Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 08-14-2009, 05:25 AM   #11
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: WTH Is Wrong With Kids Today???

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold View Post
As a guy from the "Gamer Generation", this is complete baloney! I grew up playing Doom and the old GTA games and what not, but I am not a barbarian nor a psychopath.

My parents taught be right from wrong and were firm believers in butt whoopings. Kids now get away with murder, parents do not have control of their kids. Either their parents are both working and they are "raised" by a babysitter or sibling who is just a kid themselves. (read Latch-Key Kids) Or, the parents themselves don't have any morals to pass along to their children. Kids now are so spoiled too, they think the world owes them a favor. When I see a 8 year old kid jabber jawing on their iPhone it makes me want to scream!

It is a common theme in society to blame someone or something else instead of taking responsibility for your actions. Kids do it, adults do it, hell... even the government does it!

It's not my fault I shot the guy, Grand Theft Auto made me do it. It's not my fault I'm addicted to drugs, Snoop Dog made me do it. It's not my fault I'm fat, McDonalds made me this way. It's not my fault I fell off the roof trying to fly, Peter Pan said I could do it

My Grandfather's favorite saying growing up was "you make the bed, you sleep in it". It seems that no longer applies...

P.S.: If you knew me in real life I am HUGE on accountability and responsibility. Excuses just burn my ass!

Couldn't agree more.

My favorite video game to this day was the original Mortal Kombat...which, as I'm sure you know, was used as the catalyst that eventually gave us our wonderful game rating system (I know GTA was the last straw, so to speak, but it started with MK). I remember the furor that was raised over that game, how it was "too violent" and would "cause our kids to become desensitized to violence." Um, yeah, sure. I played that game A LOT and own all of the latest MK games on my home systems, and not once did I want to spear a guy or set him on fire like Scorpion or try to pull a guy's head and spine out like Sub-Zero. I'm a little tired of video games being blamed for all the ills with kids myself. If they want to know why little Billy is such a brat, how about they look in the mirror.

Oh, and speaking of 8 year olds with iPhones, there was a kid about 12 years old that sat in front of me at a Pens game last year that did nothing but sit and text on her iPhone all during the game. Why in the HELL does a kid that age need a cell phone at all, much less a $500 iPhone???
Old 08-14-2009, 06:30 AM   #12
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,583 Times in 1,517 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

The problam today is that everytime you touch a child it is called child abuse. Kids today don't even get whipped in school. I say bring back the padlinigs and straighten kids out the way they should be.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:34 AM   #13
J Dogg
Banned

Member Number: 13272

Bad parents = bad kids.

Face it, there are a lot of bad parents out there. I'm willing to bet anything that the parents of these kids don't think their kids did anything wrong. I see it all the time here in my current job as a military instructor. Most of the kids I interact with on a daily basis are good kids. But there are some whole are total d-bags and they're proud to tell you that they were raised that way.

And for the record, good parenting has NOTHING to do with whipping out the belt. I am so tired of hearing that old chestnut. Good parenting means being engaged with your kids and knowing what's going on with them. Our family has family game night once a week and we play our Wii as a family at least 2-3 nights a week. What kids crave is interaction with their parents and structure. When a kid lacks structure, they'll create it on their own.

That's why I wouldn't trade growing up where I did for anything. In my little hamlet of Western Pa, parents being involved with their kids was rule and not the exception. For all of our cool technology we have, we're less connected to one another than ever before. It's sad and if it doesn't change we're all screwed.
J Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:38 AM   #14
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

I somewhat agree with Preach's first post, and Galax and JDogg above. There is no punishment anymore. I was in a grocery store and everywhere I went there was this heathen child and mother were, I swear, following me around the store. This kid was beyond bad, throwing things, screaming, kicking the shelves, etc. I couldn't beleive what I saw until I saw what the mother did. She grabbed little heathen child by the arm and said " I am counting to three! One.....two.....three." NOTHING, the child did not change his attitude. So, what does the mother do you ask, she starts counting to three again! There has to be a consequence when you get to three. If I ever let my mother get to three when I was growing up, I probably wouldn't be on this earth today.

