 AM   #22
O Sensei
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 14023

Dude looked good and ran hard at times, but you can't really know what you have til they go against first teamer defenses. You look at Mendenhall and you just know he's loaded with potential....if only he had a little more bite to him........I hate to say it but Felix Jones, Chris Johnson, the kid from WVU, Forte, the one that I went into the draft wanting and Ray Rice are lookin' way better than Mendenhall. Just sayin'. It speaks volumes that we've got a first round pick healthy and ready and all we're talkin' about is a late round fatback and a URFA. Cripes I hope FWP stays healthy.
O Sensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:00 AM   #23
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksteelers55 View Post
Again,only time will tell but man would I love the Steelers to strike a deal with the Raiders and grab RB Michael Bush.....still cant believe we took Spaeth instead of him,we would have our guy right now

GOD THIS WOULD BE AWESOME!!!
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:51 AM   #24
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlvrebelx View Post
From what I saw, both Summers and Redman played a very good game. Summers played a lot of special teams too, and had a good tackle, and stuffed up the middle on the kickoffs well.

I know everybody is convinced its either Redman or Summers, but IMO Ithink they both have a shot mainly because Redman looks great at short yardage, and Summers looks like he can play 2 or 3 positions and excel at special teams. You usually don't pass on a guy like Summers, and if Redman keeps producing, you've got to give him a shot as well.

Al..
I'm not sure that the Steelers would keep two rookie backs. Although, having McHugh means that Summers could technically be a backup full back.

So maybe Willie, Mendy, Mewelde, Franky and Isaacy, with Seany in the mix.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:11 AM   #25
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 4,246 Times in 1,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksteelers55 View Post
Funny how we quickly put some hype on players that ''look'' promising.We already compare them to JB.The guy has 2 TD against 3rd stringers.

Ill probably get smash for that but remember Gary Russell ? When people used to say he was a bruiser cause he converted a couple of 3rd downs?

Then we drafted Frank Summers,everyone were all sold on him,but now we're all after Redman.

I saw Redman run tonight and wasnt that impress about his running.In fact I dont think he was really better than Justin Vincent.

The guy ran well in goal line formation but again,it was against 3rd stringers and I also want to give credit to the blocking.

We will see in the long run who stays and who doesnt make the cut

Go Steelers
yeah no doubt...i think people are gettin WAAAAY to excited over nothing. practice squad is the ONLY place he could end up unless he proves to be a better fullback and special teams player than davis and summers. you'd think the guy was consistently ripping off ten yard gains all day by the way some of you are acting. the guy had 10 CARRIES FOR 32 YARDS !!! B-F-D !!! 1 OF THEM WAS FOR 13 YARDS SO HE HAD 19 YARDS ON THE OTHER 9 CARRIES ..had he been in the first string lineup, he'd have been getting dropped behind the line just like mendenhall was .

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:56 AM   #26
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
yeah no doubt...i think people are gettin WAAAAY to excited over nothing. practice squad is the ONLY place he could end up unless he proves to be a better fullback and special teams player than davis and summers. you'd think the guy was consistently ripping off ten yard gains all day by the way some of you are acting. the guy had 10 CARRIES FOR 32 YARDS !!! B-F-D !!! 1 OF THEM WAS FOR 13 YARDS SO HE HAD 19 YARDS ON THE OTHER 9 CARRIES ..had he been in the first string lineup, he'd have been getting dropped behind the line just like mendenhall was .

I agree, WAY too excited.

Redman and Vincent both seem like they deserve a shot at playing in the 2nd string next game. Vincent as an everydown powerback and Redman as a short yardage back against second stringers. The Tank should also move up and play there too.

THEN... if they do JUST AS WELL, I would like to see them play against the first string. Stick the tank in there blocking for Mendy or Willie. Let Redman come in for short yardage runs... or vincent.

But right now, all we saw was a very fancy scrimmage game. You do NOT make decisions based on 1 fance scrimmage game.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:10 AM   #27
FSUBoo
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2907

People assume just because Michael Bush is big and runs hard SOMETIMES that he would be great for us. He isn't totally a power back, and more often than not looks like an athletic back who runs with SOME power. Most people fail to remember that he was a QB in HS, and was used alot as a reciever out of the backfield at Louisville.

I say that we trust coach Tomlin's judgement about picking players in the draft and not try to be GMs/coaches. Remember, Tomlin's drafts have proven to be very good so far, and he has accomplished alot as a coach, so lets not get too ahead of ourselves in second guessing the coach who is probably the best young coach in the NFL in a long time.

Someone mentioned Felix Jones, Steve Slaton, Chris Johnson, and Matt Forte all looking better than Mendenhall so far. Slaton and Forte both play on teams with no other decent running backs on them, so they were given opportunities to start early and get alot of playing time. Johnson and Jones are both change of pace guys, and you see that Lendale White and Marion Barber do alot of the dirty, gritty work for the Titans and Cowboys respectively. I'm personally still not convinced that they are both good enough/strong enough to hold up as a feature back in this league. I think Mendenhall is still getting over the jitters and getting a feel for the pro game. He still hasn't started to slam himself up in there like he should, but the longer he's on the field, the more he will do so. Just give him a little time to get used to the speed and physicality of the NFL. In terms of on field speed, physicality, and experience, Mendenhall is still in essence a rookie. You could call this is 9th - 10th NFL game cause he played the preseason last year, and was hurt in game 4 or 5 (cant remember and I'm too tired to look up the exact date lol). So think about this, he hasn't even had a full 16 games to adjust to the pro game. Some running backs take longer than others to show their worth.

I think the drafting of Summers had more to do with his versatility and usefulness as a player overall than just his ability as a power runner. I think that it's nice that Redman got 2 TDs in the first preseason game, but there is a reason he was an undrafted player. I know that our team is one of the best examples that undrafted players can make it with FWP and Silverback, but how many UFAs are signed every summer to contracts, only to be cut by training camp/the season. Lets see what he can do some more against better competition before we go crowning him the next anything.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:16 AM   #28
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

personally i didn't see anything from ANY of them to get too excited about

I. Redman .................... .. 10 -32
J. Vincent ..........................9 - 26
R. Mendenhall..................9 - 24
F. Summers .....................2 - 3
C. Davis ............................1 - 2

i think arians seriously needs to rethink his blocking schemes, because either ..A - it really sucks..or B - it doesn't play to the strengths of the personel ..... i mean we got a bunch of guys that were labeled " maulers " , or " road graders " , but i sure as hell don't see any mauling or road grading being done by them , especially as a unit.... of course its way to soon to judge, but i'm gonna go out on a limb and predict , same sh*t, different season.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-14-2009, 05:27 AM   #29
I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 10606

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
same sh*t, different season.
That's a really scary thought
Old 08-14-2009, 05:37 AM   #30
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold View Post
That's a really scary thought
well i think they will be improved, mostly because of the D's they'll be facing, but i don't look for anything resembling a power running game. i doubt they'll get any higher than 15th in rushing. ... the first few minute kinda reminded me of last year.... 1st down..1 yd lose...3rd down...willie colon penalty.....