I look at it this way, and this is kind of a cruel analogy so sorry if people take what I am saying out of context. If a kid sticks his/her hand on a hot stove it is going to hurt like hell and they will not do it again. I don't condone child abuse, but a little punishment would do some good
Old 08-14-2009, 06:43 AM   #15
J Dogg
Banned

Member Number: 13272

There's punishment and then there's acting like an ogre. When I have seen parents physically punish their kids in public, it's almost always been for minor infractions and the kid almost always has that same look in their eyes of "here we go again."

Sorry, but my child has to stab someone in public before I'll physically harm them in public. To me, that's what the white trash parents did where I grew up. And besides, it all goes back to being engaged with your kids. When my kids act up, I pull them to side and talk to them. And guess what, they see what they're doing is wrong and they stop.
J Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:11 AM   #16
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

Send the kids to juvy
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:30 AM   #17
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Here's what is wrong with kids today:

Parents are no longer allowed to physically punish their kids - aka use the whoopin' stick. They have been told for at least 2 decades now that it's not ok for your parents to use corporal punishment. So this is what we get. Children that grow up out of control, lose respect for themselves, for their parents, for their elders, and so-on.

Before too long 7 year olds will be stealing their parent's car because they don't want to go to church. Oh wait, my bad!

Yes there is a fine line between physical discipline and abuse but damn if my daddy ever missed an opportunity to let me know I really screwed up. And I'll be damned if I'll let my daughter walk through life without knowing the same!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:15 PM   #18
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

I agree that there is a HUGE difference between discipline and abuse. Hell - if I looked at my parents crooked when I was a kid, dared to disrespect them or the good and honorable values they instilled in me, I would get my ass beat and I deserved it. The belt, stick, shoe, flyswatter (those fookers HURT!) back-scratcher - whatever my Mom could grab fast and in a hurry. Today, she would be jailed. My kids got their hineys cracked when they needed it and when my 9 year old grandson was a little younger and stepped out of line when in MY home, he got a swat across his tush or a tap in the mouth.

Anyone - whether a child or an adult - who intentionally harms an innocent animal (or child) should get their ass kicked from here to Timbuktoo - no questions asked. Period.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:24 PM   #19
SteelTalons
Starter

Member Number: 11867

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold View Post
As a guy from the "Gamer Generation", this is complete baloney! I grew up playing Doom and the old GTA games and what not, but I am not a barbarian nor a psychopath.

My parents taught be right from wrong and were firm believers in butt whoopings. Kids now get away with murder, parents do not have control of their kids. Either their parents are both working and they are "raised" by a babysitter or sibling who is just a kid themselves. (read Latch-Key Kids) Or, the parents themselves don't have any morals to pass along to their children. Kids now are so spoiled too, they think the world owes them a favor. When I see a 8 year old kid jabber jawing on their iPhone it makes me want to scream!

It is a common theme in society to blame someone or something else instead of taking responsibility for your actions. Kids do it, adults do it, hell... even the government does it!

It's not my fault I shot the guy, Grand Theft Auto made me do it. It's not my fault I'm addicted to drugs, Snoop Dog made me do it. It's not my fault I'm fat, McDonalds made me this way. It's not my fault I fell off the roof trying to fly, Peter Pan said I could do it

My Grandfather's favorite saying growing up was "you make the bed, you sleep in it". It seems that no longer applies...

P.S.: If you knew me in real life I am HUGE on accountability and responsibility. Excuses just burn my ass!
Rep for this!

Can't say it any better, if people can't distinguish whats allowed in entertainment(whether it be music, movies, or games) from real life they are a god damn liar. This is like all those people that blame crimes on marijuana despite the fact marijuana is not ever capable in the slightest of causing that kind behavior. Other than slurring some words or being hungry, nothing off the wall. Beer will make you do stupider things than weed will...

But still. People blame it like they do everything else for why they can't behave. And the reason is quiet simple. If you can make the court think your the victim they will give you a slap on the wrist for whatever you did.
SteelTalons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #20
beSteelmyheart
Team Captain

Member Number: 1249

It all boils down to stupid human trash having children for all of the wrong reasons. People should have to qualify to have children to prove their worthiness as parents, not just any dumb girl who wants a kid to save a marriage or get revenge on some man who rejected her, or to get more welfare.